DVDVR Message Board

Introducing the AWESOME APRIL NAME SURVIVOR SERIES

RIPPA

Yeah... today is probably a weird day to announce this but this is real. Another "RIPPA wastes way to much time to hopefully distract y'all for even a few moments" thing. And it is so not March Madness. God I should have really spent more time on the name. Oh well.

Ed and I were talking about the concept of the "best" wrestling name. (I think Ed has just finished watching a Terry Gordy match). Anyway - this spun out of that.

I made 48 5 person Survivor Series teams and we will vote on them. I will explain how I made the teams and how the process will work in the next few posts.

This is just a silly thing to be fun. It is not meant to be a "Best Name" tournament. If it was - I would have done things differently (IE: some teams could be WAY stronger). I am not really saying what criteria you should use to vote on since you will all have your own.

Everything will start tomorrow (April 2) and run for at least a couple of weeks.

Criteria for Selecting Teams

Okay - as per usual - I put wide rules on myself because that's what I do. But things to know when looking at teams

• Wrestler could only be on one team
  • I used common gimmick names. I did not use names where a guy might have used the name once.
  • I used shoot names if the person had a gimmick where their name wasn't really a name (Think Undertaker, Sting or Edge). Obviously if they worked under their shoot name that helped too.
  • I purposely excluded the known terrible people (ie: Chris Benoit and Jimmy Snuka). I didn't want to have to deal with I CAN'T VOTE FOR A MURDER~! OR A CHILD TOUCHER~! etc... And if you trigger the word filter, so help me God.
  • I tried to mix up eras of wrestling so I newer wrestlers sometimes got the edge over having like a 5th guy from JCP on the same team. And any chance I got to include a foreigner worker or female worker, I took it.
  • As I kinda hinted at in the first post - I could have made stronger teams but I needed to get to 48. So you will see things like a team for Rick and a team for Ricky or Billy being separate from William. Things like that. (It also could be that I just really wanted a Team Dick)

I am going to list all teams. They are in alphabetical order. The order within the team means nothing beyond that was the order I thought of them and then entered them into Excel.

I feel like a lot of you are about to learn that Rhonda is the feminine of Ronald

