DVDVR Message Board

20-10s General Pimping Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Sicario is essential. The sequel was unfairly maligned but will also be on my list. 

More under the radar stuff off the top of my head for your consideration..

Wind River

I thought ‘Wind River’ was awesome than shocked to see it near the bottom of the decade on that Vulture list.  That climax with the hunting rifle was NUTS

44 minutes ago, caley said:

I thought ‘Wind River’ was awesome than shocked to see it near the bottom of the decade on that Vulture list.  That climax with the hunting rifle was NUTS

Fully agree.  Also upset to see Listen Up Philip in the bottom section.

A Dark Song in the top 50 is a W-I-L-D pick.  Not that it's bad, it's decent, but I would describe it as B-movie horror (albeit with an exceptional ending) and I'm very surprised a critic would put it that high.

I can also spoil one spot on my list. #100 is totally going to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2K8I28zejw

Grown Ups 2: I'm still a big enough Adam Sandler fan that I think I've seen all his comedy films (Actually, I don't think I ever watched 'Sandy Wexler') and enjoyed most of them (I even laughed a few times at 'Murder Mystery'!).  Now I HATED the first 'Grown Ups', it has to be among the most superficial movies ever made with the characters all sitting around making fun of everyone else's appearances/weight etc. etc. and tried to shovel home some ham-fisted lesson about the earnestness of small-town life that it had no business even trying.  But, I actually LOVE 'Grown Ups 2' which, to be fair, is just as superficial and vapid as the first one, but also doesn't try to be something it's not.  It's basically Adam Sandler's dream world: where he retires to a small(ish) town, hangs out with all his friends, does stupid stuff, parties, fights and then end the day eating pancakes and goes home to his hot wife. Where the first one tried to ram home some message at the end, the sequel ends with all his friends dressing up as 80s characters for a party then get into a giant comical fistfight with local college frat boys.  It's not as good movie -not in the least- but it's basically 2+ decades of Adam Sandler films/SNL sketches coming together for pure silliness: Kevin James, David Spade, Chris Rock, those two guys who are in all his movies, Jon Lovitz, Colin Quinn, Steve Buscemi, Maya Rudolph, Ellen Cleghorn, Tim Meadows, Shaquille O'Neal, etc. etc.  It's stupid, it's sophmoric, it's silly, I've watched it like 5 times.

BTW, there will be at least two other Sandler films on my list, one of which is...

The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected): which is a wonderful little family comedy that got unfairly ignored because it came right at the height of Sandler hatred (Right after his big Netflix deal and run of derided films like 'Pixels', 'Blended' and 'The Ridiculous 6'), and got tossed out with the trash.  But it's actually a really terrific Noah Baumbach ('Marriage Story')-directed film, starring Sandler as the son of a noted artist (Dustin Hoffman) in a sort of arrested development: dealing with his father's new love, his daughter going off to college, and trying to connect with his successful brother (Ben Stiller).  It's funny, it's sad, and has this incredible scene-stealing performance from Elizabeth Marvel as his oft-ignored sister.

I'm pretty sure I'm incapable of watching a Baumbach movie at this point. I made it maybe ten minutes into Meyerowitz stories before I turned it off. I've tried Marriage Story three times, and the furthest I've made it is maybe halfway. I remember enjoying Squid and the Whale, but that was 15 years ago and I have no desire to revisit it. Everything I've seen since has made me want to slap the privilege out of someone, and I have a low tolerance for people like me talking about privilege. I know I should watch both of these movies to have an informed list, but I literally don't think I can without wanting to punch a wall. 

The Sandler hatred is unjust, but even I have my limits. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Two first time watches for this project over the past two days I've wanted to see for a while: 

Nightcrawler (2014) will make my final ballot, a film that looks at the media from how grisly news footage is acquired to ethics, and lack thereof. I was taken aback at how sinewy Gyllenhaal is, unlikeable too. Surprised he didn't pick up an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor.

Snowpiercer (2013) .You know when you invest in something and then the last third/ending feels flat to you, more so as you've invested that time leading up to it? That's how I felt about the third act of Snowpiercer.  Did it undo what came before it? Can you still vote for something on the last 75% and not the last part? Hmmm. There's an eerie start to it seeing "The Weinstein Company". Never liked Harvey and even less now for what he was found guilty of this year. The bastard.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Comic book movies, my favourite genre...

21 out of 23 films came from Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe this decade. Of those, 5 are locks to make the final ballot. I'll mention 3/5: Avengers Assemble (2012), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) and Avengers: Infinity War (2018).  I'd consider a few more besides the five certainties.

