DVDVR Message Board

20-10s General Pimping Thread

RIPPA

I'd say skip Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, as I wasn't even sure it was the best Le Carre adaptation of the decade; I liked The Night Manager, a limited series on Amazon(?) a lot more...but, then again, I'm a bit of a Hugh Laurie & Tom Hiddleston fanboy, so that scratched a couple of itches.  Oh, and Elizabeth Debicki. 

The Big Short might be Adam McKay's best movie of the decade, but he's very much a guy where, if you've seen one of his movies, you've seen them all.  You can slice that into the straight slapstick comedies, like Talladega Nights, or the more serious stuff like this or Vice.  But I feel the point holds regardless. 

I went on a bit of a Fallout bender lately, so I haven't watched a lot of things.  Better write some stuff down before I forget what I watched...

End of Watch (Netflix)

Copaganda!  Yeah, fuck the idea of this movie right in its cake hole.  But, as far as unnecessary fellating of authority figures goes, this is a very well-made unnecessary piece of authority figure-fellating.  I get the David Ayer memes now.  If I could separate the movie's subjects from its craft, I would consider including it on my list.  But, I can't.

Hell or High Water (Netflix)

I don't think this is as good as Vulture's Top Movies list makes it out to be...but it's awfully close.  This, much like Logan and Bone Tomahawk, has the proper feel of an old-school Western.  Both of those other movies will definitely be on my list.  This might sneak on there too, if for no other reason than it's the best thing Chris Pine has ever done (not that that's much of a bar to clear) and the best thing Ben Foster has ever done (which is a significantly higher bar to clear, but I just irrationally hate him and find his face to be preeminently punchable).  It's probably the last really, really good Jeff Bridges performance, where he seems like he's kind of mailing it in on some level, but when shit goes down, we watch his world collapse right there all over his face, and he quietly steals the movie in about 4 minutes' time.

Birdman (bought the Blu-Ray)

I know this won Best Picture, but it seems like the least appreciated BP winner of the decade.  As near as I can tell, it's pretty clearly the 3rd-best one behind Moonlight & Parasite.  The ending is more than a little ridiculous, but everyone in this hits their material way the Hell out of the park.  As much as it focuses on Michael Keaton giving his career-best performance, Norton & Emma Stone & Naomi Watts and Lindsey fucking Duncan just chew scenery right along with him or work circles around him.  But, I'm also in kind of a weird position with this film, since I watched every single episode of both Bojack Horseman and Barry before ever seeing this, and those shows definitely tap into a lot of the same themes and ideas this did.  I actually kind of wonder if part of the lack of awards recognition for Bojack was because of the similarities to this (BoJack was only nominated once! for Best Animated Series at the Emmys - once!  And it lost to the fucking Simpsons!). So, I suppose I was primed to like this, even though I often find Innaritu's movies to be pretentious and overwrought.  Also, still not as good as either Grand Budapest Hotel or Whiplash from the same awards year.  But an easy inclusion nonetheless.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Thanks 1

Tinker Tailor is excellent if you're in the mood for an oblique spy thriller. Remember to pay attention though. 

Birdman I recall not liking at all though I was pretty drunk and just got tired of it. 

You can't pay me to watch End of Watch, Zero Dark Thirty, etc. Coincidentally Brooklyn's Finest was on last night which I forgot I'd watched at all until the end with the notorious ziptie scene. I suppose Fuqua gets a pass because nobody comes off looking good. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

@The Natural, I think @Contentious C gives a pretty accurate description of Birdman. A movie to watch if you like strong overpowering performances in a dizzying character study. Shot in a unique way,  heavy on movements. For sure worth the watch.

I felt close to @Curt McGirt in getting tired of the film. But I might have been biased and would love to rewatch. A good debate among my group of friends about this. I felt the opening title sequence was too much like Godard’s Weekend, and I understand that a silly thing to have as a point against it. Inarritu uses a lot of homages in his films to great directors in his films. 

Without going into the plot I’d say it’s edited in a way that Her meets The Salesman. Really drives its point while building tension throughout.

