DVDVR Message Board

Dolfan Watches Every Wrestlemania On Lockdown

20 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Lot of athletes and entertainment  have retired to Arizona due to cheap property, warm weather and low taxes

Sid Eudy is from West Memphis, Arkansas.

So, Vince very clearly despises Bill Clinton. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it's because his Justice Department came after WWF, so I guess that's to be expected. He's hired Gennifer Flowers to be an interviewer and she throws some sexual innuendo-laden softballs at the Intercontinental Champ, The Rock. Something by the way, that is NOT up for debate, is that heel Rock > Face Rock.  Anyway, I'd heard some rumors that should POTUS win re-election in November, Rocky may throw his hat in the ring for the '24 Presidential campaign, because, why the hell not.  

Well, this interview is why the hell not. 

We move on to HHH, now in full DX mode, with Chyna. And I should note, this is DX v 1.0, so that's a good thing.  Hunter is European champion, and his challenger is Owen Hart.  Now, both these guys are very, very good workers, but this match really is hampered by the fact that Hunter & Chyna are too cool not to cheer for, and Owen is a nugget.  Commissioner Slaughter is here at ringside to handcuff Chyna to himself, and I wonder if "Commissioner" outranks Sergeant, so I'd know what to call him if and when I ever see him.  Chyna is playing the role of attack dog on a leash and Slaughter is basically doing everything in his power to keep her from attacking.  

So, like I said, the crowd has decided HHH is the face here and Owen is the heel, so everything is off.  I guess that was the limitation of Owen, though if they'd struck while the iron was hot and thrown Owen the world title at the In Your House or the next Rumble, it might have been different.  Oh well.  

Chyna eventually somehow got her hands on a GIGANTIC Ziploc of powder, and tossed it in Slaughter's face.  She gave Owen's nuggets a big ol' smash, and HHH pedigrees him to retain the European championship. 

Owen turned a few weeks later, so did HHH.   

The hype video for Mero and Sable & Luna and The Artist Formerly Known As Goldust starts, and I'm rapidly approaching 45 minutes, so I bail before that match starts.  No need to ruin my ride.  Well, more so. 

End of Day 40. 

Owen going from being as hot as he was as the Sole Surviving Hart to wrestling HHH for the European Championship in the undercard four months later is a textbook "throwing away money" move by the WWF/E that no one talks about because Stone Cold (and later The Rock) covered for all the bad decisions of this type for a few years.

They didn't even have Owen wrestle HBK at IYH: DeGeneration X. They just had a match with a fuck finish on a throwaway RAW and then had Michaels/Shamrock at IYH, which was whatever. 

The Rock had some gems in that interview, like believing that "leader" was beneath him as a term and that "ruler" was more appropriate or being open to the homeless living in whatever brand of refrigerator box they'd prefer...though maybe all this isn't as funny in 2020 as it was then. He went full-on piece of shit for that interview, though, and it was great. 

I have this PPV on VHS as part of the Big 5 VHS collection. I think I'm only missing KoR and SummerSlam from that set. I really should buy them off of eBay just to finally complete them. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So, Vince very clearly despises Bill Clinton. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it's because his Justice Department came after WWF, so I guess that's to be expected. He's hired Gennifer Flowers to be an interviewer and she throws some sexual innuendo-laden softballs at the Intercontinental Champ, The Rock. Something by the way, that is NOT up for debate, is that heel Rock > Face Rock.  Anyway, I'd heard some rumors that should POTUS win re-election in November, Rocky may throw his hat in the ring for the '24 Presidential campaign, because, why the hell not.  

Have We already Had the fake Bill and Lewinsky skits yet? Hard to remember. 

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

. Now, I'm not about to sit here and list 15 teams...

