DVDVR Message Board

Dolfan Watches Every Wrestlemania On Lockdown

The Hardcore title has become an odd little spectacle at this point.  It's defended under 24/7 rules, which, thankfully doesn't mean the champ is chased at all times by every jobber on the roster... Well, not like it's a Benny Hill episode, anyway. There have been some decently entertaining insane things that were done under the guise of winning this belt. Crash Holly is the champ when Mania rolls around and has agreed to defend the belt against all comers. To do this, they've set up a 15 minute gauntlet/battle royale hybrid with the title changing hands officially mid-match and whoever has the belt at the end is the champ.  

Now, being a fan of pro wrestling comes with some things you just have to accept.  First of all, you have to know, much like in American football, you're often watching these men and women literally take years off their lives to entertain you. Second, that fear is mitigated when you know the people in the ring are professionals who take care of each other as much as humanly possible.  Last, that the story these performers are telling with their bodies is compelling enough to be worthy of the sacrifice.  

I say all this, because what follows is 15 minutes of half-trained, or worse sloppy, or worse than THAT abjectly dangerous people in the ring and out of it. Taz is far and away the best worker in this match, and lord knows he's not the guy to marshall everything that happens.  Basically, Bradshaw and Bob Holly take turns giving unprotected headshots to anyone that that comes within 5 feet of them... most notably the Mean Street Posse (who are clearly there because they're young and dumb and friends of Shane).  Pete Gas in particular takes some absolutely insane shots to the head and at one point comes up bleeding buckets... and I'm not completely sure if it was a blade or hardway.  

Regardless, the title changes hands about 6 times during these 15 minutes and I'm rapidly losing the will to live, much less be a wrestling fan. Knowing what happens to Crash Holly a few years after this is also a major league bummer.  The end comes, with, OF COURSE, a massive unprotected shot to the head and a botched count by Tim White.  Taz had Crash in a katahajime and Bob smashes him with a glass vase, and then covers for the final pin and the title. However, the ref just stopped counting at 2 1/2 for no apparent reason, leaving everyone confused. With Howard Finkel announcing Bob Holly as the new champ... but leaving everyone in the crowd and the announcer's table confused and irritated. They compound their mistake by playing the finish over THREE separate times.   I think Crash was supposed to retain as the time ran out, but Fink saw "Holly" on the script and went with it. 

As I said in another thread, I was having trouble writing up this match, because it really was terrible, non-sensical, and cringeworthy in the worst way imaginable.  I even said to @RIPPA on Facebook... "So many unprotected headshots..."  

His reply, "Late 90s/early 00 WWE doesn't age well"

Boy howdy, if that ain't the truth.  

End of Day 44.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I've always bet Finkel felt terrible about this because he kinda clearly fucked up the finish. In fairness, everyone is allowed one fuck up in like 40 years. 

Eh, that whole thing was a compounding of multiple people fucking up. Bob Holly going for the pin too early, Tim White holding up on the count even though Crash didn't raise his shoulder, Crash not raising his shoulder since there was still time left...I would also think that Finkel had an ear piece for production by that point, I would think that whatever he ended up announcing in that situation got shouted into his ear by Vince or Bruce.

I know Bob Holly did a YouShoot with Kayfabe Commentaries but I have zero interest in giving Bob Holly two hours of my time. Did the finish for this come up during that shoot?

DAY 45

The next match features 2 hall of famers (and possibly a 3rd by the time all is said and done), and if you picked the manager and the referee, well, you're fucking psychic and should be playing the lottery.  Al Snow & Steve Blackman have taken a "wacky opposites become a good tag team" gimmick all the way to a match at WrestleMania (Blackman's Mania debut) as the unnamed "Head Cheese" -- which as I recall is because Blackman's from Wisconsin?  I honestly don't remember or care.  Their opponents are T&A (Test and Albert, with their manager, Trish Stratus).  Subtlety is not in the WWF's repertoire as the Trish's breasts are the only thing anyone watching this match cares about.  

