DVDVR Message Board

20-10s Documentary Pimping Thread

RIPPA

I think that Documentaries are always criminally underrated in these type of things and I am STILL bitter about Hoop Dreams not making the Greatest list.

Anyway - this is a reminder that these are movies too and you might want to consider them.

A starting point - these are the things that were nominated for Best Documentary at the Oscars (links go to IMDB). This is 2010-2014

Inside Job (Winner)

Exit Through the Gift Shop

Gasland

Restrepo

Waste Land

Undefeated (Winner)

Hell and Back Again

If A Tree Falls

Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory

Pina

Searching for Sugar Man (Winner)

Five Broken Cameras

The Gatekeepers

How to Survive a Plague

The Invisible War

20 Feet From Stardom (Winner)

The Act of Killing

Cutie and the Boxer

Dirty Wars

The Square

Citizenfour (Winner)

Finding Vivian Maier

Last Days in Vietnam

The Salt of the Earth

Virunga

I'm not the biggest documentary guy, but this one was just lovely.  Faces Places is with the incredible director Agnes Varda who partners up with visual artist JR and the two drive around France in his wacky little camera-mobile and talk to people, take people's photos and create some incredible pieces of art.  This was my favourite movie I watched for the first time in all of last year.

Night Will Fall (2014) needs to be seen so history won't repeat itself but it's horrific using footage of Nazi concentration camps deemed too intense for the general populace at the time.  Channel 4 first showing of it was on Holocaust Memorial Day and aired without ad breaks, I don't remember them ever doing that before or since.

Also from that year, Citizenfour about Edward Snowden on US intellegence programs and civil liberties.

• Like 1

THE ACT OF KILLING will be very high on my list.  Everybody should see that.  A very powerful, ballsy film.

But I’ve somehow never seen the companion film that was released a couple of years later, THE LOOK OF SILENCE.  I should probably check that out.

Edited by EVA

I really wish we had done a straight doc poll instead. There have been enough in this decade alone to fill at least a 50 vote ballot. I'll sprinkle a few in as I generally do but there is way too much great cinema to make it a doc heavy ballot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EVA said:

THE ACT OF KILLING will be very high on my list.  Everybody should see that.  A very powerful, ballsy film.

But I’ve somehow never seen the companion film that was released a couple of years later, THE LOOK OF SILENCE.  I should probably check that out.

After watching the trailer that is next on my Prime list. And I will end up a wreck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Execproducer said:

I really wish we had done a straight doc poll instead. There have been enough in this decade alone to fill at least a 50 vote ballot. I'll sprinkle a few in as I generally do but there is way too much great cinema to make it a doc heavy ballot.

Well docs are always in these.

I tried to start a Best Doc ballot (you can see the evidence in this folder) but no one seemed to care (just like no one cared about the Horror one)

Okay - Documentaries I am at least going to consider (and we aren't gonna talk my pile of shame)

• Tim's Vermeer
  • Best of Enemies
  • Freakonomics

I know some folks might think about Jodorowsky's Dune but that was a whole lotta "meh" for me

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For the horror - I had a deadline that no one cared about since I only got 3 ballots

I blame JT

I forget what fresh hell I was embroiled in that kept me out of the voting.

If we hold a party this year, I will be sure to bring a gift.

I am sure I will hate all of your Best Horror ballots and you will probably hate mine.

Edited by J.T.

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - Documentaries I am at least going to consider (and we aren't gonna talk my pile of shame)

• Tim's Vermeer
  • Best of Enemies
  • Freakonomics

I know some folks might think about Jodorowsky's Dune but that was a whole lotta "meh" for me

Tim's Vermeer and Best of Enemies are both fantastic....as is Tower... but I just can't fill this thing up with docs. In an either or situation I'm going with Tim's Vermeer. That is going to make my ballot.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

...I can't even...

wener-herzog-rolling-stone-interview-rea

That deserves the full 10/10 Herzog "No." faces. 

EDIT: Oh, and I watched The Act of Killing. It was as vicious and soul-crushing as expected.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Restrepo being nominated and winning made me remember that one. That's a pretty intense documentary if you never saw it. One of the two dudes that made it passed away doing some more combat filming for a follow up.

Here's another strong documentary. I was honestly shocked that it wasn't nominated by the Academy, and it made me remember that most people were thrown off by that too.

EDIT: Restrepo did not win.

Edited by Chaos
  • Like 1

Just now, Control said:

I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO is fantastic and everyone who doesn’t know James Baldwin should have to watch it. 

It has been on my pile of shame forever - last I looked it is still available on Amazon prime (though I feel like it might be on Youtube in full too)

• Like 1