DC had mixed fortunes. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) was liked by most but there's a vocal minority against it. It's the weakest entry in Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. The DCEU got a kicking notably Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) and Suicide Squad (2016) provided the worst Joker ever in Jared Leto. Wonder Woman (2017) righted the ship and Joker (2019) became the biggest grossing R rated film ever making a billion at the box office. DC's best work came in animation, I refer to Batman: Under the Red Hood (2010), Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013) and 2017's Teen Titans Go To The Movies.

Fox was hit and miss with X-Men. The highs: Deadpool (2016) and Logan (2017) with real lows in X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) and X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019).

Spider-Man had a rough start with the Marc Webb Amazing Spider-Man (2012, 2014) films. Those tanked leading Sony Pictures to share Spider-Man with Marvel Studios allowing Marvel's greatest character to finally join the Marvel Cinematic Universe in Captain America: Civil War (2016), Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), Avengers: Endgame (2019) and Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019). Thank fuck. Spider-Man's best ever showing came in the animated film, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), I've talked that up when the opportunity to do so arises. One of the best comic book movies ever made.

I'll end my post on Dredd (2012), one of the few 3D films worth seeing in the format. A shame it didn't get the sequel treatment. I bought the DVD the week of release to support it. Dredd>The Raid (2011).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

A couple of lesser seen or forgotten films that all will probably have strong contention of making my ballot. Also, I probably should rewatch Upstream Color to see if that really deserves consideration.

• Like 1

Just watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Greeks are twisted, y'all. Pretty sure all three of Yorgos' English-language films will make my list. 

Re: David Fincher, when a bunch of best of the decade lists were coming out, most people seemed to rank The Social Network pretty high. I probably owe it a re-watch where I put my feelings about Zuckerberg (and Sorkin) aside, but right now I'm inclined to rank both Gone Girl and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo higher. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 1:48 AM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm pretty sure I'm incapable of watching a Baumbach movie at this point. I made it maybe ten minutes into Meyerowitz stories before I turned it off. I've tried Marriage Story three times, and the furthest I've made it is maybe halfway. I remember enjoying Squid and the Whale, but that was 15 years ago and I have no desire to revisit it. Everything I've seen since has made me want to slap the privilege out of someone, and I have a low tolerance for people like me talking about privilege. I know I should watch both of these movies to have an informed list, but I literally don't think I can without wanting to punch a wall. 

The Sandler hatred is unjust, but even I have my limits. 

Fuck it dude watch something you actually want to watch. I actually really like Baumbach's movies, but if you know you're irritated by his shit, spend the few hours on something you might be inclined to rank.

Like me, I'm not watching any more Marvel Movies. I've hit my limit. I don't need to see any more. At no point has it crossed my mind that I need to watch Endgame so I can have an "informed" list. 

So many fucking movies from every year that don't get watched, or can't be watched because they didn't get distribution. There's multiple movies that would be on my list that would probably be a waste of time ranking because I watched them at a Film Festival and there's no way for anyone to actually see them. Like this movie from Kazakhstan:

I'm really feeling your point about stuff where there's no way to actually see. I pay for three streaming services and have another through my local library. Between them, you'd think they'd have more of the small or foreign or documentary stuff I want to see. It's super hit and miss out there, even if you're searching for something. 

I'm starting to think the only way to get a streaming service to carry Paolo Sorrentino's shit is if you put Jude Law in it. 

On 3/30/2020 at 10:08 PM, caley said:

WIND RIVER would have been so much better if they’d cast an indigenous actor in Jeremy Renner’s role. The movie kinda doesn’t make sense without that character being Native.

I literally spent 30 minutes going through Netflix and Amazon Prime looking at the things I should be watching.

Ended up going back to YouTube and watched wrestlers play Uno. This is gonna be hard

• Haha 4

I compiled the results of the first half of the decade poll that @Chaos ran. It's not a full 110 because there were some errors that popped up in the 60s. I made a guess about where Warrior was based on where the Metacritic link took me, and based on the fact that I don't think Gavin O'Connor ever directed an adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing...

Apologies for any errors that I may have made.

I expect some of the things that ranked high to drop like a fucking rock and some of other things to have gained new fans. Or maybe that's just me hoping. I'm judging some of you so hard right now. Also, some of you have excellent taste!

@RIPPA, feel free to put this in the first post if you think it's a useful resource.

