DVDVR Message Board

20-10s HORROR Pimping Thread

RIPPA

Because of the preferences of the folks around here - Horror pimping could single-handedly overwhelm a General thread (just look at the first thread for the start of it). So here is your very own thread.

Some places you might want to start (or totally disagree with)

Film School Rejects (Top 50)

Bloody Disgusting (Top 25)

I liked the Evil Dead re-whatever an awful lot, and I still can’t see an argument for it being above either of Peele or Aster’s movies. 

And goddamit I need to see Doctor Sleep. My watchlist is up to like forty movies and thats without considering docs. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Phew. I thought not putting Get Out as #1 was a drubbing, but #31? Was that written by the Oscar committee?

Anyway, reading those just accents my inability to do the poll itself because if I couldn't do a top 50 horror then there's no way in hell I could do a top 100 general period. 

(Fury Road would be my #1 though, pretty sure of that)

Edited by Curt McGirt

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Phew. I thought not putting Get Out as #1 was a drubbing, but #31? Was that written by the Oscar committee?

The Oscar Committee that nominated it for Best Picture? And gave it an Oscar for best screenplay?

I thought it was enjoyable. I don't think I'd put it in my Top 100 General Movies. I think I might put Us though.

Your A24 List of Naughts arthouse horror goodness:

1. Hereditary
  2. Under The Skin
  3. Green Room
  4. The Witch
  5. Midsommar
  6. It Comes At Night
  7. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
  8. The Blackcoat's Daughter

If you haven't seen any of these yet, you need to get crackin'.  Quite a few are available on Netflix and Amazon Prime, but you may have to hit up Redbox or some other OnDemand service for something like Midsommar or Hereditary.

A24 also has a black comedy on Netflx called Life After Beth which is a zombie rom-com with a weirdly solid ensemble cast (Aubrey Plaza, Dane DeHaan, Anna Kendrick, John C. Reilly, Molly Shannon, Paul Reiser).

I still need to check out Denis Villeneuve's Enemy with Jake Gyllenhaal which I have heard is quite good.

I also need to watch In Fabric.

Edited by J.T.

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If you haven't seen any of these yet, you need to get crackin'.  Quite a few are available on Netflix and Amazon Prime, but you may have to hit up Redbox or some other OnDemand service for something like Midsommar or Hereditary.

Both Midsommar and Hereditary are on Prime

Okay - this is what is weird. I could have sworn Under the Skin was shit on when it came out so I was a little surprised to see it on best of lists and folks pimping it around here.

So now I am wondering if I was just seeing Anti-ScarJo people being all angry and not actually judging the movie on the actual movie

Or if I am confusing it with another movie

My sister manages the Amazon Prime account while I handle Netflix.  She allows me to watch Man In The High Castle in exchange for a regular diet of Grey's Anatomy.

I'm never hip on what the latest and greatest is on Amazon Prime and I am kinda shocked that Hereditary hasn't been hit one of the premium channels yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - this is what is weird. I could have sworn Under the Skin was shit on when it came out so I was a little surprised to see it on best of lists and folks pimping it around here.

So now I am wondering if I was just seeing Anti-ScarJo people being all angry and not actually judging the movie on the actual movie

I think a lot of incels and neckbeards were hyped about ScarJo shedding her clothing only to find out that Under The Skin is not a terribly erotic movie.

It is totally fucking awesome, but you can make a drinking game about the relationship in the movie plot between ScarJo getting naked and bad shit about to go down.

It is a very artsy sci-fi / horror joint and it's not for everyone (it even took me one or two viewings to get into it), but the faithful watcher will be rewarded with a very thought provoking and well crafted story that is almost entirely devoid of dialogue.  It is also one of those movies that is much better than the novel that inspired it.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I really need to see Us. 

I think it's still available via HBO Go or through other streaming / rental venues.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Were there anti-ScarJo people when Under the Skin came out?  I thought that only started with Ghost In The Shell.

Like J.T. said, it's a very arthouse movie so I'm not surprised there would be people who hated it.  But critics always loved it as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

It could be I am confusing the two since they both involved people being worked up over Scar-Jo in various forms of the nude

There is a slight chance I was confusing it with The Skin I Live In (though that has good reviews too)

Bloody Disgusting's list is kinda suspect.  Not enough love for Attack The Block and maybe too much for Evil Dead.  Half of my A24 Best Of list was better than Evil Dead.

Lords of Salem wasn't even the best Zombieverse movie in the Naughts.  It was a close second to 31 but that's a low bar to hurdle.

Horror is never really a genre I go out of my way to see. Although, running through this reminded me that I probably should check out some of the stuff mentioned above, and I seem to recall people really liking You're Next.

I'll be curious if people end up ranking It Follows on their lists.

Probably 10 Cloverfield Lane or Annihilation will rank highest for me until I see some stuff I missed if you count those as horror.

It Follows would make my list if it were strictly horror, but probably not a general ballot.

Convesely, You're Next could make my general ballot.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

There are some brilliant and genuinely terrifying moments in It Follows, but there are also a few plot holes you could drive a truck through.  The video is spot on about the beginning scene.  Goosebumps by the score and all credit goes to brilliant camerawork and it really sets the table for what's to come.

The poor girl in the opener is so frightened out of her mind that she doesn't even realize how hard it is to walk in those shoes, nor does she really fucking care.  The only thing on her mind is survival.

Spoiler

And the position her body is in with her leg snapped in half fully displays her ridiculous shoes.   Symbolic or no, that brief shot scared the living shit out of me.

The condition of her corpse also clues you in about what is in store.  This curse is not a silent, subtle killer.  It will fucking mangle you.  It is the prospect of a sure, painful, violent death from an entity that only the victim an see that also makes It Follows absolutely terrifying and totally fucking great.

You're Next had a meaner spirit that I enjoyed a bit more than It Follows and it had one of the best final girls in recent memory.

Both movies are equally awesome, though.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Guest The Magnificent 7
11 hours ago, J.T. said:

Your A24 List of Naughts arthouse horror goodness:

1. Hereditary
  2. Under The Skin
  3. Green Room
  4. The Witch
  5. Midsommar
  6. It Comes At Night
  7. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
  8. The Blackcoat's Daughter

A24 also has a black comedy on Netflx called Life After Beth which is a zombie rom-com with a weirdly solid ensemble cast (Aubrey Plaza, Dane DeHaan, Anna Kendrick, John C. Reilly, Molly Shannon, Paul Reiser).

I still need to check out Denis Villeneuve's Enemy with Jake Gyllenhaal which I have heard is quite good.

I also need to watch In Fabric.

I’m apparently an A24 horror mark because I’ve seen all those. The Witch is the best and will likely finish top 10 overall for me. Green Room and It Comes at Night are awesome. The rest are good with the exception of Blackcoat’s Daughter which was really disappointing. 

Under the Skin is great in parts, but overall is really inconsistent and you don’t need to see an interview with the director to know a lot of the dialogue was “improvised” with randos getting into a van. Not sure how much of that was true but it sure feels like it. 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 7:05 AM, RIPPA said:

Both Midsommar and Hereditary are on Prime

Green Room, Under the Skin, It Comes At Night, The Witch, and The Blackcoat's Daughter are on Netflix.

Subbed and dubbed versions of Train To Busan were recently added to Tubi, IIRC.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I thought horror this decade was ok for the most part. There’ll be a decent chunk of them on my ballot.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

Berbarian Sound Studio

Bone Tomahawk

The Conjuring 1 & 2

Get Out

Greasy Strangler

Green Room

I Saw the Devil

It Follows

The Lords of Salem

Mandy

Train to Busan