Also, for the record boys, having talked to multiple women about these sorts of outfits.... when a girl dresses up like this for you, you'd better be fucking grateful, because that top just looks like it only exists to put a woman in pain while making men horny.  So kiss your wife, girlfriend, or waifu body pillow tonight for putting up with your shit.  

I'm not going to beat around the bush.  The match itself is really bad. Al Snow introduces Cheesy McCheeserton, a Mexican mini in a giant wedge of cheese outfit to scare Trish for some reason? The two teams though lacked any kind of chemistry together and even JR turns on the match by delivering his not-so-passive-aggressive "bowling shoe ugly" line when he hates what he's seeing. 

My main thought on this match would this would make an *excellent* lesson for trainees in NXT.  You see, in the management training class at NASA, the prospective managers watch the movie Armageddon and then have to come up with a list of as many factual errors or impossibilities there are in the movie.  Last I heard, the number was well over 100.  I'd say Matt Bloom (the 3rd potential HoF'er - strictly for his time as NXT head trainer) should sit the trainees down and make them write up every mistake the participants made... from referee Teddy Long, down to Cheesy.   The list would go on and on and on...

The vast majority of the ride is what comes next... and get hyped.... because all 6 guys there are in, or will be in, the Hall of Fame.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My main thought on this match would this would make an *excellent* lesson for trainees in NXT.  You see, in the management training class at NASA, the prospective managers watch the movie Armageddon and then have to come up with a list of as many factual errors or impossibilities there are in the movie.  Last I heard, the number was well over 100.  I'd say Matt Bloom (the 3rd potential HoF'er - strictly for his time as NXT head trainer) should sit the trainees down and make them write up every mistake the participants made... from referee Teddy Long, down to Cheesy.   The list would go on and on and on...

The number I keep seeing tossed around is 168 Impossibilities, with way more Improbabilities.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So kiss your wife, girlfriend, or waifu body pillow tonight for putting up with your shit. 

My waifu body pillow has a no kissing policy. It's strictly business.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You see, in the management training class at NASA, the prospective managers watch the movie Armageddon and then have to come up with a list of as many factual errors or impossibilities there are in the movie.  Last I heard, the number was well over 100.

Have you worked at NASA before? I'm legit curious. 

15 hours ago, Eivion said:

Have you worked at NASA before? I'm legit curious. 

The closest I've come to working for NASA is hooking up with a buddy who works as an office manager in DC. ? 

Here's the set up... The Dudley Boyz are the WWF Tag Team Champions.  They hate Edge & Christian.  Edge & Christian hate the Hardy Boyz.  The Hardy Boyz hate the Dudley Boyz.  Let's take care of this at Wrestlemania in the most violent way we can.  A triple threat ladder match.   That's basically all you need to know. 

I'd honestly forgotten E&C used to come through the crowd, but here they come to a huge pop.  The Hardys enter next to even bigger pop.  I forget when Jeff dropped the finger guns to the head part of his intro, but it has to be before this. And last are the champs, the brothers Dudley. I think this is right after they dropped Bubba's stutter gimmick, since I'm guessing only Vince found it to be funny. 

Now, the thing I notice first off, is the 6 of these guys seem to genuinely like and/or respect each other, because while this match is brutal (in a good way), they are very clearly taking care of each other. They're all doing wanton acts of violence to each other, but it's in service of getting over how desperately they want the titles, and how hard they know it's going to be. The spots they're setting up seem to be organic and it works because they build off each other. 

For example, when Bubba introduces the first ladder to the ring, the other 4 opponents are caught off guard and get hammered because of it.  Later on though, assuming they're not exhausted, they work as quickly as they can to remove Bubba+ladder from the equation, because the result is always "Ow."  And lots of similar spots go for that too.  Jeff's dives start off on the lower ropes, eventually building to the spot where he Swanton's Bubba from a 20' (8m) ladder on the outside.  

What also struck me in rewatching this match was how quickly and seamlessly it progressed.  The match is about 22 minutes, and I swear, there is zero breaks in the action until we're more than halfway through.  They're really good at hiding when the third team is taking a small respite and have everyone come in and out of the action well.  Never in the entire thing is there a moment where you go, "hey, where's Edge?" because a moment before you do, he's spearing Jeff off middle of a goddamned ladder.   

