DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

50 minutes ago, Bigbosseli said:

SturmCRF buy a ring.

For feline gimmicks, does Teddy Hart count?

The cats he brings to the ring are also smarter than him as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Vader/Dustin is, indeed, a classic. But his best match is the bunkhouse match with Bunkhouse Buck from Spring Stampede '94. Probably my favorite WCW match ever.

Hey, that guy's right! 

When I first was watching WCW as not-entirely-smartened-up fan, I liked Dustin but thought Goldust was way better and HATED Buck.  Not in a "That dastardly heel!" kind of way but in a "I wish he was never on TV again, he's terrible" way.  About 5-6 years later, I turned up a bunch of WCW tapes in video stores and went back and watched these and was absolutely BAFFLED at how wrong I was previously.  Buck is amazing, Dustin is amazing.  That whole feud is incredible.  The War Games is maybe not as violent as previous War Games but from a pure crowd-pleasing perspective, it's still one of my favourites.  The noise when Dusty puts the Colonel in the Figure 4 while the Nastys drop elbows is INSANE.  The feud should have ended here but unfortunately it dragged on into that terrible Dustin-Darsow truck match.

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

He did a moonsault off the backstop 30 feet or so at Dunn Tire( now Sahlens) buffalo bisons stadium at a ball park brawl we went to when I was a kid. So yes you are correct.

ETA I peed next local Empire State Wrestling guy Jonny Puma at this show. He counts

Edited by Bigbosseli
Rememberd
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

and they're not covering up the disappearance and likely death of his ex-girlfriend

Another point for the cats

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

What's the youngest someone can appreciate Bunkhouse Buck? 25?

I think early 20s.  Of course, if I had access to DVDVR when I was younger, I probably wouldn't have also disliked Fit Finlay, either!  Somehow I never realized just how violent his matches were early on.  I remember being so bummed when he came back with the blonde hair, because I never liked him when he was first there.  I will blame WCW TV for that one, because their announcers, even on the weekend shows, tended to talk about everything else that was going on during the squash matches, and Dusty (And I love Dusty's commentary) just kind of laughed and enjoyed them stiffing the hell out of each other, and no one really put over how violent it was.  I think JR -as much as I came to dislike his WWE over-the-top style over time- might have been more effective at getting over just how much Finlay and Regal were beating the hell out of each other.  I dunno.

On another topic, for as much as Byron Saxton is frequently disparaged here and elsewhere, I think his call of Kofi Kingston's world title victory was really emotional and excellent.  

On the other end, I think we were all complaining so much about WWE's handling of the Becky-Ronda-Charlotte-Asuka stuff, that the booking of the Reigns-MacIntyre feud really flew under the radar for how bad it was.  I don't remember a lot of outrage about this one but Drew talking about how cancer made Roman soft, "you may have beaten leukemia but you won't beat me", and "How are you going to put your family through this after you put them through your battle with cancer?" was some really bad unnecessary Vince McMahonisms.  All you really had to do was have Drew suggest Reigns' time away had left him soft and give him a couple beatdowns.  Bringing up the cancer again and again and again, really is nauseating and cheapens the whole thing.  Bad, bad, bad.

• Like 1

On a similar theme of the Bunkhouse Buck thing, I let my Bodydonnas hatred blind me about Candido literally until his TNA run.

I didn’t see his SMW stuff at that point, I really hated the Triple Threat (although that was more on Douglas) and had more or less checked out of WCW by the time he turned up there.  

I always read on the internet how great he was but I really never got it.  His TNA run got me into him and I had gone back through a lot of his stuff right around the time he passed away.  I wish I appreciated him more when he was alive.

Just saw the CDC saying that a cloth mask is effective in preventing the spread of coronavirus and you know what that means? LUCHA SHOWS ARE NOW OFFICIALLY SAFE ENOUGH TO START HAPPENING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 3

I really want to see someone use the 'rona as if it were green mist.

First show back in front of a live audience. Hock a loogie on the guy, and have it sold like death. Then do vignettes of the guy self-isolating for 14 days at home recouperating, re-learning the English language, building up to a revenge match, where the second attempt to spit a loogie backfires, and the cowardly heel is the one hooked to a respirator.

For full effectiveness, it'd better be the Miz, and then they recreate the Owen Hart/Shawn Michaels enziguiri feud off it. 

Edited by RolandTHTG

3 hours ago, DangerMark said:

I'm sure that Tigers Mask had a rivalry with a Black Tigers, but now that I think about it, I could be thinking of Black Buffalo.

There was definitely a "Black Tigers" in Osaka Pro who feuded with Tigers Mask. I believe BT was Jeremy Lopez, an American who popped up in WCW near the end of its run and ROH at the start of its existence. He was a Malenko trainee who was somewhat decent albeit too small at the time to get out of the U.S. indies.

Looking at Cagematch, he did some AJPW tours after his Osaka run ended but walked away from wrestling in the mid-2000s after just five years in the ring.

(Cagematch also mentions he did get a two-match audition in front of a live crowd by the WWE in 2003. One was against a pre-death match worker Masada. He was also a TV jobber for a tag match against Rosey/Hurricane.)

Edited by colonial

6 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I really want to see someone use the 'rona as if it were green mist.

First show back in front of a live audience. Hock a loogie on the guy, and have it sold like death. Then do vignettes of the guy self-isolating for 14 days at home recouperating, re-learning the English language, building up to a revenge match, where the second attempt to spit a loogie backfires, and the cowardly heel is the one hooked to a respirator.

For full effectiveness, it'd better be the Miz, and then they recreate the Owen Hart/Shawn Michaels enziguiri feud off it. 

Could you not figure out a way to get the corona on a pole Mr. Russo? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and they're not covering up the disappearance and likely death of his ex-girlfriend

Another point for the cats

Have you ever owned a cat? Cats are jerks. I don't think we can safely assume they aren't accomplices. Mr. Velvet just looks shady AF to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Have you ever owned a cat? Cats are jerks. I don't think we can safely assume they aren't accomplices. Mr. Velvet just looks shady AF to me.

I currently own two. My eldest that passed away in 2016 made it to 19. They're not jerks. That's just hearsay.

• Like 1