DVDVR Message Board

Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson Appreciation.

How good do I think DB is?

He could, even now, walk into any promotion on the planet and fit in perfectly. Dude is an absolute chameleon at changing up his style to suit whatever he’s booked for. Like as good as Jericho is, factually so, at changing himself up, Bryan does it without skipping a single beat. You give Bryan shit, he gives you gold; you give Bryan comedy, he gets it so over it gets everyone involved over; you give Bryan an 18 second loss, the crowd rebels so much it benefits Bryan.

And then there’s the matches.

Joe, Strong, Kenta, ROH War Games, Storm, Cabana, Delirious, Punk, Cena, Shield, Wyatt, Kingston, Nigel M...

And the character shifts. Dude came back from a career ending injury and could never be booked as a heel again, surely? Well, he not only becomes a heel but is so amazing as a heel that he gets legitimate boos, and is then told he won work as a face again... and flawlessly transitions into being a face in a way that makes perfect sense for his character.

People talk about the next Flair, Michaels, Hart... Daniel Bryan took a little part of almost every top line wrestler who ever lived, and meshed it with an incredibly likeable, humble personality and an exceptional level of talent. He is, hands down, one of the best wrestlers of all time. 

• Like 6

@"Stone Cold" Steve Austin: Allegedly with how the yes chant broke from wrestling into popular culture like at sports games turned Bryan away from the Wyatt Family in a short space of time. I can see that. The crowd reactions to a WrestleMania XXX main event between Randy Orton and Batista led to Daniel Bryan getting put into the match if he beat Triple H there as originally it was Bryan vs. Sheamus at WrestleMania XXX. Bryan's bond in popularity with the fans forced someone stubborn as Vince McMahon/WWE to change plans.

Edited by The Natural

19 hours ago, DeathyBoy said:

How good do I think DB is?

He could, even now, walk into any promotion on the planet and fit in perfectly. Dude is an absolute chameleon at changing up his style to suit whatever he’s booked for.

I'm now sad we'll never get to see Bryan is FREEDOMS just to see him try and fit in.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In an interview with the Mirror, Daniel Bryan discussed feeling bad for Rey Mysterio when Mysterio was the final entrant in the 2014 Royal Rumble match instead of Bryan: “So actually, I felt really bad for Rey. I was actually watching the match, I was sitting with my soon-to-be wife -- we were engaged at the time. We were sitting backstage waching the monitor and I could feel the temperature of the audience. I was like, ‘ooh!’ I didn’t know exactly what was gonna happen in the Royal Rumble or anything like that. And then when Rey came out and he got booed because he wasn’t me, I felt so bad because Rey is one of my heroes and he’s also one of the best wrestlers of all time, and one of those guys who still -- despite having wrestled for as long as he has --- still puts everything out there, constantly working hard and all of it. That’s the last person you should boo! So, really there was this weird sort of, ‘Yeah this feels good that people want me, but I feel so bad for Rey.’”I

---

It was something hearing REY MYSTERIO booed like that when everyone thought Daniel Bryan would be the #30 in the 2014 Royal Rumble match. Crowd wasn't happy at all. Crowd wasn't happy with Daniel Bryan's elimination halfway through the 2015 Royal Rumble match so shit on the rest of it.

Just watched the first hour of the best of Daniel Bryan in WXW on the network. Good matches, bad commentary, horrible crowds. Still, in the first hour alone I watched him against Marufuji & Hero and the start of a match against Nigel. Reminds me of ROH era American Dragon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...