DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - they are currently two WWE stories as Top Stories on ESPN.com and neither of them puts the company in good light.

This easily could be the third

One of those is the Rousey story?

Was she doing house shows or just an insane tv schedule?  The article mentions that she'd be home for a day and a half a week, and that, if she worked a full year-round schedule, she'd be on the road 200 days a year.

``WWE experienced a positive COVID-19 test, if several members of the roster are to be believed.

Throughout the week, Fightful has been approached by nearly a dozen members of the WWE roster, and within the industry about an alleged COVID-19 positive test in WWE. Days later, Fightful was able to obtain a WWE memo that was sent out via the company's internal app on April 5. We are not including the name of the person noted to have been infected.

It read as follows:

We have just been notified that (name redacted by Fightful) was diagnosed with COVID-19. WWE doctors spoke with (redacted) this morning and reported (they) last had contact with anyone at WWE on March 26 at the Performance Center. As you know, (redacted) is not an in-ring performer and we believe this matter is low-risk to you per the following chronology:

The memo stated that the person infected did provide their consent to share their name and status, noting that they're feeling much better. However, for the privacy of said person, we'll summarize the next paragraph in saying that the person tested positive for COVID-19 after they and their roommate became symptomatic.

The memo continued:

Those of you who were potentially exposed would be cleared for travel by the evening of Thursday, April 9 at the latest, since the last possible exposure to any WWE talent personnel should have been at least 14 days prior.

It closed with Paul Levesque (Triple H) signing off.

Fightful contacted WWE reps multiple times throughout the week, and initially did not gain a confirmation or denial on the story. Towards the end of the week, we did not get a response for a follow up, but were told the memo would be looked in to. We've also reached out to the individual themselves, but can't verify if they've received the inquiry. Please do not inquire about the identity of the positive result, as we will not be providing it.``

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So let me get this straight on maybe the same tapings you have someone get infected with the virus AND you had the Miz running around the building with flu like symptoms as well.   It seems like the Miz getting sick happened around the same time

Edited by hammerva

The Rousey thing looks awful for many reasons.  I mean she is talking about how fake it is which is ironic given that Nia Jax basically outed her as the one who injured Alexa Bliss.  Then talked about how ungrateful the fans were and one of the main reasons why she doesn't plan to come back

I get the whole right to privacy, but it is incredibly irresponsible to announce someone that is a public figure has the virus without saying who it is.  Rudy Gobert visited schools the day before he tested positive.  They were all shut down immediately.  And I had to think it helped make a bad situation not become worse.   Someone made a Michael Cole joke.  Let's say it was him.  How many people do you think he comes in contact with in a day?  40? 50?  Do you think he'd remember every single one of them?  And I'm not singling out WWE.  The NBA keeping the players who tested positive a secret is a joke too.  I hate Kevin Durant but I respect that he at least admitted it.  Whoever tested positive in WWE is clearly someone that could end up shutting them down.  Which obviously is their bigger fear.  Then, you know, roster members dying.

That seems to answer another question. They knew they had a potential outbreak so they filmed a bunch of stuff in case everyone went down. Now that it's after that 14-day window (which is not nearly enough precaution but Vince), it's back to live TV. What a loon.

Speculation was saying Charly is the one, but that's based on her being absent from social media for about a week now so grain of salt

The Ronda thing, going by Lana and Alexas tweets, I'm not sure if this more Ronda/Becky "working the fans" mode like the wrestlemania buildup or if this is something real and they're legit heated with her.

I'd be on board for a modern brawl for all in the sense of open weight division just to see who the real tough guys are. Finally kill this whole obsession with pushes being based on size and look. Just as an example, toss in D-Bry with Jinder and I almost expect Bryan to stretch him a million ways. Give Elias to someone like let's say Gable and let them loose on each other. Stupid idea on my part, 100%, agreed up front, but I just feel, and the numbers can prove me wrong, that pushes based on look/size are wasted versus pushes based on actual talent. (This ignores promo ability and is strictly a shitty talking point about look vs talent)

34 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I get the whole right to privacy, but it is incredibly irresponsible to announce someone that is a public figure has the virus without saying who it is.  Rudy Gobert visited schools the day before he tested positive.  They were all shut down immediately.  And I had to think it helped make a bad situation not become worse.   Someone made a Michael Cole joke.  Let's say it was him.  How many people do you think he comes in contact with in a day?  40? 50?  Do you think he'd remember every single one of them?  And I'm not singling out WWE.  The NBA keeping the players who tested positive a secret is a joke too.  I hate Kevin Durant but I respect that he at least admitted it.  Whoever tested positive in WWE is clearly someone that could end up shutting them down.  Which obviously is their bigger fear.  Then, you know, roster members dying.