My favorite movies the year it came out (2014) was Goodbye to Language (don’t recommend unless you’re a Godard nerd) and Grand Budapest Hotel (I do recommend if you like Wes Anderson) but I can see why those didn’t win the Oscar. I recall there being a battle between Boyhood (which I didn’t see) vs Birdman for which was the better of the year. It’s interesting talking to the hardcore Birdman fans at the time (among my friends, small sample size) and that it was such an anti-Boyhood sentiment that propped Birdman up. Now they dropped their star ratings for it a bit, still acknowledging their love for it, but admitting that their love was out of oppositional spite. I saw the same in 2011 with Melancholia being the MOTY by some in response to Tree of Life. I’m not implying anything of anyone specifically on here. More just my group of buddies and other forums. Rambling.

All in all, watch it! It’s a good experience even if it doesn’t fully hit you. If I go to 100 it’ll be probably 50’s - 60’s.

Ramble over.

• Thanks 1

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood  (Tarantino, 2019)

Tarantino has always been hit and miss for me. His gritty 90’s films I need to be in the mood for and his early-mid 2000’s movies I wasn’t big on. I will say that I have enjoyed his films from the ‘10 decade (this, Hateful Eight, and Django). If Inglorious Basterds came out a year later I’d have it in my list too. 

Once Upon A Time is an interesting one for me. I actively did not want to see it. The subject matter really turned me off and I was worried of Charles Manson being overly glorified. After a friend told me he loved it I checked it out and really loved it. It rides the line appropriately given the subject matter and I feel handles everything superbly. 

If I can figure out how to type in spoilers where I don’t accidentally spoiler the entire post, I’ll go into more depth. Without over explaining or giving moments away, it does a great job at naively romanticize the glamour of Hollywood’s “god old days” while showing an underbelly of ickiness. The time it was released was deep into #metoo and given the context of the basis for the plot, really captured the time, possibly unintentionally.

Also, it’s interesting when Tarantino can focus on historically unanimously hated heels for his antagonists; Nazis in Inglorious, slave owners in Django, and Manson cult members in this. At moments his use of violence can feel like great wrestling storylines.

Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011)

Owen Wilson is very charming and likable. This is fun for anyone who enjoys the characters of 20’s artists and authors. Also, walking through Paris is cute.

Two Years at Sea(Rivers, 2011)

Want to watch a bearded hermit living in the Scottish Highlands, shot in 16mm black and white? Here’s your chance! One of my favs.

Carnage (Polanski, 2011)

Parents of two kids that got into a fight meet for a pleasant dinner to discuss what happened. Of course it becomes far from pleasant. Tense chamber piece with great acting and funny moments. Might make my list.

Silence (Scorsese, 2016)

I guessing don’t know how to talk about the power of this movie without spoiling. Like Once Upon A Time in Hollywood it did a good job riding a fine line on a difficult to talk about subject matter. This film covers Faith, persecution, piousness, and so much more. 

It’s slow moving and beautifully shot. I feel that you don’t need to be a Christian to appreciate it. I understand why some don’t like it but I find it to be a masterpiece. Given a margin of error, I have it for sure Top 3 for this list.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hobo joe said:

Knives Out is great. Watch Knives Out.

Side note - its on Amazon Prime for those of you who have the membership

• Like 2

I took that advice and thought it was fine and maybe better than I was expecting, and on that note, as I come to the end of making my own ballot (I'll probably submit last week of July just to make sure I feel that way) here's a list of movies I watched for this that I was pleasantly surprised by:

• Inherent Vice
  • Beyond the Black Rainbow
  • The Rover
  • Jonah Hex
  • Standoff
  • Alita Battle Angel
  • He Never Died
  • X-Men First Class
  • Like 1

There are, like, four more movies I really wanna cross off my “To Watch” list before submitting a final ballot (MANDY, ZAMA, PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE and SORRY TO BOTHER YOU). Since I try to never pay for movies, and they ain’t streaming, I’m picking them up irregularly when my holds come in from the library.

