DVDVR Message Board

Dolfan Watches Every Wrestlemania On Lockdown

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

At least we have the pleasure of knowing the paint wouldn't wash off Piper so he had to fly around in that shit. 

That actually happened to my dad when I was a kid. Spoilered for length and apropos of nothingness:

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

One year for Halloween Dad got some green body paint, tore up some old clothes and off we went to a friend's party as the Hulk and Hulk Jr. This became problematic for two reasons. Number 1: he was scaring the other kids, to the point where he told them he was the Jolly Green Giant. We then went trick-or-treating in the building, and this was the cheapest building EVER... I literally came home with three cents and a box of raisins. Meanwhile, my mom went trick-or-treating with my sister Julie and came back with two overflowing bags of candy. ("Don't you want to share with your brother?" "No!") So this was the worst Halloween ever for me.

Now my dad had a work meeting the next morning, and here comes reason Number 2: the paint wouldn't come off. He scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed half the night and finally took enough off of his face and hands that he was okay for the meeting, but you had to see him as he got dressed... if you looked closely you could see it on his fingernails. The family joke was that he was peeing green weeks later. ?

• Haha 6

We're very much in the dregs of Mania 6. Steve Allen is here, playing his piano in the locker room showers?  The bit is Allen is playing songs to make the Bolsheviks mad.  It's a completely harmless bit but just takes too long and probably shouldn't have happened.  

And that bit lasted longer than the Hart Foundation vs Bolsheviks match which was literally 3 moves.  The only thing that's odd to me about this match is the Harts not playing up the hyper-Canadian part of their characters which would dominate their later career.  

And here's the infamous first ad for Wrestlemania VII which would come live from the LA Coliseum.   I know it's fun to crap on Vince for this, but damned if he wasn't ambitious as hell for even attempting this. And once the Coliseum is renovated for the 2028 Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries again.  Assuming of course he's still alive. 

Finished up the day 16 with two more matches.  

The Barbarian making his solo debut, I believe, Heenan as his manager. And he's here to squash Tito, or, I believed this was squash until I actually rewatched it.  I literally could count the number of offensive moves the Barbarian made on one hand. Seriously, this was 90% Santana, he makes a mistake, and Barbarian basically flukes into a win. Also of note is a NASTY flying clothesline that Barbie uses to win the match.  I winced when I saw it, and on the replay, it clearly shows Barb saying "shit" right after and looked like he was apologizing during the cover. 

The reams of paper that have been written about Dusty's first run in WWF are legion. Here he is making his WrestleMania debut and he's shackled by Sapphire. I genuinely do not know why Vince chose this.  But, I'm guessing cocaine featured heavily in the decision making process.  Dusty and Sapphire are in a mixed tag match (according to the Fink, the first ever in WWF?) against...

His Royal Highness, Randall, of House Savage, Monarch of Madness, Destroyer of Hulkamania, Master of Axe Handles and Reviving Elbow Drops, First of His Name.  And Her Royal Highness, Sherri, of House Martel, Princess of Senation, Sister to the Heat of Harlem, Singer of the Sexiness, First of Her Name.

This match should be studied for generations as to why you never, EVER begin a feud at Wrestlemania.  The Savage and Rhodes parts are all fine, building to something that could have been fucking amazing.  However, the entire matched is completely hamstrung because Sherri (MVP), Savage, and Rhodes, have to slow down to like one-eighth-speed to walk Sapphire through her spots.  I weep when I think of what this could have been if Dusty and Randy (and Sherri) were given 15-20 minutes on their own.  Good lord.  

So the newly returned Elizabeth costs Sherri the match, in what in 2020 would have included Macho turning on Sherri too and saying Elizabeth was his queen and having them both heel out the rest of the year.  

Intermission time now and I'm done for the day.  

• Like 4

I’m guessing Vince started with the idea of Savage/Sherri vs Dusty/Elizabeth. Liz famously never wanted to actually wrestle so she turned it down, but Vince was already fixated on the mixed tag as an attraction for Mania. After that tweet was posted last week I watched the singles television match Savage and Dusty had leading in to Wrestlemania. A singles at Mania would’ve been close to what we got there since I don’t think they ever would have been given more than ten minutes and it would’ve ended in a DQ. This is mostly carried by Dusty’s charisma and Savage bumping like a madman. Sherri being the best ringside second to ever do it helps too. 

DAY 17

So, does anyone know why Vince only signed Tanaka from AWA and not Paul Diamond?  I mean, I can only assume that the intention was to get Bad Company?  And then when he did sign later giving him the Max Moon gimmick as punishment.  Anywho...  The Rockers are strangely slow and I can only assume it's because they're pouting because of what's coming.  