The technical stuff is also great, because the cameras are where they should be, they catch the vast majority of what's going on and the direction allows the shots to take in what's happening, the stakes of what's happening, and let's the moment breathe.   Even JR & The King are very much on their A game here, putting all 6 guys over like a million fucking bucks. Hell, the crowd itself also plays a great role in this, as they chant for tables, but not overly so... they audibly buzz in anticipation of something big... and most importantly, pop loud when there's a big spot. 

The finish sees Edge & Christian knocking Matt off a table that's been set up between two ladders in the ring, to claim their first(!) tag team championship.  An absolute classic that holds up 20 years later. 

Oh fuck, I've still got about 8 minutes left on this ride... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh fuck, I've still got about 8 minutes left on this ride... 

What are you so worried about?

*Checks the match listing*

Oh... Oh dear.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The closest I've come to working for NASA is hooking up with a buddy who works as an office manager in DC. ? 

I was just curious because my mom used to work there before she passed in 2011 (would have retired at the end of the year). I never heard the management story you mentioned, and I think she was technically management by the time she passed/was retiring. I was curious on how legit that story for Armageddon is. Wondering if she had to do the same. 

We're wrapping this up quick because I'm already two days behind on my write-ups. 

Moolah, who was a horrible person, and Mae Young, who the jury is still out on (but was probably at the very least aware of Moolah's actions, and thus complicit) have been brought back to the WWF in the last year as part of the Attitude era.  Probably because Moolah was out of money and had something very bad on Vince.  Anyway, their gimmick is they're crazy old bats who are crazy and old. Moolah is obsessed with the wrestling (and actually won her final WWF Women's Championship the previous fall) and Mae Young is obsessed with sex.  Sigh.  

Anyway, Terri Runnels has divorced Dustin and is drifting aimlessly, but has huge tits.  Jerry Lawler pulled string and had his girlfriend brought in, she would be known as The Kat.  She's most famous for implying her on-screen relationship as Chyna's manager belied an off-screen BDSM lesbian affair. Oh, and she showed her tits at a PPV.  They were also large.  

I've already written about a hundred words here and it's much, MUCH more than this match deserves.  The Kat and Terri are barely trained as wrestlers and should not have been given 5 minutes at god damned WrestleMania.  The main thing about this match I'll say is that Mae Young has decided she wants to kiss special guest referee Val Venis.  Because she's old and likes sex. And that's funny.  Well, like I said, the thing I admire most about wrestlers given a bad gimmick is when they just commit to the bit.  

Mae Young is a prime example of committing to the bit.  She really, REALLY goes nuts on Val.  She actually makes me smile because while the in ring action is awful, Val and Moolah are doing nothing, Mae is doing EVERYTHING in her power to make something happen out there.  That's about all I can say about this.    And thankfully, I'm done with my ride.

End of Day 45.

DAY 46

I'll admit, in pushing through through the last match, I did so because I knew that I'd be through the worst of this show there and the ladder match was definitely the proverbial flower surrounded by dirt.  So, let's start this ride off with some fun. 

The Radicalz are four guys who through fate or company oversight were very bright and talented stars in WCW whos contracts were all up at the same time. (And like I said, Shane Douglas & Konnan were supposedly lumped in here, but no one would call either "bright" or "talented".) Dean Malenko is already the Light Heavyweight Champion, Eddie Guerrero's already injured, and Perry Saturn is already insane. Their opponents are 2 Cool and the now singles competitor Chyna, who'd become the first female Intercontinental Champion in the previous year. The story was that she competed against men because, frankly, none of the women came close to measuring up (and behind the scenes, she knew she didn't want to be a sideshow freak).  

The set up for the match was that Eddie Guerrero loves/wants to fight Chyna.  She, in turn, is disgusted by him (though later on she turns out to love him -- but that's in a few months) and wants to fight. 