14 hours ago, Control said:

There are, like, four more movies I really wanna cross off my “To Watch” list before submitting a final ballot (MANDY, ZAMA, PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE and SORRY TO BOTHER YOU). Since I try to never pay for movies, and they ain’t streaming, I’m picking them up irregularly when my holds come in from the library.

Scoop up Sorry To Bother You ASAP, that was my favorite movie that year. Mandy too (coming from me that's a big 'well duh' haha).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 5:27 AM, Octopus said:

Oh wow, ballots due end of next week? I gotta hustle. How do points work, your #1 vote get 100 points or something like that? And if I do 50 am I less of a person?

1. I thought the deadline was extended to middle of August.

2. That's right when it comes to points. #1 gets 100 points, #2 = 99 points, etc.

3. I'm going to be doing a top 50 so you'll have moi for the company. If I were to do a 100, I think I'd be using filler to make it. In the past I've done the 100 sized ballots. There's an argument a top 50 is harder than a 100 as it's halving the list and you have to be selective with less spots. I do feel the last decade was worse than the 2000s, the 1990s and 1980s.

• Like 1

Again - I will just start accepting ballots. You don't have to have it finalized next week - I mean unless you are all "fuck it - this is my (insert number here) and its not gonna change"

Trust me - you will know when the absolute drop dead date is

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to seeing which films appear and those that don't. I'm particularly interested to see how comic book movies do as that's my favourite film genre. I wonder how many from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Edited by The Natural

On 7/3/2020 at 12:02 PM, Contentious C said:

End of Watch (Netflix)

I watched 'End of Watch' back when it came out, way back before its themes become a little, let's say, problematic, and I still didn't care for it.  I think the biggest problem I had with it was that EVERY single case they go out on is a matter of life-and-death.  Even the first one turns into an all-out brawl.  Then it's like "Oh here's a mundane little investigation...oh wait no it's not!" fr the rest of the movie.  I  never felt like it took place anywhere near a place like America.  In fact, my brother turned to me halfway and says "This feels more like a video game than a movie" and that nailed it on the head.  It was like watching someone play a well-crafted first-person video game.  

On 7/4/2020 at 1:52 PM, Octopus said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood  (Tarantino, 2019)

Tarantino has always been hit and miss for me. His gritty 90’s films I need to be in the mood for and his early-mid 2000’s movies I wasn’t big on. I will say that I have enjoyed his films from the ‘10 decade (this, Hateful Eight, and Django). If Inglorious Basterds came out a year later I’d have it in my list too. 

Once Upon A Time is an interesting one for me. I actively did not want to see it. The subject matter really turned me off and I was worried of Charles Manson being overly glorified. After a friend told me he loved it I checked it out and really loved it. It rides the line appropriately given the subject matter and I feel handles everything superbly. 

If I can figure out how to type in spoilers where I don’t accidentally spoiler the entire post, I’ll go into more depth. Without over explaining or giving moments away, it does a great job at naively romanticize the glamour of Hollywood’s “god old days” while showing an underbelly of ickiness. The time it was released was deep into #metoo and given the context of the basis for the plot, really captured the time, possibly unintentionally.

Also, it’s interesting when Tarantino can focus on historically unanimously hated heels for his antagonists; Nazis in Inglorious, slave owners in Django, and Manson cult members in this. At moments his use of violence can feel like great wrestling storylines.

Talking to my sister after watching this, which I very much enjoyed until the climax, really illuminated for me

just how misogynistic the climax comes across.  Of the three baddies: the guy gets mauled a little then has his face stomped in, a rather quick and merciless death.  Meanwhile the two women get

:mauled, a nose shattered with a can, face repeatedly and grotesquely smashed in, before the other girl is burned alive, with the two women's repeated lengthy gruesome death's soundtracked by their own screams. It's actually really bothersome.

