DVDVR Message Board

Go Home Raw, You Are Drunk - 3/30/2020

Dolfan in NYC

34 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

The go-home show for WrestleMania 36 did the lowest number for a live Raw episode in modern history with 1.92 million viewers on average.

The 1.65 million viewers for hour three was the lowest in the history of the show, even beating the episode on Christmas Eve of 2018.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Reading about DAZN holding back payments to Bellator makes me think USA, and TNT would do the same to both WWE, and AEW if they don’t provide new content.

With DAZN being so live event heavy and already looking to acquire additional funding just a few months ago, this was just a foregone conclusion. With no events, I imagine people are cancelling (or freezing) their subs left and right. Speaking on the Bellator and boxing side, I can say there isn't a scheduled event on their calendar until July in the case of boxing (I expect Joshua/Pulev on June 20 at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium to get PPD shortly) and October in the case of Bellator (they just cancelled their May events this morning). 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

This is the second time in two weeks that someone has said this, and I still don't get it. 1 in 4 Americans are stuck at home right now. Are we supposed to just panic-watch the nightly news or something?

News programming has been absolutely dominating cable ratings.

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

News programming has been absolutely dominating cable ratings.

Granted I usually only pay attention to the Top 50 on Thursday morning, but since October is when I started paying attention... cable news always dominates the ratings, regardless of what's going on in the world.

Okay, pump the brakes: Ratings are as important as they have ever been, that is to say, not at all. However, it's clear Vince makes a number of decisions based on those numbers. If Vince decides to shut down and send everyone home because these horrible shows aren't performing to expectations, then that's a good thing and also a big news story in the wrestling world.

And y'all? We need distractions right now. For basically everyone on this board, wrestling is the best possible distraction. Let us talk about it. Of course it's not important when compared to a global pandemic. If you want to see us lose our collective shit about that, that thread is in the Land of Confusion sub. It's the one named after that catchy asshole of a song. Thanks a lot for that one, by the way, @Dolfan in NYC...

giphy.gif

Edited by MORELOCK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, (BP) said:

We’ve been fantasy booking Biker Taker w/ his Old Lady Michelle McCool every Wrestlemania season for years, and when it finally happens it’s this. Didn’t mind the promo that much; he’s always been better when he didn’t have to oversell the zombie wizard mortician stuff on the mic anyway. 

Im sad we wont get BikerTaker/McCool vs BikerHunter/Steph in some sort of "Tug of War" Monster Motorbike battle.

I actually went searching for pics, and found a couple. But I’m still a skeptic. If he actually road he would’ve came in to Mania on a two wheeler. Big ass wife in tow. If Taker didn’t have McCool he would’ve rode in with fucking Paul Bearer. That’s how much balls he has as a rider.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I have no idea if Hunter rides, but that's the basis of this fantasy build up. Taker calling Triple H out for being a 'fake biker'. Someone who has gone corporate and isn't metal any more. Someone who had to bust out the fat 3 wheeler because he couldn't handle a 'real' hog.

The match is a "Biker Bar Brawl" (basically no DQ, maybe first blood or KO stip?) that ends in a massive confrontation between the Kliq (HBK, Nash, Hall, Waltman & Road Dogg) and the BSK (Godfather, Rikishi, Savio Vega & the Godwinns) ala nWo v DX. 

Edited by L_W_P

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I do think we've had just about the best run of promos the last few weeks on RAW in years.

well this is one way to finally end the "What?" chants...

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Reading about DAZN holding back payments to Bellator makes me think USA, and TNT would do the same to both WWE, and AEW if they don’t provide new content. So even if the ratings keep dipping, they’ll have no choice but to give these channels what they want.

I'm guessing media companies will be reluctant to do this with bigger companies.  Right now, people seem to be operating on the theory that sports leagues and live events will be able to come back in some form in the near future (fall maybe?).  USA seems to want to be in business with the WWE, ESPN wants to continue to do business with the NFL and NBA, etc.  I also think it's going to be harder to withhold payments than media companies think, since the content providers can argue that they are ready and willing to deliver content but are being prevented by government interference.  A lot depends on specific contract language, of course.

• Like 1

I wasn't looking forward to this WrestleMania on paper.  I think Edge vs. Orton was likely the best build of any match and it probably would have been good,  I think the crowd would have been fully engaged.  

Brock vs. Drew McIntyre was interesting.  

Everything else was ehhh to me.  Maybe I would have come around on some of it but all these part timers and then the same performers in the key matches etc...  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

Is he even the one that’s writing “This is Mark speaking to Allen Jones”? Sounds like Heyman going overboard with the lame shoot promos.

if anybody deserves heat it’s him.

also somebody should’ve ran that promo by AJ. He would at least know who was on the roster when he was in TNA. Because otherwise it made Taker sound like a heel Baron, who didn’t know what the fuck he was talking about.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

33 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

FWIW Meltzer apparently reported that he does have heat with the current roster over this.

I 100% guarantee that if this was true, Undertaker doesn't give a shit.

It’s a sentiment that’s out there but isn’t necessarily the actual opinion of Taker, just like I doubt AJ has any ill will towards McCool. This is what happens with shooty stuff, especially when there’s at least a grain of truth.

I don’t blame the roster for being pissed though, especially when it’s coming from one of the most protected wrestlers of the last thirty years (even when he was booked like shit.) It’s like when he told Jericho to get over it and job to Fandango at Wrestlemania. As great as he is, I’d love to see Taker start from square one today and find out if he feels the same way about the process. 

Fuck biker Taker I still want Gangsta Taker. He could have gotten his buddy Post Malone to do a remixed intro of Better Now just for Mania that goes “You probably think that you are deader now, deader now” while riding on the back of a ninja motorcycle Taker is using to get to the ring.