Janetty chases Fuji around the ring like an idiot and gets a faceful of salt from Sato for the COR win for the OE.  The main saving grace of this match was that Gorilla did not refer to this surprise attack by a Japanese wrestler as "a Pearl Harbor job." 

Oh, now Dino Bravo vs. Jim Duggan.  This match is fascinating because *SHOCKINGLY* the Canadian crowd is cheering the Quebec-based Bravo and a big portion is booing the US-based Hacksaw. Duggan proves how limited a worker he is because he's clearly flustered because his USA chants are just NOT working.  At all.  This match would have been roughly 1000x better if they'd switched roles during the match and have Bravo wrestle as the face and Duggan the heel -- but we got what we got and it's just a big ol' mess because of it.  

Earthquake kicks off his feud with Duggan by crushing him three times.  Duggan either wasn't expecting (or was sandbagging) the second one too because he does nothing to catch Tenta on his way down and it looks bad as Quake slides off to his side... probably not to kill Jim. 

15 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

DAY 17

So, does anyone know why Vince only signed Tanaka from AWA and not Paul Diamond?  I mean, I can only assume that the intention was to get Bad Company?  And then when he did sign later giving him the Max Moon gimmick as punishment. 

Diamond signed right after Survivor Series and became Kato. However they did work a match or two as a trio before Sato left. 

Sato later returned to become Hakushi's manager, Shinja.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Diamond signed right after Survivor Series and became Kato. However they did work a match or two as a trio before Sato left. 

Sato later returned to become Hakushi's manager, Shinja.

And the Tanaka/Diamond team went on to have an AMAZING opening tag with the Rockers at Rumble 91, which was a great PPV in itself.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

And the Tanaka/Diamond team went on to have an AMAZING opening tag with the Rockers at Rumble 91, which was a great PPV in itself.

Was just talking about that match last week in a different thread. I feel it was the best ppv match WWF had ever done up to that point.

The Battle For the Million Dollar Belt!  You know, for as good a heel as Jake Roberts is, he definitely fell into the WWF/E trap where if you're too cool a heel, you're going to get turned and neutered. BRAY WYATT, YOU'RE NEXT!  

The Fink's careful wording of the Million Dollar Belt is cute as he's saying the belt is on the line but this isn't a WWF-sanctioned title.  It's the little things.

So DiBiase and Roberts have a very good little match.  And I'm only thinking about D&D alignments in the 1980's/90's WWF.  DiBiase is definitely Lawful Evil. And Roberts is definitely Chaotic Neutral. Definitely have to think about the other 7, but Hogan is a mortal lock for Lawful Good, as is Warrior for Chaotic Good.  

Also, in re-watching this match with fresh eyes, there's definitely a bit of genius to the finish.  You want to put DiBiase over because he's basically the default heel challenger for the WWF Championship and you're guaranteed to have a face champion coming out. You want to keep Jake strong because he's a money making machine. Both are tricky motherfuckers, so it's on Virgil to be the difference.  And that's exactly what happens.  Ted wins and keeps his belt in a "bullshit" way, Jake does his snake thing, Virgil gets beat up, and everyone's happy.

That's it for Day 17

DAY 18

My schedule is usually me doing some stretches and exercises (I'm up to 50 pushups and 3x30sec planking!) after I log out of work, and following that up with my ride then dinner.  Yesterday was weird because I had to work late, then had some Zoom calls with friends I haven't seen in a while. So it's gonna be a short ride.  

The break up of the Twin Towers is especially weird for a New Yorker because... well... that.

Slick cuts a fun promo about how he's proud that he took DiBiase's money and reveals shockingly blue eyes.  Hmm.  High Def reveals some stuff.  Now Bossman comes out with his promo and how he's proud to be poor and American(?).  While wearing a Confederate Flag on his sleeve.  ?  

Anyways, the match. Bossman's definitely spent the last year in the gym because while still being a big guy, he's clearly stronger and a lot slimmer than his last Mania.  Also, DiBiase beats the unholy piss out of him before the match even starts because he didn't take his money.  Which, if you think about it, doesn't really make much sense on Ted's part.  To paraphrase, you don't STAY a millionaire by giving away your money.  The match is a squash once Bossman takes control, because in less than 2 minutes, sidewalk slam, and "If you're ever down in Cobb County, Georgia..."   

(Btw, growing up, I could've sworn Cobb County was in the hickest, most rural part of Georgia. Boy oh boy, is it not that, at all.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it's got the wealthiest neighborhoods in the entire state of Georgia.)

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, DiBiase beats the unholy piss out of him before the match even starts because he didn't take his money.  Which, if you think about it, doesn't really make much sense on Ted's part.  To paraphrase, you don't STAY a millionaire by giving away your money. 