On 7/19/2020 at 2:20 AM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

• He Never Died

I quite liked this silly little flick.  Not quite enough to fit it on my list, but it deserves to be seen, if for no other reason than Henry Rollins' wonderfully deadpan performance.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Looking forward to seeing which films appear and those that don't. I'm particularly interested to see how comic book movies do as that's my favourite film genre. I wonder how many from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The Marvel movies got hit pretty hard on my list when I ended up having to cut things down from 178 to 100.  There were  a handful that likely would have made it if I'd been able to go 10 deeper (GOTG; Winter Soldier) and a couple more that likely would have landed on the list if I'd been able to go 125-150 deep (Captain Marvel; Avengers: Infinity War).  As it stands, I think I have one Marvel movie and one DC movie on my list.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

The last decade brought Star Wars back to the big screen. As it stands only Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) will make my ballot.

Rogue One came near my list but it was a casualty of some of the movies that, while imperfect, I just enjoyed a little more that I threw onto the bottom 10 of my list. Basically 90-100 are movies that are just kind of silly that I enjoy a little too much ('Cedar Rapids') or ambitious but deeply flawed films ('The Dark Knight Rises' or 'Knight of Cups') or just plain stupid but lovable ('Grown Ups 2').

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 12:30 PM, caley said:

Talking to my sister after watching this, which I very much enjoyed until the climax, really illuminated for me

Reveal hidden contents

just how misogynistic the climax comes across.  Of the three baddies: the guy gets mauled a little then has his face stomped in, a rather quick and merciless death.  Meanwhile the two women get

:mauled, a nose shattered with a can, face repeatedly and grotesquely smashed in, before the other girl is burned alive, with the two women's repeated lengthy gruesome death's soundtracked by their own screams. It's actually really bothersome.

Very, very, very, very, very fair and honest criticism. Especially in relation to misogyny, which I didn’t fully take into account upon first viewing.

In a lot of ways, this is a very ugly and disturbing film. Intentionally or unintentionally, that’s where I find beauty in it. Throughout the movie there is this yearning for an honestly fiction idealization for what used to be. Hollywood is beautiful and bright. If you are in vogue you are immensely happy and naively without a care in the world. Adorably so, and everyone loves you. That’s why Leo’s character is so conflicted and insecure, because he is no longer new and on top of the world, like Sharon Tate. Life would be so much better if he had another big meaningful role and could see things the way we see her experiencing them, how he used to. He’s recognizing a lack of fulfillment but instead of being able to address it is reverting to self-consciousness and insecure desires to get to what he dreams the world is. Meanwhile, there is this ignored underbelly of dangerous individuals that are not addressed until too late. This has such a strong parallel to the #metoo movement. Ironically, being told by a former friend of Weinstein.

When this movie was being made I was strongly against the idea of it. I thought today’s day in age it would be in poor taste to overly glamorize the Sharon Tate murder. Especially with Tarantino directing such a crazed figure like Charles Manson. But the end result was disgustingly tasteful. We only see Manson once and in that time it is honestly terrifying, while being subtly non-discript. My friend finds this portrayal of the Manson Family as racist for not going into their racism and anti-semitism. Which I respect, as I respect and hear your accurate viewing of misogyny. I personally feel that how the Manson Family works the way it does in this film because if they represented them too stylish with neo-nazi symbolism, some morons would overly clip it out and make annoying gifs and be motivated to hate. If it was an accurate portrayal of what happened, they would for sure have to. Like the title suggests, this film is very much a fairytale. And in it, the characters are providing their own fables. 

The big fairytale being Sharon Tate’s life and eventual death. We are seeing her blissful and constantly happy throughout. To the point of it being completely one-dimensional and understandably problematic for some. But that’s what death of a star does. When a celebrity dies, they are frozen in an idea and asking as they were not a terrible person will be looked at as this concept of a joyous entity that could have brought us more joy if things turned out differently. She is so innocent and likable that as the film was drawing near, I was dreading her murder. Which I apologize for the profanity, but as anyone familiar wasn’t just murdered but physically ripped apart, her fetus cut out of her body, and in her blood racist slogans written on the wall as an attempt to start a race war. So random and absolutely disgusting. As it was drawing near, this perfect person who has been shown as not having any flaws was going to be brutally murdered by some of the most terrible people at that time. I was so sick to my stomach and sad. The fairytale of what I wish would have happened, happened. That Sharon Tate wasn’t murdered and the murderers we vengefully stopped. In the same manner that Inglorious Basterds killed the Nazi’s and Django killed slave owners. Tarantino’s violence (unlike some of his earlier films) were reserved for globally agreed upon villains. A point that you make which I can agree with, the guy with them should have been murdered worse as well. In my abstract interpretation of what they represent, I’m glad they were killed. 