LOD 2000 (Animal and Hawk) (with Sunny), The New Midnight Express (Bodacious Bart and Bombastic Bob) (with Jim Cornette), Los Boricuas (Savio Vega and Miguel Pérez, Jr.), Los Boricuas (Jose Estrada, Jr. and Jesus Castillo), The Truth Commission (Recon and Sniper), Bradshaw and Chainz, The Nation of Domination (Mark Henry and D'Lo Brown), The Nation of Domination (Faarooq and Kama Mustafa), The Quebecers (Jacques Rougeau and Pierre Ouellet), The Rock 'n' Roll Express (Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson), The Headbangers (Mosh and Thrasher), Too Much (Scott Taylor and Brian Christopher), Disciples of Apocalypse (8-Ball and Skull), Steve Blackman and Flash Funk and The Godwinns (Phineas I. Godwinn and Henry O. Godwinn).

Google, copy, paste, my man. Takes about 10 to 15 seconds. Now all of our lives are so much richer. ?

Agree that it would make a great trivia tie-breaker.

Edited by gordi
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I have absolutely zero memory of Steve Blackman and 2 Cold Scorpio being a tag team. What the fuck is that about?

I dunno, but that sounds awesome on paper.

Also, hats off to Scorp for doing Living Dangerously earlier in the month and then getting a Mania appearance and payday to close it.

He was living the high life that March, for sure.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I have absolutely zero memory of Steve Blackman and 2 Cold Scorpio being a tag team. What the fuck is that about?

Agent: Boss, we need one more team. Flash Funk isn't doing anything. Who should we tag him with.

Vince: Black man.

Agent: You got it, boss!

Bradshaw and Chainz is another kind of strange pairing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So, Vince very clearly despises Bill Clinton. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it's because his Justice Department came after WWF, so I guess that's to be expected.

I am not sure that's the reason, at least not the whole reason for Vince regularly making fun of Clinton in TV (he already did this in 93), as the whole steroid trial had to be on track well before Clinton ever took office. I mean Zahorian was arrested in 1989 and considering how WWF cleaned up in fall of 1992 they knew that something was coming. I always read this more of an animosity of Vince against Democrats period (maybe in a "I don't like to pay taxes" kind of way), considering that at times they also went heavy after Obama (maybe not as much as they did with Clinton, but (1) Obama did not offer them that much material and (2) they were not that much under the radar was they were in the mid 90ies).

DAY 41

So, as I said, we got a hype video for the mixed tag match which might as well be "SABLE WRESTLING!!!  Featuring 3 other idiots".   Dustin is in an odd phase here as Goldust had dumped Marlena in favor of Sable and then Luna.  They do have a badass remix of the Goldust song, so that's cool.   And holy shit, the pop for Sable.  I'd honestly forgotten how incredibly over she was at this point.

So, this is the get Sable over at all costs show... so the MVP in that regard is Luna.  She sells being terrified of Sable, as if Sable was holding a Hatori Hanzo sword and she was a low level henchman for Bill. Sable is doing great milking the crowd for everything it's worth.  Goldust even does his part by selling for Sable a few times and putting her over as a massive threat.  Mero is a solid, if unspectacular worker, so his parts are fine, but the crowd is loudly and RABIDLY chanting for Sable.  Even the bearded guy in the front row who is clearly too fucken cool to be at WrestleMania and is just holding up his "THE ICON ROB VAN DAM" sign, has put it down to cheer for Sable. 

When she finally gets her hands on Luna, the arena god damn erupts.  Luna's getting pummelled in the ring and basically gets zero offense on Sable.  The only kind of off spot was Luna kicking out of a SableBomb.  But the point was to show that Sable can go, so a TKO actually finishes about a minute later.   Match was short, inoffensive, and got Sable even MORE over than she already was at that point.  So points for everyone involved. 

Tennessee Lee (Col. Robert Parker) is out now to introduce Jeff Jarrett and the special ring announcer Gennifer Flowers. I really hope they were expecting a heel pop for her, because she's coming out in a state that Bill Clinton won by 30+ in 1996, and at this point, the Impeachment of Bubba was well on its way.  And well... she's not exactly liked by the Boston crowd the way the announcers seem to think she is.  