I remember seeing this recently but here's why Bossman took issue with Dibiase's money.  And yeah, once you see the Confederate flag on his sleeve you can't un-see it which is unfortunate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I remember seeing this recently but here's why Bossman took issue with Dibiase's money.  And yeah, once you see the Confederate flag on his sleeve you can't un-see it which is unfortunate.

That was the Georgia state flag (which has since been changed), not the Confederate flag.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

That was the Georgia state flag (which has since been changed), not the Confederate flag.

In that case I stand corrected but it sure did look like that without knowing much more about it.  Good thing they changed the flag.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yeah. But it wasn't.   This was the GA state flag:

Spoiler

61ePRxUMU3L._AC_SX679_.jpg

He just straight up had the stars and bars. 

My guess is the costume designer couldn't find the patch for the above and found the nearest equivalent.  OR... and this is my actual theory, there are some weird laws out there and having the legit GA state flag on his sleeve could maybe be construed as impersonating a police officer?   

Who knows.  It was the 80's, I'll just chalk it up to no one knowing any better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

In that case I stand corrected but it sure did look like that without knowing much more about it.  Good thing they changed the flag.

They changed it to a flag that is basically the First National Flag of the a Confederacy so they really shouldn’t be getting props. They had a “compromise” flag for a few years but it switched to the current flag after a Republican governor allowed a heavily weighted referendum on the matter. Also the state of Mississippi still has the Confederate Battle Flag as part of their state flag. 

Edited by happjack
  • Thanks 1

Continuing Day 18.

Mary Tyler Moore is in the front row of the audience.  I have no idea why.  And she's being interviewed to give the techs time to set up the next thing.  Was there no one else available? Jesus, give Heenan more time to just vamp.  Sean Mooney's trying, but she's clearly not giving him anything.

So now we get Rhythm and Blues performing a song.  (Hi Diamond Dallas Page!) This is clearly Jimmy Hart's baby as he's out there and clearly a nervous wreck because he's mouthing and singing at wrong points. Honky actually is putting in some effort, but he's got no monitor in his ear, so he can't hear anything, and has to guess where to sing. Valentine looks incredibly stoned and badly misses his cue to sing.  I'm amazed they went through the whole song... this must have been some kind of favor to Hart by Vince.

The Bushwhackers are out pretending to be vendors, chase away R&B and destroying the guitars.  AC/DC would be proud.  Even though they weren't from New Zealand. 

Oh boy, Rude vs. Snuka is up next.  

Rude and Heenan look noticeably nervous.  Snuka's musica hits and the pop can generously be described as... adequate.  Snuka's got bad coke face... it's not even funny.  Rude is trying at first and Snuka's messing spots up a lot. Rick hits the Rude Awakening, gets the hell outta Dodge.  I think even Vince knew there was some issue with Snuka as they didn't even bother to cut back to him in the ring.  

That's it for Day 18. 

1 hour ago, happjack said:

They changed it to a flag that is basically the First a National Flag of the a Confederacy so they really shouldn’t be getting props. They had a “compromise” flag for a few years but it switched to the current flag after a Republican governor allowed a heavily weighted referendum on the matter. Also the state of Mississippi still has the Confederate Battle Flag as part of their state flag. 

That was one of the ugliest state elections I can remember. I remember wanting to live somewhere besides Georgia for the first time in my life...

DAY 19

It's very interesting seeing the very primitive versions of the video synopses of the feud for the match you're about to watch. They started in Mania 2, and now here in Mania 6, they're at least showing other people, some context, and some interviews. I'm fascinated to see when they started adding in music (it can't be the "My Way" X7 video can it?).  Anyway, this is the most enormous match in WWF history as their two legit biggest stars - both of whom are faces - have challenged for each others belts. Jesus H. Christ, is this crowd ready.  

One note instantly is how funny it is that Warrior's sprint to the ring, which is approximately 50 yards (~45 m), and he is panting by the time he hits the ring.  Obviously he wasn't a cardio guy. Also, it's funny to see how much training has changed in 30 years, because I'd fully expect *EVERYONE* on the WWE roster in 2020 to be able to do that sprint easily.  Even the big guys and gals. 

Once Hogan's in the ring, they're definitely both taking it in for a minute, and why not?  The crowd is solidly divided 50/50 on these two. And unlike today's "50/50" crowd, this is not dividable by age group, gender, or anything else. It's truly phenomenal to watch again.  

The match itself takes a couple of minutes to get going.  As I recall hearing, they supposedly rehearsed this match for weeks with Vince and the other producers changing and tweaking things along the way.  I seem to remember hearing that they had to practice both men going over because Vince was so indecisive about who was actually going to win.  The match itself is great... peak 1980's main event style.   With some legit false finishes that the crowd ate up.  There's a group of kids in the direct line of sight of the camera who particularly go apeshit when Hogan kicks out of the press slam/splash.  Of course, Hogan makes one mistake and Warrior capitalizes.  Boom, new champ.  