We are remained that it indeed was a fairytale and not the case of reality. The entire movie we see Sharon Tate in smiling close-ups and in other forms of full body focused in her shots. After the point it is clear we are no longer in any sense of reality, we do not see her this way again. I find it brilliant and a somber effect. Her friends talk to Leo’s character about her and we hear her on the voice box. Just her voice. When Leo’s character gets let into the gate to rejoin the idea of his desired relevance among the loved elite. We see Sharon Tate come outside to hug him, and the camera is now far away. No facial features, just her pregnant body and blonde hair. She is really dead. That baby in her never lived. A murder actually happened. Leo’s character was not real and the day was not save. He is simply an idea of someone reaching for something they’ll never get, a false idea.

Once addressed with the actual horrors, it is tough seeing things the same way. As more people came out, Weinstein was recognized as a monster. The beautifully bright Hollywood was complacent in looking the other way. Ignorance can be claimed, but you won’t look at any of this the same way. People knew what was going on. But I digress. For that very brief moment, we see things in a less stylized shot, but a more realistic way.

Brad Pitt’s character is a big problem in the real world. Friend of a star that gets passed through the system despite people’s discomfort of him. Looked at by some as this cool I don’t care figure, but can be looked at as gross when you look deeper into him. The belief is he killed his wife. But he’s still Leo’s friend. He’s this aging cowboy that when it’s all said and done, rides off into the sunset to an unknown future, in an ambulance. A John Wayne.

Bruce Lee was one of my main problems initially. I really hated that scene. But as a thought on it, it was completely Brad Pitt’s character’s retelling of it. Any narcissist tough guy is going to remember the other guy as a cocky jerk. Retelling it, he would think he came out on top of a scuffle. The other memory of him is with Sharon Tate where he comes across as this wise karate teacher. One, a stereotype of how a star acts and the other a kind stereotype of an Asian martial artist, potentially. Merely a one-dimensional training montage from an idealistic one-dimensional character. 

[\spoiler]

I really enjoyed this film. I’m not a Tarantino guy, but I felt this film had more layers to it than some of his other experiences. Yet, I’m reading more into it than maybe what was there. I can see and know people that hated or disliked it for a cavalcade of different reasons.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's been so hot and there's been so much hockey that I've hardly watched anything lately.

I did watch

'The Brothers Grimsby' which I thought, early on, I was going to enjoy as it was basically a Bourne send-up with a super-spy fighting all these baddies off in first POV like a video game and then it gets...so...bad.  The lowlight of which being

a scene where the brothers hide in an elephant's vagina and have to, er, stimulte an elephant's penis until it ejaculates all over one of them, before the other brother gets sodomized by another elephant. It's...it actually almost has to be seen to be believed. It's like a group of 13-year-olds wrote jokes

It's kind of staggering how good Cohen can be ('Da Ali G Show', 'Borat', his most recent show) and just how DREADFUL his films are ('Ali G Indahouse', The Dictator, Bruno, and especially this).  I will concede I did get a chuckle out of the climax in which

Donald Trump gets AIDS from Daniel Radcliffe who...never mind

'The Animal Project' which I might have hated even MORE than the previous. An acting teacher decides to take his acting class out of themselves by having them dress up in animal costumes is how the film was described in the write-up which sounded interesting to me, like you could do all sorts of absurd things with people wearing animal costumes around downtown Toronto.  But, it was more like 'a terrible father who made a film 10 years prior in which his sun dressed up in a bunny costume to give out free hugs, decides to recycle the same idea but there's actually very little of people in animal costumes and is mostly a bunch of whiny 20-something actors talking about life but not actually saying anything'. Like, there isn't one character in the film whom I felt like i learned more about by the time the film was over than when it begun. Looking the film up, and the real-life director actually did make a short film about a kid in a bunny costume that was well-received and tried to figure out a way of recycling the idea. I HATED this movie.