ANYWAY...  The Rock is defending the IC Title against Ken Shamrock. The Rock is about a week from fully taking over the Nation of Domination and has already turned on Faarooq. Except for two things, the match itself is not really notable because it's SUPER quick... like sub 5 minutes.  The first thing, it was weird seeing the (unnamed) People's Elbow not be the Rock's finisher... and it calls into question the very recent story of The Rock doing it to make Undertaker break character during a match.  Second... the chairshots. 

Look Ken Shamrock is not the brightest bulb in the batch, but holy MOTHER FUCK... He takes two UNPROTECTED chairshots here.  Rock clearly pulls up on the second, but Shamrock's head dents the shit out of the chair, so it couldn't have been all that safe.   Jesus Christ was that scary.  

So the finish is an old Dusty classic.  Shamrock locks on an ankle lock, and Rocky taps out like the snivelling coward he was. Kenneth though, has snapped, and won't let go for anything.  It takes them like 3-4 minutes just to get Ken off of the Rock... including a teased save from Ron Simmons where he just walks away after running to the ring. (I don't remember if Simmons turned face, because the next thing I remember of him was being in the Undertaker's Acolytes, and then a while after that, the APA.)

The audio guy fucks up and catches Fink halfway through the announcement that Rock is the IC Champ.  So he has to repeat it, and the crowd is pissed.  For his part, Rocky was amazing in the small time he had as basically all he had to do was sell, which is one of his strongest talents.   Shamrock attacks Rocky AGAIN because why not. ? 

The inter gender match always reminds me of the story about everyone in Gorilla going crazy for Sable afterwards and congratulating her while ignoring Luna to the point that she broke into tears.  

Without looking it up, I think Faarooq feuded with the Nation and came out the losing end after like a month. Then he got paired up with Bradshaw, who’d just come out the losing end of a feud with Cornette’s NWA stable, and Jackyl managed them for a cup of coffee before the Minstry got going. 

15 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The inter gender match always reminds me of the story about everyone in Gorilla going crazy for Sable afterwards and congratulating her while ignoring Luna to the point that she broke into tears.  

I remember reading an interview with Luna before she passed and she mentioned this, and that Owen was the only one who came up to her to say great job etc.

• Like 4

On 5/24/2020 at 8:53 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

This is a Chicago Street Fight.  In Rosemont, IL. 

I remember they did another one of those at the beginning of a Raw between LOD and DOA that took place in the loading dock. Taker casually walked in, beat everyone's ass, and entered the arena without breaking a sweat. 

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2020 at 4:01 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sid just looks like a star.  Some dudes just got "it" and Sid is one of those guys.  He always seemed like a cool dude,  even when he was in the horsemen he had these little mini feuds with Motor City Madman, Big Cat and the Nightstalker and he was over like a MF.  

Sid rules.  

I’d say that loving Sid is one of the four most common things that led users here from elsewhere on the wrestling internet, in particular  in the 2000-2005-ish timeframe:

-Sid being awesome 

-Mark Henry matches being awesome

-Vanilla terrible storyless chain wrestling by Johnny Kickpads dudes sucking 

-Bunkhouse Buck

Truly the Mount Rushmore of DVDVR getting it right.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I’d say that loving Sid is one of the four most common things that led users here from elsewhere on the wrestling internet, in particular  in the 2000-2005-ish timeframe:

-Sid being awesome 

-Mark Henry matches being awesome

-Vanilla terrible storyless chain wrestling by Johnny Kickpads dudes sucking 

-Bunkhouse Buck

Truly the Mount Rushmore of DVDVR getting it right.

I'm kind of lukewarm on Sid. Do I have to leave?

Sid V has never interested me post-Humongous, but I will always resent the fact that he almost successfully manslaughtered Arn Anderson (a worker who has brought me much enjoyment) with a pair of safety scissors. He is large, so I see why Mr. McMahon and many folks here love him.

- RAF

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

DAY 41

Even the bearded guy in the front row who is clearly too fucken cool to be at WrestleMania and is just holding up his "THE ICON ROB VAN DAM" sign, has put it down to cheer for Sable.

would this by any chance have been ECW Arena front row regular "Faith No More Guy" ?  IIRC he'd turn up at some WWF shows too

Edited by BobbyWhioux