DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

The backdrop driver Kansai lands at the start after the chain tug of war is maybe one of the prettiest suplexes I've ever seen. Super clean and crisp, and Ozaki takes it hella perfectly.

Whenever I think of that move, that is the one that comes to mind. Like a dropkick and Okada. They are just tied together forever.

The table piledriver is a thing of beauty too. My goodness.

edit: I want to revisit Debbie Malenko's AJW work. Is she as dope as I remember her being?

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

I had a pal from the Missouri area who would go see underground tough man cage fights, and he says he saw Williams a couple times and he was the real deal (grain of salt alert). I can't imagine he would have done these while he was wrestling, maybe before? This whole part of the thread, this is all I can think of:

tumblr_n3ut1qlAbT1rg89a6o1_1280.jpg

Man, I miss the newsstand magazines.

- RAF, who only advantage in a fight was being able to take a punch (that, and fighting dirty)

• Like 4

god Fourtune was so cringe. A bunch of fucking dweebs in department store suits who looked like they were going to prom with their grandad.

Aces and Eights on the other hand was the last great stable IMO. 

Edited by BurningBeard
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Watched Debbie vs. Takako from '91. Good not great. Takako was still a little green here and the striking wasn't the best but the holds were really crisp, the leg work was well done from both, and the finishing stretch was solid. Debbie, unsurprisingly as she was trained by Boris, was super slick on the mat. 

Fast forwarding to '95 and watching Takako vs. Kansai from JWP. Inoue matured a lot in those four years. Had her badass persona and look, as well as significantly better timing and strikes. Love me a Takako armdrag too. Damn, they kick the shit out of each other here, with Kansai doing her usual stiff kicks and Inoue relying on knees and big boots. The dynamic of the match is Takako being vicious and dominating much of the match by taking it right to Kansai off the bat and not easing up at all. She's always the first to escalate. Kansai is in reaction mode. Watching it, I feel like they are telegraphing the (already obvious) outcome but Takako does so much that there are points where I started to doubt Kansai winning. Some of Takako's late match cut offs are soooo smooth too. There may be an even better backdrop than the one Kansai hit on Ozaki at 19:53 of the video, though it's more gnarly looking and less clean. This match ruled.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

god Fourtune was so cringe. A bunch of fucking dweebs in department store suits who looked like they were going to prom with their grandad.

vrG5EjyCkkUI3FeN4-aTzCsHMakvlSCogpftEl0H

Also, there were seven of them.

Still, both of Beer Money went on to be TNA World Champion (and Roode was a champ in NXT I think?), Storm has a singles title in NWA, Daniels was ROH World Champion, Kazarian was Tag Champ of ROH and AEW, AJ Styles has been a belt collector in WWE, and Doug Williams ended up becoming a BritWres/ retro WoS gateway to a legion of fans and young Wrestlers.

Matt Morgan? He's a big guy. They fired his DNA into space, you know.

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

There may be an even better backdrop than the one Kansai hit on Ozaki at 19:53 of the video, though it's more gnarly looking and less clean. This match ruled.

I just jumped to the backdrop. Yeah, it's fucking incredible. Thanks for the tip, that's now in my YT history so I can watch it if I get bored while I'm in the office today.

Guest Edwin

I don't think I've ever heard of Fortune before, but did a quick Google search and good Lord... ?

I don't think I've ever followed TNA closely, but this one popped up on my YouTube timeline once and every time I saw clips of it, I cried:

JJ_display_image.png?1337454182

MMA Enthusiast Jeff Jarrett. The world wasn't ready for that. ?

TNA was wild.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

It's hard to keep track. I know he turned tweener because the rest of the babyfaces didn't trust him (like the Sting turn) down to some heel stable or other, but there were so many... Aces and Eights went for years. The bit where babyface Bully Ray unmasked the apparent leader of A&8s and it was D-Von, that was good. Tazz turning during the Bully Ray & Brooke Hogan wedding was good. As soon as Bully Ray was revealed as the mastermind all along it was more or less dead in the water. So they kept it going for another 18 months.

Why would you expect Bischoff to know when to end the invading faction angle before it drags, and drags, and drags to a slow painful death?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

Time for Vince to try and revive something else.

Maybe give Slam Ball a second chance, not his idea originally, but hey, why not?

Were you in my bowling team video chat Wednesday? This is exactly what we were talking about.

I'm going to let you guys decide. I'm doing a Pandemic Purge, and I found a bunch of old ECW/WCW tapes from the late 90s till the end in a box. Is it worth holding on to them or should I just trash them?

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'm going to let you guys decide. I'm doing a Pandemic Purge, and I found a bunch of old ECW/WCW tapes from the late 90s till the end in a box. Is it worth holding on to them or should I just trash them?

My rule is never ever ever ever throw out tape of anything for any reason, wrestling or otherwise. I have a real hard on for "lost media" if you will

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1