'Lucy in the Sky' does some really interesting things but never really comes together.  Based on that story about the astronaut love triangle where the one traveled across country wearing adult diapers to assault the astronaut who was sleeping with the other astronaut whom she was in love with.  Now couple that with the fact that it's directed by Noah Hawley (of the Fargo TV show!) and has this great cast (Natalie Portman, Zazie Beatz, Dan Stevens, Jon Hamm, Nick Offerman), you'd think it would be this really kind of wacky but dark (Like Fargo) comedy-drama.  But, instead, it's given a real heavy-hand and tries to make it kind of about a woman who pushes herself so hard because she wants to compete with the men, but has to work harder until she just snaps. I also thought Portman did a job in the lead while simultaneously not really buying her accent and wondering why they didn't just dump it altogether. I loved the stuff about her being an astronaut, whom after being in space, couldn't connect with people or get that same feeling again, but I just didn't like the way the film was handled. Thought it was really bizarre how they changed the climax

with Portman's character taking along her niece and abandoning the adult diapers thing because, even if the real astronaut later claimed she didn't wear them, I thought the adult diapers defined her character even more that she would be so calculating about the time required to drive across country that she would have factored in how much time she could save by not stopping for bathroom breaks, whereas the addition of the niece character actually went against what her character would have done because the niece would just slow her down and her entire purpose was to get there in time. It actually felt like they were trying to add an extra layer to the feminism element (instead of attacking the other female astronaut (Which the real Lucy did), in the film, she's trying to warn her, and attacks the male astronaut instead) and make her character more empathetic when the whole point of her character is that she isn't empathetic and can no longer connect with anyone

A big disappointment considering who was involved and how much I loved the first 5-10 minutes.

On 8/20/2020 at 10:12 AM, Curt McGirt said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimsby_(film)

Did you seriously watch THIS wondering if it would belong on a top 100 list? Or did you just watch it on a lark? 

Oh definite lark. I was working on my laptop and wanted something that I could play in the background, glance up at every now and then and follow the gist of the movie. In that sense, it worked very well. The fact that it happened to be from the time period was just a bonus. I mean, after the opening action sequence with Mark Stone that was part satire/part tribute to modern action movies, I was open to the idea of it being my #99 or an honourable mention and as I said, 'Grown Ups 2' will be on my list in the #100 slot as a sort of "I've watched this way more times than I should have, kind of enjoy it while simultaneously knowing it's very, very bad" kind of way) so I hadn't shut the door on this making my list, but the door shut very, very soon after that.

• Like 1

Me and @caley would like to pimp Four Lions (2010). Such a funny and brave satire on Jihadists. 

EDIT: Just looked on the IMDB page for Four Lions and Kayvan Novak is in it, he plays Nandor in the What We Do In The Shadows TV spin-off.

Edited by The Natural

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Me and @caley would like to pimp Four Lions (2010). Such a funny and brave satire on Jihadists. 

EDIT: Just looked on the IMDB page for Four Lions and Kayvan Novak is in it, he plays Nandor in the What We Do In The Shadows TV spin-off.

I have it very, very high on my list.  You have to watch it at JUST the right time because if you happen to watch it too soon after an explosion/terror attack, it can feel a LITTLE awful watching it and laughing.  I've always wondered what would happen if Fox News discovered this movie existed. I think the real genius is that the movie sends up pretty much EVERYONE: the jihadists are idiots who are looking to perpetrate a terror attack because it's what they feel like they should do; the random non-muslims are idiots believing any sort of lie is a part of Muslim culture for fear they'll be seen of as judgemental; the non-jihadist Muslims are idiots for the way they treat the women and discuss issues with no real-world application, and the authorities are idiots

arresting the peaceful, scholarly group of muslims while missing the jihadists right under their noses

A great comedy for people who like their humour DARK. Not dark comedy in the sense that it's often (mis)used meaning bad people doing bad things for shock value, but dark in the sense that there is nothing funny about the subject matter but finding the absurdity in it.

• Like 1