The match begins in earnest and the first thing you'll notice is while the other guys are clearly very good at what they do, the stars of this match are Eddie and Chyna.  Both of them are commanding presences, Eddie as the fucking weasely lecherous creep and Chyna as the wrong person to fuck around with.  Dean is clearly having a ball in there, suplexing the shit out of GM Sexay and S2H.  It's also interesting to see how the 3 Rads handle their time with Chyna.  They all bump for her like pinballs and generally do everything in their power to get over what a terrifying threat she is, regardless of her gender. The match is building to a confrontation between Eddie & Chyna, and we finally get it in the final sequence of the match, as Eddie gets hung up on the top, Scotty hot tags her in to a huge pop...  Dean and Perry try to run interference, but it's all for naught. 

Chyna gets the, ahem, testicular claw (Chynese Nutcracker?), on Eddie, which he sells like he's being tasered repeatedly. That leads to a press slam (The Great Wall of Chyna?).  And she finishes him off with a sleeper slam (Chynese Democracy?  There is Only One Chyna?...  okay, I'll stop.)

That was way more fun than I'd remembered.  Also, if you want to see edgelording at its finest, take a trip down memory lane and see what the reviewers at the time were posting about Chyna going over 3 men.  It's amazing we ever made it to 2020. 

• Like 2

Okay... he's up. Yep.

Look, Chris Benoit did something horrific.  I remember when it happened, I'd taken a couple of days off and was at a friend's place on Long Island.  I remember hearing he and his family were dead. My mind instantly went through the stages of grief... first thought, must have been a gas leak and that's a tragedy... then I thought, he could have died defending his house from a break in and he could be a hero...  But then the rumors started.  The horrible, horrible circumstances that were leaking as Raw was doing their tribute to this man.  I went numb.  There was no accident.  No redemption.  No silver lining. 

But there was a lesson.  

People can hide who they are very well.  You learn to love the person you see on TV or the movies or other media because they are exceptional at their craft.  They do not ever have to show you who they really are and more often than not, that's a good thing. So many people in life will disappoint you (or worse)... The people you see on TV, they're ephemeral, they're marketing  research come to life, they're the opposite of what you should base your life on.

Take time to cherish the friends you have.  The ones that show up for you every day in life, that check in on you, that have shared laughs with you, that you've confided in, that you trust.  They're your actual heroes. 

---

Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit are challenging double champion Kurt Angle for the Intercontinental and European championships. Angle had been feuding with both and he got roped into defending both belts at once by Bob Backlund, his manager until moments before Mania started.  Jericho is out first, and while his pre-match rants during this period were usually awesome, this one just missed and the crowd was kind of eh about it except when they got to do his catchphrases.  Benoit is out next, followed by Angle. 

The thing about this match that struck me is they give these guys 15 minutes to go balls to the wall, and basically that's what they do.  The three of them put on a clinic in how triple threat matches are supposed to go.  Basically no breaks in the action, guys cycling in and out, changing alliances, and eventually every one for themself.   Jericho, of course, was a house of fire at this point in his career moving as well and telling as good a story as anyone in the WWF.  Benoit was at the point in his career where he had been WCW Champ and everyone knew he was essentially the best worker on the planet.  Kurt for his part had only been pro wrestling for TWO YEARS(!) and is about as natural a talent as anyone in the industry ever (not named Lesnar).  Kurt is terrifyingly good at promoing, hitting his spots, knowing where he needs to be, and bumping like crazy.  

The story of the match was Kurt didn't want to be in the ring with either of these guys and knew his title reigns are "Eurocontinental Champion" were in deep shit because of it. The first fall was for the Intercontinental Championship -- which went to Benoit after he hit Air Canada on Jericho after he'd tossed Angle to the crowd. The second fall for the European belt was almost won instantly by Benoit because he very smartly covered Jericho again, but that was broken up by a returning Angle. They'd go nuts on each other for the remainder of the match, including a ref bump that saw Benoit get a visual tap by Jericho and Angle almost sneak out a win by braining Jericho with one of the belts. Jericho realized about halfway through the second fall that it was going to be hard to get a tap on either guys, so instead of the Walls, he gets the win and the Euro strap by hitting a vicious Lionsault on Benoit.  