Spoilerized for size

Spoiler
ADAM Adam Cole Adam Copeland (Edge) Adam Bridle (Angelico) Adam Brooks Adam Flash
AKIRA Akira Taue Akira Tozawa Akira Hokuto Akira Maeda AKIRA
ANTONIO Antonio Inoki Antonio Cesaro Antonio Honda Antonio Banks (MVP) Antonio Rocca
AUSTIN Austin Aries Austin Idol Austin Creed Austin Theory Austin Matelson (Luchasaurus)
BARRY Barry Windham Barry Houston Barry Horowitz Barry Hardy Barry Darsow
BILLY Billy Robinson Billy Kidman Billy Jack Haynes Billy Graham Billy Ken Kidd
BOB Bob Armstrong Bobby Fish Bob Backlund Bobby Eaton Bob Orton Jr
BRIAN Brian Pillman Brian Kendrick Brian Cage Brian Christopher Brian Adams
BUDDY Buddy Rogers Buddy Landell Buddy Roberts Buddy Rose Buddy Murphy
CHRIS Chris Jericho Chris Adams Chris Hero Chris Candido Chris Dickinson
CURT/KURT Curt Hennig Kurt Angle Curtis Hughes Curtis Iaukea Curt Stallion
DAN Daniel Bryan Dan Severn Dan Spivey Danny Collins Dan Kroffat
DAVE/DAVEY Davey Boy Smith David Starr Dave Finlay Dave Bautista Dave Mastiff
DEAN Dean Malenko Dean Ambrose Dean Allmark Doc Dean Dean Roll (Shark Boy)
DICK Dick the Bruiser Dick Murdoch Dick Slater Dick Togo Dick Beyer
DOUG Doug Williams Doug Gilbert Doug Furnas Doug Basham Doug Summers
ED Eddie Guerrero Ed the Strangler Lewis Eddie Gilbert Ed Farhat (Shiek) Eddie Kingston
FRANK Frank Goodish (Bruiser Brody) Frankie Kazarian Frank Parker Frank Parris (Air Paris) Frankie Lancaster
GEORGE Gorgeous George George Steele George South George Wells George Takano
JACK Jack Lanza Cactus Jack Jack Gallagher Jack Brisco Jack Evans
JAKE Jake Roberts Jake Lee Jake Hager Jake Atlas Jake Crist
JASON/JAY Jay Brisco Jay Lethal Jay White Jason Jordan Chief Jay Strongbow
JEFF Jeff Jarrett Jeff Hardy Jeff Cobb Jeff Peterson Jeff Gaylord
JERRY/GERRY Jerry Lawler Gerry Brisco Jerry Lynn Jerry Blackwell Jerry Estrada
JIM Jimmy Valiant Jim Neidhart Jimmy Del Ray Jim Brunzell Jim Golden
JOE/JOEY Samoa Joe Joey Mercury Joey Janela Joey Ryan Joe Malenko
JOHN Johnny Saint John Cena John Tenta John Morrison Johnny Gargano
KEN Kenny Omega Ken Timbs Ken Patera Ken Shamrock Ken the Box
KEVIN Kevin Von'Erich Kevin Owens/Steen Kevin Sullivan Kevin Nash Kevin Thorn
MARK Mark Callaway (Undertaker) Mark Henry Mark Jindrak Mark Rocco Mark Brisco
MATT Matt Hardy Matt Riddle Matt Jackson Matt Borne Matt Cross
MIKE Mikey Whipwreck Mike Quackenbush Mike Enos Mike Awesome Speedball Mike Bailey
NICK Nick Bockwinkle Nick Aldis Nick Gage Nick Dinsmore Nick Jackson
PAT Pat Patterson Pat O'Conor Pat Tanaka Pat Kenney (Simon Diamond) Patrick Clark (Velveteen Dream)
PAUL Paul Levesque (Triple H) Paul London Paul Wight (Big Show) Paul Orndorff Paul Roma
REY/RAY Rey Mysterio Jr Ray Stevens Rey Bucanero Ray Gonzalez Ray Traylor (Big Bossman)
RICK Ric Flair Rick Steiner Rick Fuller Rick Rude Rick Martel
RICKY Ricky Steamboat Ricky Morton Ricky Banderas Ricky Fuyuki Ricky Marvin
ROBERT Robert Gibson Rob Van Damn Robert Fuller Robert Roode Robbie Brookside
RON Ron Simmons Ron Garvin Rob Bass Rhonda Rousey Ron Killings
SCOTT Scott Steiner Scotty 2 Hotty Scott Hall Scott Levy (Raven) Scott Norton
SHANE Shane Douglas Shane McMahon Shane Helms Glamour Boy Shane Shane Strickland
SHAWN/SEAN Shawn Michaels Shawn Stasiak (Shawn) Hernandez Shawn Spears Sean Waltman
STEVE Steve Austin Steve Williams Steve Borden (Sting) Steve Armstrong Steve Richards
TERRY Terry Gordy Terry Funk Terry Bollea (Hulk Hogan) Terry Brunk (Sabu) Terry Taylor
TOM Tommy Rogers Tommy Dreamer Tommy Rich Tom Pritchard Tom Billington (Dynamite Kid)
TONY Tony Atlas Tony Kazina Toni Storm Tony Deppen Tony Nese
WILLIAM/BILL William Regal Will Ospreay Bill Dundee Bill Goldberg Bill Irwin

Finally - the process

There will be EIGHT (8) pools of SIX (6). In each pool you will vote for TWO (2) teams.

Top TWO (2) teams (the ones with the highest vote total) in each pool will advance

Then it will be a straight single elimination bracket from there.