This is where I tweeted about hearing Finkel give maybe his most famous "AND NEW!!!!!" ring announcement.  That man was a god damned treasure.  

That wraps Mania 6.  An epic finish to a, frankly, mediocre show.  Once you pass the Demolition title win, there's a loooong stretch before you get anything resembling  a good match again.  But holy shit, that main event.  Well, I've still got about 20 minutes to go on this ride, so... on to VII from the Los Angeles Coliseum!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This is where I tweeted about hearing Finkel give maybe his most famous "AND NEW!!!!!" ring announcement.  That man was a god damned treasure.  

Hogan beating Sheik is THE moment.  Any time Howard said it again was an attempt to recapture it.  Hogan-Sheik is actually one of the few matches where I've probably seen the post more than the actual match.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Hogan beating Sheik is THE moment.  Any time Howard said it again was an attempt to recapture it.  Hogan-Sheik is actually one of the few matches where I've probably seen the post more than the actual match.

I cross-posted this in the Finkel RIP thread also, but while I am sure at the time it had to do more with Hogan than Finkel, it's still a testament in some way that Howard's post-match announcement of Hogan as the NEW champion was used to start the intro for WWF's All-Star Wrestling program for the next two-and-a-half years, long after Hogan was the "new" anything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

I cross-posted this in the Finkel RIP thread also, but while I am sure at the time it had to do more with Hogan than Finkel, it's still a testament in some way that Howard's post-match announcement of Hogan as the NEW champion was used to start the intro for WWF's All-Star Wrestling program for the next two-and-a-half years, long after Hogan was the "new" anything.

All-Star Wrestling!  That's what it was.  I kept looking at Championship Wrestling intros and swore it opened with Finkel. 

On 4/16/2020 at 4:50 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

DAY 18

My schedule is usually me doing some stretches and exercises (I'm up to 50 pushups and 3x30sec planking!) after I log out of work, and following that up with my ride then dinner.  Yesterday was weird because I had to work late, then had some Zoom calls with friends I haven't seen in a while. So it's gonna be a short ride.  

The break up of the Twin Towers is especially weird for a New Yorker because... well... that.

Slick cuts a fun promo about how he's proud that he took DiBiase's money and reveals shockingly blue eyes.  Hmm.  High Def reveals some stuff.  Now Bossman comes out with his promo and how he's proud to be poor and American(?).  While wearing a Confederate Flag on his sleeve.  ?  

Anyways, the match. Bossman's definitely spent the last year in the gym because while still being a big guy, he's clearly stronger and a lot slimmer than his last Mania.  Also, DiBiase beats the unholy piss out of him before the match even starts because he didn't take his money.  Which, if you think about it, doesn't really make much sense on Ted's part.  To paraphrase, you don't STAY a millionaire by giving away your money.  The match is a squash once Bossman takes control, because in less than 2 minutes, sidewalk slam, and "If you're ever down in Cobb County, Georgia..."   

(Btw, growing up, I could've sworn Cobb County was in the hickest, most rural part of Georgia. Boy oh boy, is it not that, at all.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it's got the wealthiest neighborhoods in the entire state of Georgia.)

There are some very nice parts of Cobb county. There are some seriously redneck parts, too. 

WRESTLEMANIA VII

So...  yup, this was supposed to be in the LA Coliseum, but "security concerns" (about the low ticket sales) forced them to move to the LA Clippers' Arena.  (Probably because the Lakers had a game that night.) 

So Willie Nelson (?!) sings the national anthem and the whole arena looks like Captain America's tailor barfed everywhere.  

So we're going to kick it off with The Tongan Connection (Barbarian/Haku) and The Rockers.  The pre-match interview is cute because at one point Janetty says "We're tag team specialists!" and Shawn gives him a subtle, yet clear, "O RLY" look.  The match itself was quite good, and frankly the best opener of the 7 Mania's I've rewatched so far.  Barbarian is working his ass off, but mostly keeps up.  He's there though to make everything he throws at Michaels look like it hurts a LOT.   Very fun match. 

We officially enter the ? phase of this PPV, as Dino Bravo faces Kerry Von Erich, the Texas Tornado.  Both would be violently dead in the proceeding 18 months.  The match was a nothingburger as Tornado wins via the Tornado Punch in like 2-3 minutes.  

Warlord and Davey Boy Smith is my last match of this ride.  I'm sure I'll have plenty to say about DBS, but he's another guy who absolutely should have been WWF Champion at some point.  But of course the combination of his firing because he was mainling HGH and then later his loyalty to Bret derailed his career.  Smith has a new dog too named Winston.  I can't find a good picture of him, but here's another very good boy named Winston, so you get the idea: 

This wraps Day 19.