Kurt is irate after that because he'd now lost both belts without being beaten in either fall. 

Next up DX 3.0! 

• Like 3

<kayfabe viewpoint>Angle deserved to lose both titles for disrespecting the accomplishments of D'Lo Brown, the first Eurocontinental Champion!</kayfabe viewpoint>

• Like 2

So Dx has at this point gone through an X-Pac leadership phase before eventually turning heel again and rejoining HHH as enforcers of the McMahon-Helmsley era.  This involved turning on Kane in favor of Tori.  Long term look back seems to think that was a good idea, especially if you enjoy publicly funded services.  His partner is Rikishi who has fully replaced Billy Gunn as the Ass Man of the WWF.   The main story here is a) this is Kane's shot at getting revenge from X-Pac running from him for 6 months after turning on him, and b) Pete Rose made a threat on Sunday Night Heat and no one knows when he's going to strike. 

The match itself is essentially a Sunday Night Heat main event-type.  With Kane raining unmerciful hellfire (and brimstone!) on DX and Rikishi smashing his ass into everyone, including Tori's face.  

Honestly, there's not much to say about this, except I always wanted confirmation on that RSPW-fueled rumor that Kane was set to join DX with a green & black outfit, but Vince changed his mind.  Oh well.  

The finish came with Kane giving Road Dogg a rather vicious spike tombstone. It was so harsh, Kane visibly says something strongly under his mask.  And actually clearly apologizes or says something to Roadie.   

The San Diego Chicken then comes in as 2 Cool came out to dance. It's fascinating to see Kane breaking under the mask, with Paul Bearer barely able to contain himself.  Kane then attacks the Chicken, but Pete Rose comes out... and gets tombstoned.   And this is where the joke has clearly run its course, and so has my ride. 

End of Day 46. 

DAY 47

Vince vs. Stephanie vs. Shane vs. Linda in a Fatal Four Way match for the WWF Championship. It's actually striking that there's no video package to give the final build up to this match.  They've been doing promos all day, and it almost feels out of place that there's nothing here to wrap a bow around this because it's.... involved.  Lemme see if I can try this...

People who were annoyed a few years ago when the show was all McMahons all the time need to remember this time in the Fed's history.  HHH & Stephanie were essentially the on-air monarchs of the WWF, having disposed of Vince & Shane, and with Linda never descending her ivory tower.  Vince is a face at this point, having been turned on by Stephanie in December, so he's leading Team Rock (who's repeatedly told Vince to fuck off, he doesn't want or need his help).  Shane was just being a crafty little shit, and is trying to push the Big Show to the title since he: a) technically tied at the Rumble and deserved a title shot, and b) is using the big doofus as a way to retake power.  Linda has seen Mick Foley's career end at the hand of HHH (CLEANLY btw) and said he deserved a shot to main event because... sure why not. 

Phew.  

Yeah, like I said, this is a LOT of McMahon.  So the match itself begins and the three smaller guys all but instantly team up to get Big Show the fuck out of there. Shane's pick really doesn't look all that great.  (Well... wrestling-wise at least.  Physically.... *devil smile emoji*) Anyway, the real story doesn't get started until Show is out, so see ya later big man.  

Now the fun really begins.  Hunter tries and fails to form allegiances with both guys. Rock and Mick team up for a while in beating up Hunter... until Foley betrays Rock.  And the crowd is shocked.  Foley is pure babyface at this point, so seeing him align with HHH, even mid-match is really weird -- though it makes perfect sense within the context of this match.  Eventually, they set up a spot on the Spanish announce table that goes horribly, horribly wrong. 

Basically Foley was supposed to elbow a prone Rocky through the table while HHH held him down.  Now, I'm guessing there's a latch or something the viewer can't see that causes the table to fall apart, but well...  Foley does an elbow off the apron that comes up about 6 inches short, so he is down on the floor screaming in agony, and Rock is still out on this very solid table. (Ouch) Hunter tries to save the spot by slamming his own elbow through Rock.... and the table STAYS UP.  (Ouch!) Hunter does it AGAIN.... and the third time's the charm because that finally breaks the table.  

