DVDVR Message Board

Announcing the BEST OF THE 2010s POLL~!

RIPPA

Well we all got nothing but time now so in the tradition of all the other polls it is BEST OF THE 2010S~! time (I want to call it the Aughts but that is confusing too)

Anyway

BALLOTS DUE: July 1, 2020 (clearly a tentative date)

BALLOT LENGTH: Minimum Ballot Length: 50 Movies. Maximum Ballot Length: 100 (Ranked 1-100)

BALLOTS EMAIL: DVDVRMAIL AT GMAIL DOT COM (In an ideal world you will submit your ballot 1-100 MOVIE TITLE, DIRECTOR, YEAR)

ELIGIBLE MOVIES: Release date between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2019 per IMDB

I know there will be some wackiness with the IMDB dates... there are with any method we choose.

We will hammer out the other stuff as we go. This thread will stay here for now for more eyeballs and then move to the sub-folder

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well we all got nothing but time now so in the tradition of all the other polls it is BEST OF THE 2010S~! time (I want to call it the Aughts but that is confusing too)

Anyway

BALLOTS DUE: July 1, 2020 (clearly a tentative date)

BALLOT LENGTH: Minimum Ballot Length: 50 Movies. Maximum Ballot Length: 100 (Ranked 1-100)

BALLOTS EMAIL: DVDVRMAIL AT GMAIL DOT COM (In an ideal world you will submit your ballot 1-100 MOVIE TITLE, DIRECTOR, YEAR)

ELIGIBLE MOVIES: Release date between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2019 per IMDB

I know there will be some wackiness with the IMDB dates... there are with any method we choose.

We will hammer out the other stuff as we go. This thread will stay here for now for more eyeballs and then move to the sub-folder

07610eb6882033355a4c9b126575f4c7.jpg

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I really should institute a "no more than 3 Marvel movies" rule

..I'm fucked.

?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Inside the Spiderverse is the one that has the strongest chance of making my ballot.

Mine too and shockingly enough, I don't think that Endgame will be my #1.

I'm not sure it will even crack the Top 5.

Off the top of my head without research, my gut Top 5 looks like:

Spoiler

1. Moonlight

2. Parasite

3. Black Panther

4. Get Out

and tied for fifth.

5. Mad Max: Fury Road / Hereditary / Under The Skin.

I need to find room for Ex Machina in there somewhere.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I should make Man of Steel my #1 film of the decade just to watch heads explode and keyboards melt. ?

1. Justice League / Snyder Cut

2. Man of Steel

• Haha 3

My comment was more that I know that I will receive some ballots that will have a dozen Marvel movies (and it gets more if you think all comic book movies)

If I was doing a ballot right now - I legit can only think of one that would make my Top 100

I am not sure if I will need a Marvel rule so much as I will need an A24 rule.

Literally all of their horror releases since Hereditary and leading up to 2019 could possibly show up on my ballot somewhere.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I think Hereditary might be top 40 for me.

As much as I love Hereditary, I don't even think it's A24's strongest release in this time frame, not with Midsommar, GREEN ROOM~!, Under The Skin, The Lighthouse, and The Witch right there.

I still need to watch In Fabric, High Life, and The Colour Out Of Space.

Edited by J.T.

Looking over my ballots for the polls we did for 2014, 2015, and the half decade and there are a few that I had placed highly that I'm not sure are going to make my top 100. They are at the very least going to get smoked by films I had much lower. For example, I'm not sure if Whiplash is going to make the cut. 

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

As much as I love Hereditary, I don't even think it's A24's strongest release in this time frame, not with Midsommar, GREEN ROOM~!, Under The Skin, The Lighthouse, and The Witch right there.

Under The Skin is going to be very high for me. The Witch (which I had forgotten about, thanks for reminding me) is going to be somewhere near the middle, and Midsommar  and The Lighthouse are both on my long vacation watch list. May or may not get around to Green Room.

Edited by Execproducer
  • Like 1

The thing I am most excited about is everyone realizing what movies did and did not come out this decade

Like I was just looking through 2010 and realized that the horror skylift movie Frozen came out then and I am like "motherfucker - no one better fucking vote for that because I will definitely fuck up the tracking of that"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I really have to prep for this if I’m going to have a top 100. I could put together a top 50 pretty easily, but I don’t know if I’d be that pleased with it. Never realized this decade was such a blind spot for me. 

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The thing I am most excited about is everyone realizing what movies did and did not come out this decade

Like I was just looking through 2010 and realized that the horror skylift movie Frozen came out then and I am like "motherfucker - no one better fucking vote for that because I will definitely fuck up the tracking of that"

I reviewed Frozen for Movie Feast back in the day.  Novel concept and fairly solid movie, but nothing to write home about.

Edited by J.T.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire hit Hulu today. Critical consensus makes me think that will be a strong player on ballots. Without rewatching stuff my preliminary top 5 might be (or thinking through every film I've seen).

Spoiler

1. The Master

2. Tree of Life

3.The Social Network

4. Mad Max: Fury Road

5. Before Midnight

Edited by Chaos

3 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Under The Skin is going to be very high for me. The Witch (which I had forgotten about, thanks for reminding me) is going to be somewhere near the middle, and Midsommar  and The Lighthouse are both on my long vacation watch list. May or may not get around to Green Room.

Make time for Green Room.  It may be the best of the A24 arthouse horror revolution lot thus far and definitely was one of the Top 10 or so movies of 2016 for me.

The amazing casting against type of Patrick Stewart must be seen in all of its violent glory.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2