Spoiler
  1. Her
  2. Drive
  3. Under the Skin
  4. Scott Pilgrim vs The World
  5. Django Unchained
  6. Inception
  7. Whiplash
  8. Black Swan
  9. Grand Budapest Hotel
  10. Nightcrawler
  11. Guardians of the Galaxy
  12. The Lego Movie
  13. Gravity
  14. Toy Story 3
  15. Birdman
  16. The Master
  17. Interstellar
  18. The Cabin in the Woods
  19. The Tree of Life
  20. The Act of Killing
  21. Skyfall
  22. Snowpiercer
  23. Holy Motors
  24. Only Lovers Left Alive
  25. The Social Network
  26. 12 Years a Slave
  27. The Wolf of Wall Street
  28. Take Shelter
  29. Foxcatcher
  30. Inside Llewyn Davis
  31. A Separation
  32. Winter’s Bone
  33. The World’s End
  34. The Raid: Redemption
  35. The Avengers
  36. Looper
  37. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  38. Exit Through the Gift Shop
  39. Mud
  40. Gone Girl
  41. Before Midnight
  42. 13 Assassins
  43. Silver Linings Playbook
  44. True Grit
  45. Incendies
  46. Jodoworsky’s Dune
  47. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
  48. Four Lions
  49. The Skin I Live In
  50. The Dark Knight Rises
  51. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  52. Zero Dark Thirty
  53. Killer Joe
  54. X-Men: First Class
  55. Dredd
  56. Captain America: The First Avenger
  57. Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai
  58. Blue is the Warmest Colour
  59. The Place Beyond the Pines
  60. Boyhood
  61. Safety Not Guaranteed
  62. Life of Pi
  63. Seven Psychopaths
  64. Wreck-It Ralph
  65. Citizen Four
  66. Chronicle
  67. The Grey
  68. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  69. Spring Breakers
  70. Moonrise Kingdom
  71. Short Term 12
  72. Midnight in Paris
  73. I Saw the Devil
  74. Tucker and Dale vs Evil
  75. Warrior
  76. Much Ado About Nothing
  77. Argo
  78. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
  79. The Babadook
  80. MacGruber
  81. Enter the Void
  82. Berberian Sound Studio
  83. The Past
  84. Rango
  85. Edge of Tomorrow
  86. We Are the Best
  87. The Fighter
  88. Nebraska
  89. Hugo
  90. Force Majeure
  91. Kick-Ass
  92. The Other Guys
  93. Inherent Vice
  94. Star Trek: Into Darkness
  95. Caterpillar
  96. American Hustle
  97. Les Miserables
  98. Young Adult
  99. The Exploding Girl
  100. A Most Violent Year
  101. Fish Tank
  102. Cold in July
  103. Samsara
  104. Dogtooth
  105. Hesher
  106. American Sniper

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I literally spent 30 minutes going through Netflix and Amazon Prime looking at the things I should be watching.

Ended up going back to YouTube and watched wrestlers play Uno. This is gonna be hard

I was trying to use Hulu to search for movies by year, and yeah that search capability sucks. 

My problem is a lot of things I know I should watch or want to watch are either A) really long B) really intense/depressing or C) Both

I think I am gonna end up knocking off my family friendly movie catch-up first

• Like 1

I made a list and then narrowed down what I had free access to, but I’m still working and I really only have the mornings on my days off before the wife and kids wake up since they’re always home now. I got through one with my wife and two by myself, and I think they’ll all make the cut, so not a terrible start I guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

HBO is streaming Midnight Special for free as a part of it's library unlock starting this weekend. That's one that some of you may want to consider for your ballots.

Midnight Special is AWESOME

• Like 2

Fuck yeah. I love that film.

Some shit I plan to watch for this:

Train to Busan
Zama
Sorry to Bother You
Birds of Passage
One Cut of the Dead
In Fabric
Mandy
A Long Day’s Journey into Night
An Elephant Sitting Still (if I have four hours to kill)

I have a list of like 35 films I'm intending to watch over the next two months, which is maybe more movies than I've seen in one year in my life, but so it goes. Here are some brief reviews of the stuff I've seen so far:

The Rover: off a friend's recommendation. Enjoyed it well enough. Robert Pattinson is fantastic in it, and it also is one of the few post-apocalyptic movies that didn't bore me.

Dredd: I hate cops. Yet, this is about as good as an American-made action movie about a hero cop can probably be. LOVED the Slo-Mo scenes. Thought it lost steam halfway through, p. much after the chaingun bit.

Jonah Hex: I dont know that I recommend that anyone watches this? But man I laughed fucking hard multiple times during this. I love multi-million dollar hubris that fails, and buddy this had it.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil: I don't know what I expected but I thought it was pretty good. It's really hard for me to enjoy comedies (my sense of humor is much more partial to, say, Wonder Showzen than Judd Apatow) but this one worked for me.

ok now i have to stop running from finishing The Act of Killing because it's making my head spin once per ten minutes

6 hours ago, Control said:

Fuck yeah. I love that film.

Some shit I plan to watch for this:
Sorry to Bother You
Mandy

Both of those are nuts in very different ways.  Not sure if either will make my list but fully support anyone who does vote for them.