I'm guessing they spent that much time because the next thing is Foley getting Pedigreed back to retirement.  They even set up a little hope spot that 20 years later, I bought.  But I still remember watching this match with my buddy Rob, who said loudly when the three hit. "GOD DAMN IT MICK.  YOU JUST *LOVE* JOBBING TO HUNTER! FUCK."  

The spot did it's job because the crowd is distraught at Foley's exit.  But Rock's still in there, so it's fine.   Right?? (sigh)

So yeah, the remaining McMahons remember they're out there, after a pretty good back and forth between HHH and Rocky.  Shane comes out, gets rid of Vince via ANOTHER unprotected chairshot to the head, causing Vince to blade.  Vince comes back, stops Shane from hitting one of the two guys with the chair... Only to betray Rock and cost him the title.  

God, even today, I still think that's a stupid fucking ending.  Rock gets a moral victory as he Rock Bottoms Shane, Vince, and then Stephanie.  I believe that was the first time Steph had ever been beat up, so kudos?   

Yeah, the intergender violence --- LIKE  A *LOT* OF THIS  SHOW -- does not hold up well today.  That being said, it's very interesting to see how the Attitude era had progressed from baby steps, to adolescence, and now into young adulthood. 

What's generally undisputed is, the peak of the Attitude Era is very visible on the horizon.  

WRESTLEMANIA X-SEVEN (or X7, or XVII)

This day's ride was largely taken up by the long ass main event from 16, but I have enough time left for another match so...

When people look back on the "Attitude Era" they're basically saying, I want WWE to be what it was from April '00 through April '01. (Also boobs.)  X7 holds a very special place in a lot of people's hearts (myself included) as one of the best shows ever put on.  As storylines were built solidly, generally made sense, motivations were fleshed out, and the action in the ring for the most part delivered (or over-delivered).  Thank one of the greatest rosters ever assembled for that.  Also a solid writing team led by Chris Kreski and Stephanie McMahon, who were unencumbered by Vince's overthinking - because he was too busy dealing with the brand new XFL.  (Although, and I'm not sure if this was ever actually confirmed, it was Vince's idea to name this show X-Seven because he thought his audiences would be confused by seeing XVII.  Knowing what I know about Vince, I believe this to be 100% true.)

So, we're back in a stadium for the first time in a very long time and the crowd is really really pumped for what should be a fun show.   Let's begin.

Chris Jericho is defending the Intercontinental Championship against the new Commissioner of the WWF, William Regal. The more things change...  

As the video package(!) points out, this is the famous (or infamous) Regal's tea is urine! feud.  I can't remember them ever locking up in WCW, but I'm almost sure this is their first time together in a WWF ring.  And boy howdy do they go at it.   In the build up for this, Jericho & Regal both put each other in their submission finishers, the Walls of Jericho & the Regal Stretch, respectively.  So they're both going for each other's back and shoulders because... hey, if they can't put it on you, you can't get tapped out.  And this actually works brilliantly. 

The match is sub 10 minutes, but Regal gets a pretty solid pound of flesh out of Jericho.  Eventually getting to the point where Jericho has taken complete control over the match and is looking to finish Regal off with the Walls -- his primary finisher.  But his shoulder is hurt enough that he cannot actually hold onto it.   Regal tries to take advantage of it and can't QUITE get the Regal Stretch on either, because he's too hurt.   I was kind of hoping Regal would bust out the Union Jack, which he used like 2 times in his career in the WWF/E, but would've worked as a dynamite sudden finisher (like the Stunner or RKO).  Regal does fall though to a perfect Lionsault for Jericho to retain.   Quite the underrated opener as both guys busted their asses and told a good story in the limited time they had.  

And X7 is off to a rip-roaring start.  But I'm done.

End of Day 47. 

• Like 1