DVDVR Message Board

Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson Appreciation.

Couple things. 

1. That "Exploder" looked more like a Hase-style uranage. I just watched him in the NJ vs. WAR feud and he liked to land people like that. 

2. Never noticed Regal's "Made in England" tattoo before. 

3. What a great rib with the music. His reaction was perfect.

4. How good were those Bryan/Henry matches I bet? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

The entire three way feud between Bryan/Show/Henry ruled, especially since Bryan turned heel halfway through when he won the title. We got a couple months of plucky underdog technician Bryan taking super heavyweights to their limit, and then we got a couple months of cocky, mean little shit Bryan besting monsters by the skin of his teeth. That entire run laid the foundation for everything that followed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 7:11 PM, paul sosnowski said:

Quarter Final Match of the 2007 NWA World Heavyweight Title Tournament

it's a shame Danielson got injured and never won the NWA belt during this "Reclaiming the Glory" tournament timeframe. 

• Like 1

The Henry/Show/Bryan feud was awesome because it was the first time they really let Bryan show a personality and the only time in WWE that he acted similar to his dick-ish ROH Title run. I remember losing my shit when he offered Henry a handshake and then did the "too slow" thing and walked away like a little asshole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

81JMPdW.jpg

Yet another dude I have been lucky enough to meet a few times. He's got ties to the local Vancouver indie scene. They gave him work before he was a big name and so he often paid them back by coming up to work small shows for ECCW and Vancouver All Star in the early 2000s after he was well known for his work in ROH, Japan, and elsewhere. He always hung out at the after-parties and talked with everyone. Truly a good dude. Interesting, easy-going, laughs at your jokes...

This was from the 2005 Pacific Cup after-party, if I remember correctly. The pic was snapped by my good friend, SLAM wrestling hall of famer Vicious Verne.

If memory serves: We also sat at the same table with Bryan at the WrestleMania 21 watchng party (at Dropkick Murphy's?). I was impressed by his behaviour there. He was ramping up for his championship run n ROH, probably the biggest name and consensus best wrestler on the Indies, but he refused to be the center of attention. He kept turning the spotlight on other guys at the table, encouraging them to tell stories or reminding them of something the funny they'd done. The man just exuded generosity, consideration, and genuine warmth. When HBK and Angle went into that long and marvelous chain wrestling sequence, Verne quietly and 100 per cent accurately called every move, hold, and counter just before they executed it. Bryan noticed, and gleefully turned the spotlight on my old buddy. Afterward, I'd lamented to Verne that I had really wanted to get a picture with Bryan but had been afraid to look markish in front of the boys.

A few weeks later, at the Pacific Cup after-party, Verne had a quiet word with Bryan and we arranged to sneak out and get a snapshot when nobody was looking. Dragon did everything in his power to put me at ease about it and then when we went back inside he was once again making sure that guys like Jesse Jimenez, Puma (TJ Perkins), and JJ Perez all got some attention and a chance to tell a joke or a story. He did that quietly and subtly. I only noticed because I was paying pretty close attention.

I've been super lucky to meet a lot of very cool, nice, and fun people in the pro wrestling world. Bryan Danielson legit seems to be right up there as maybe the best dude and the biggest heart in the business. Literally could not be a nicer guy.

• Like 19

I will not forget going to some sweaty gym in the summer of '05 in like Langley or something (a suburb of Vancouver for 99.9% of the board) to see him work his heel shtick complete with cape and beard. The majority of us were there to see him and we weren't going to boo Our Dude. He looked both genuinely appreciative of our love yet also slightly irritated that we weren't playing our roles, hahaha. Awe man... I think his match had a little person referee who counted him down when he was on his stomach, Cameron style. The main event was a deathmatch between Matt Borne and Juggernaut. It wasn't good so we just left halfway through.

Bryan is one of the best and better yet, as so well put by Gordi above, seemingly one of the better people the wrestling world has and will likely ever see.  

• Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 7:26 AM, twiztor said:

it's a shame Danielson got injured and never won the NWA belt during this "Reclaiming the Glory" tournament timeframe. 

I remember having high hopes for this as the resurgence of the NWA 

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
On 3/28/2020 at 8:51 AM, The Natural said:

If I could pick any two wrestlers to meet?

Stan Hansen and Terry Funk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

f0ee2-15450293838744-800.jpg

Ec7jJUtX0AQakTh?format=jpg&name=360x360

afd11efbf0b03811-600x338.jpg

I miss The New Daniel Bryan. A memorable reign as WWE Champion and cutting promos chastising people for consumerism and gluttony. I'd have that version of Bryan Danielson second only to his run as Ring of Honour World Champion from September 2005-December 2006.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

He's my favorite Wrestler too,  Gabe's Era of Ring of Honor might be my favorite era of wrestling so guys like Danielson, Homicide , Joe and Ki are sentimental favorites of mine I loved the best of 5 He and Homicide did in 05. He used a Airplane spin in the Finish of a Cage match in 2005 and it was believable. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Added a week ago. The greatest Ring of Honour World Champion in history. I will say Bryan vs. Low Ki at ROH Round Robin Challenge 2002 and Bryan vs. Morishima from ROH Manhattan Mayhem II really should be there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...