From the article, WWE announced who it was internally, but the sheets aren’t saying who out of respect for the person’s privacy.

38 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

It’s almost like people still have a right to privacy.

Ronda is shady in all sorts of ways but it does my heart good to see that it takes someone who has the money to not need to suck up to them mere weeks of being around WWE fans to want to say "FUCK WWE FANS" into every microphone they get near.

It confirms that there are a few shreds of rational coding still at work in this crappy, failing simulation.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Well I guess it depends on the definition of "not on the roster".   Are announcers or refs considered roster talent?  If they are then the obvious person is JBL who hasn't been on WWE TV since a couple of PPV pre-show 

Using how WWE.com would define "on the roster",  WWE.com's roster page says wrestlers, managers, and announcers (PBP,  backstage interviewers, and ring announcers) are roster members. Refs are not on that page.

Presumably from that, it'd point to a referee being the one. 

46 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Speculation was saying Charly is the one, but that's based on her being absent from social media for about a week now so grain of salt

The speculation for Charly was based on the fact she posted things saying she was under quarantine- but having said that, many other people in WWE posted they were under quarantine since then without a claim of problems.

Even if this was a case she was an announcer, it is pretty obvious Charly is NOT the one for a very glaring reason: In addition to working for WWE as an announcer, Charly Caruso also works as an announcer for ESPN. If it was her, that would presumably mean ESPN would also put out a similar statement, if not say it was her much like other TV networks have been saying when one of their announcers caught it.

10 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Has Mauro called NXT since the empty arena shows began?  The couple times I've flipped by, he didn't seem to be present, but I've watched about 30 seconds of NXT since they started barring audiences and haven't read Dave's recaps either, so I could be wrong.

Same point there as for Caruso:  Mauro works for so many other places besides WWE that, if it was him, then other, larger outlets would have disclosed it was him.

Again, even beyond the "WWE.com puts announcers/interviewers on their roster page" thing, The fact WWE can keep the worker's identity private inherently means that the worker only works for World Wrestling Entertainment and does not work for another media outlet- and many of the announce team/interviewers work for other outlets. If it was the case one of those announcers/interviewers contracted it, the other outlets that they work for would also announce they tested positive for COVID...and if that was the case, either the other outlet would confirm "it's this person who did it", OR the fact WWE and this other place confirmed they had a positive case would lead wrestling fans/journalists to realize "WWE and this other outlet confirmed a case with the same details at the same time" and put two and two together.

Edited by SorceressKnight

Just now, SorceressKnight said:

Same point there as for Caruso:  Mauro works for so many other places besides WWE that, if it was him, then other, larger outlets would have disclosed it was him.

Again, even beyond the "WWE.com puts announcers/interviewers on their roster page" thing, The fact WWE can keep the worker's identity private inherently means that the worker only works for World Wrestling Entertainment and does not work for another media outlet- and many of the announce team/interviewers work for other outlets.

Yeah, I didn't really think he was the positive test since that would probably get leaked to MMA press.  The conversation just happened to remind me that I had been wondering if Mauro was still calling NXT or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

From the article, WWE announced who it was internally, but the sheets aren’t saying who out of respect for the person’s privacy.

This must a different bunch of sheets about which I am used to hearing. 

Watching Ted DiBiase Vs. Red Rooster, and I gotta mention how good the entrance music is. Like I know we’ve gotten on Jim Johnston’s case especially with a lot of the music that came out of the 00’s period. But with the popularity of vapor wave, I could see him going back to that Jan Hammer inspired sound, and be accepted back by fans again.

• Like 1

Nia going in hard with her response to Rousey. I'm not sure who I'd take there. Rousey is a gifted fighter, but Nia is giant, Samoan, and angry. We know she packs a punch, too.