DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I can see them coming in as "the arrival"    Putting them with Arn is really the only smart way to do it.

I know people keep fantasy booking them with either Arn or Tully, but I'm not sure I need either. They're pretty good talkers in their own right and have shown a capacity for taking all kinds of short-cuts without the aid of a man on the outside.

Anyway, I'll echo @Godfrey in shouting out the Enzo and Cass matches. Probably Revival's most impressive work in WWE. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

WBF? Our current climate could support it.

All the gyms are closed. And apparently it's hard to get illegal drugs during a lockdown, which presumably extends to steroids.

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I hate to be cyincal but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I think the pandemic is a convenient excuse for the XFL shutdown

I mean, why would they shut down now? There attendance in a lot of markets was strong, and there ratings were in line with what they were hoping to get. Fuck, they had a full sized NFL venue in St. Louis almost sold out for the next game before the season got suspended.

This just looks like the pandemic hit at the worst possible time for a league that was hoping for a strong opening season to get them momentum. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Edwin said:

On Ozaki:

She was great in garbage matches. Her feud with Kudo, for example, was excellent and she had some good matches teaming up with Kansai.

What works for me w/ Ozaki is she has natural charisma you can't teach. Bloodthirsty bitch Ozaki vs. Dynamite Kansai in their March 17, 1995 match...hard to beat. The visceral scream she lets out after she reverses Splash Mountain into a cradle in one fluent motion for the win...PRICELESS. Because of that, I can let go of some of the sloppy or nonsensical stuff she does.

I was just rewatching some Manami Toyota matches as Kassius Ohno said she was the GOAT performer ever, so I thought I'd give some of her stuff a rewatch and yeah, unfortunately I can't agree with him on that.

13 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Never been that high on Manami. She's the worst offender of Joshi spot wrestler but she had appeal for being the classical Japanese long, black haired woman and she could sell pretty well in the moment. Other than the Hokuto matches, the hair match with Yamada is the only one I remember getting much joy from. Takako on the other hand isn't the the most mechanically perfect wrestler but she was great at telling a story through her body language. I think she's great. As a whole, there is definitely some roughness in execution and the women knew for the most part they were there for a short time so they absolutely destroyed each other, but I love the style, particularly with the rabid crowds before it turned into gross dudes. Japanese crowds in general can be pretty merciless on fuck ups but still not quite as bad as the mutants. 

I would not go as far as Ohno did, but IMO she is easily top 10 all time most athletic male/female/non binary/whatever ever to step into the squared circle. She is a fucking mutant. However, it has its drawbacks. Just because you're the most athletic female wrestler there has ever been doesn't mean you need to hit approximately 700 dropkicks in a row. GIRL, STOP IT. We get it. Your dropkick is the shit.

I just saw a match with her a few weeks ago that's probably still on Youtube, and I think it was against some girl who didn't do much in her career. It was a pretty good eight or nine minute match where Manami essentially wrestled herself. There was one pretty funny botch where Manami gets tripped on the top rope on a tope, but since she's a freak athlete, she still makes it over the ropes with room to spare. So in my mind I'm asking myself should I count this against or for her case as one of the best wrestlers of all time. She is clearly doing too much too fast, but it's AMAZING to watch.

• Like 1

I can't watch Manami matches. All that screaming. 

If there is gonna be a new Horsemen (which there shouldn't) then they don't need a Paul Roma, they need, in Tully's own words, "a blasting cap". Someone like Tully. So it would have to be either MJF or Sammy Guevara, who are the only guys aside from Jericho that get legit obnoxious heat.

And we totally missed out on a Jumbo vs. Mr. Pogo grudge match dating back to their amateur days. Jumbo would shove that sickle up his ass sideways. There probably is a Pogo match where he is totally outclassed and not even the gimmicks can stop him from getting beat up.

8 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I mean, why would they shut down now? There attendance in a lot of markets was strong, and there ratings were in line with what they were hoping to get. Fuck, they had a full sized NFL venue in St. Louis almost sold out for the next game before the season got suspended.

This just looks like the pandemic hit at the worst possible time for a league that was hoping for a strong opening season to get them momentum. 

Holy shit I looked up the average attendance and they were doing way better than I thought. The seats looked bare for some of the games I caught but they averaged 16-17K. I honestly had no idea. Thanks

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Eh, not a fan of doing that. Sometimes you have to due to horrible commentary but it's not my preferred way of watching wrestling. Kinda like wrestling with no crowds.

If you can deal with shitty chants, you can deal with Ms. Toyota getting her Monica Seles on.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

They were already on planning on being in the red for a few years.  Losing out on at least half of your tv money makes that timetable stretch out a lot longer to where profitability is going to be really hard..

Man, I get it on one hand but how can you watch GAEA Girls and not getting the screaming part about joshi? This was their chance to be free and strong and outgoing in an otherwise repressive society. 

• Like 1

I don't mind it. I've watched plenty of very vocal joshi. But all I remember from the Toyota matches I've seen is 1. someone moving in hyperspeed and 2. screaming. ?‍♂️ I dunno, maybe I should go back and watch again, it's been awhile.

Shit, I got that Dynamite/Ozaki match on in the other tab and it's quite vocal

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He’s too much of a geek. The Horsemen were presented as a Mega Powers of NWA heels. Shawn Spears is no All-Star heel. He’d be a good fall guy of a stable, but not a “Modern Horsemen” stable. The only way for AEW to have a “Modern Horsemen” would be to team Jericho up with Cody, and The Bucks.

Whenever they plan on pushing MJF to the world championship, MJF, Wardlow, and the Top Guys are who I’d run with.

• Like 2

If they ever do a nise 4 Horsemen that would also mean Jericho would've had to have turned babyface at that point because you can't have an effective Horsemen stable playing second fiddle to the Inner Circle.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Bloodthirsty bitch Ozaki vs. Dynamite Kansai in their March 17, 1995 match...hard to beat.

The backdrop driver Kansai lands at the start after the chain tug of war is maybe one of the prettiest suplexes I've ever seen. Super clean and crisp, and Ozaki takes it hella perfectly.

Whenever I think of that move, that is the one that comes to mind. Like a dropkick and Okada. They are just tied together forever.

• Like 3