Most likely I will do TWO (2) pools a day. This part could change though based on my own schedule.

It should be fairly easy since it isn't like you need to do research for this one.

Problem with prepping the threads ahead of time is that they are timestamped 15 hours ago. So yeah... this will be my placeholder thread for where I put the groups once I figure them out.

Problem with prepping the threads ahead of time is that they are timestamped 15 hours ago. So yeah... this will be my placeholder thread for where I put the groups once I figure them out.

• RIPPA featured this topic

Teams that are interesting

Akira: I think they have real late round potential.

Bob: Lots of heavy hitters here, though Fish is the teams weak link.

Dick: Fucking hell thats a great group.

Eddie: Just the fire of them as a heel unit with promos from Guerrero, Kingston, and Gilbert. Hot damn. Add in Strangler and Shiek and we have the dominant crazy brawling team.

Jack: Just the best pure random team around. I love them just for that.

Both teams Rick and Ricky: Good decision to split them, as a team of Flair, Steamboat, Martel, Morton, and Rude would steam roll this entire completion.

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ed and I were talking about the concept of the "best" wrestling name. (I think Ed has just finished watching a Terry Gordy match). Anyway - this spun out of that.

Yep.  I have far too many ideas apparently that are inspired by Terry Gordy matches.

Rippa was proud of TEAM DICK~~!!! far too much.  But my Ken team is motherfucking inspired!

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Should be Bob Slaughter. Even Roop or Roode would be better

I had Roode and like two others but as I said I was going for variety because that was another team that could have ended up being all from the 80s

• Like 1

Okay I am working on the first group of pool polls now.

I randomized the Names 15 times so that seems to have mixed things up well enough. As for how it works beyond that - if you are familiar with how the World Cup works then you know what I am doing.

Each Name has been assigned a Group (Group A - Group H). Each Group has SIX (6) names

Top TWO (2) from each pool advances. Then, based on finish, they would get a slot in the bracket. (So Group A winner would be A1. 2nd place would be A2). I haven't decided how I am breaking ties yet.

Those SIXTEEN (16) teams will be placed in a bracket as such

A1 vs. C2

E2 vs. G1

B1 vs. D2

F2 vs. H1

A2 vs. C1

E1 vs. G2

B2 vs D1

F1 vs H2

I am sure a team will get screwed somehow someway during this process but I have already thought about it too much.

This sounds like a drinking game that Dean & I had once when we tried to come up with the perfect wrestling name.

I thought I had Dean with Switchblade Shane Morgan but then he came up with fucking Mitsuharu Kobayashi and  "The Carolina Cripper" Chris Justice.

I had nothing after that.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2020 at 4:18 PM, RIPPA said:

• I used shoot names if the person had a gimmick where their name wasn't really a name (Think Undertaker, Sting or Edge). Obviously if they worked under their shoot name that helped too.

You don't seem to have stuck to this rule too strictly. Bruiser Brody, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, and Montel Varsuvius Porter all got filed under their shoot names.

7 hours ago, tbarrie said:

You don't seem to have stuck to this rule too strictly. Bruiser Brody, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, and Montel Varsuvius Porter all got filed under their shoot names.

I didn't list every single name that wasn't really a name nor was I going to explain the rationale for every single person.

But if you want to know, no one thinks of MVP as Montel. They think MVP.

Hunter was always Triple H. And in the weird WWE kayfabe/shoot storylines now he gets called Paul plenty.

And Brody worked matches under both his shoot name and as Frank Brody

3 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

with all due respect, is there a reason there wasn't a team of Greats? Great Sasuke, Great Antonio, Great Muta, etc

I thought about it since I thought about team a Team Black and Cat themed one but I decided to go with just straight names since it felt a little like opening Pandora's Box otherwise

I protest the lack of Team Alex. Alexander Hammerstone, Lex Luger, Alexander Otsuka, Rusev and Alex Shelley is a hell of a unit.

• Like 1