DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/25/2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Then the others aren't going to know what the hell he's talking about. Which is another issue. Why waste that time? Does the fan that is going to stop watching because "I wish they'd just shit on the McMahons like they used to" really exist? What purpose does any of that serve for the overall show?

Then they think he’s a crazy cult leader that doesn’t like people to eat while he eats and hates people sneezing. 

The whining about AEW occasionally taking random shots at WWE and being Bush league and a #2 thing is ridiculous. The WWE took numerous shots at WCW when they were going head to head. And HHH and DX joked with Billy Gunn at the hall of fame about AEW and everyone being an EVP.

Subtle shots that wink to the audience are a part of modern wrestling. Doing it every week when you’re intention is clearly to get the attention of the big guy in town to provoke a response would be pathetic but that’s not what they’ve done.

Pointing out that there is no invisible wall is true (and kind of funny), having a cult leader character based off or taking some influence from an alpha male figure that is known to be surrounded by sycophants actually makes some sense.

And again the WWE was more aggressive doing these things when WCW existed, DX literally showed up outside of a an arena WCW was performing on and tried to get in on live WWF tv.

And they won the war, so obviously mentioning and mocking your competition isn’t a fatal error and something only a #2 does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The WWE took numerous shots at WCW when they were going head to head. And HHH and DX joked with Billy Gunn at the hall of fame about AEW and everyone being an EVP.

And again the WWE was more aggressive doing these things when WCW existed, DX literally showed up outside of a an arena WCW was performing on and tried to get in on live WWF tv.

All of this was stupid.

If your best defense of an angle is "but WWE did something similar," that angle sucks. No one should know that better than AEW fans, many of whom are disaffected WWE fans.

36 minutes ago, Bryan said:

And they won the war, so obviously mentioning and mocking your competition isn’t a fatal error and something only a #2 does.

WWE were #2 at the time of most of your examples. And I didn't say it was a fatal error - I just said it was bad business. WWE has a long history of bad business decisions. AEW is in no danger of going out of business, but if their shows are hyper-focused on catering to a very specific demographic of hardcore fan that will already be watching, they are ignoring everyone outside of that demographic. Much discussion has been made of WWE leaving money on the table - I'd prefer it if AEW didn't do the same. You're welcome to call that whining if you want to, but all I'm interested in is a more entertaining kayfabe-based wrestling show instead of one that veers into Russo territory. It's objectively better for all of us if AEW grows its fanbase, and this ain't the way to do it.

15 minutes ago, Peck said:

We can all agree that every single one of us on this board will be all-in once they start taking shots at a certain buck-toothed producer.  ?

It turns out Evil Uno has a job with Brodie for life because one time his dad saved a trunk full of Dark Order masks from a car fire. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

All of this was stupid.

If your best defense of an angle is "but WWE did something similar," that angle sucks. No one should know that better than AEW fans, many of whom are disaffected WWE fans.

WWE were #2 at the time of most of your examples. And I didn't say it was a fatal error - I just said it was bad business. WWE has a long history of bad business decisions. AEW is in no danger of going out of business, but if their shows are hyper-focused on catering to a very specific demographic of hardcore fan that will already be watching, they are ignoring everyone outside of that demographic. Much discussion has been made of WWE leaving money on the table - I'd prefer it if AEW didn't do the same. You're welcome to call that whining if you want to, but all I'm interested in is a more entertaining kayfabe-based wrestling show instead of one that veers into Russo territory. It's objectively better for all of us if AEW grows its fanbase, and this ain't the way to do it.

Well, if they were number 2 when they did it, it demonstrably wasn’t bad business considering they put their competitors out of business.

And it wasn’t my best argument, I was merely countering your argument that it was bush league because TNA did it.

I think it makes logical sense for former WWE employees to have an axe to grind and mention some things if they want. It’s realistic and pushes the envelope a little bit.

Cody didn’t just smash HHH’s throne, he went out and had one of the best matches of 2019–a match that the WWE had and didn’t care about. He took a shot and delivered.

It’s no different than an NBA player getting traded or not re-signed and then taking shots at his old team in the media and then dropping 50 on them.

As long as AEW guys continue to deliver with the storylines and matches the little shots they take are fine.

It’s only a problem if their product sucks because then when you do it looks like you’re desperate for attention. But right  now, AEW has been consistently better than the WWE and they’re the new upstart taking on the stodgy corporate behemoth.

• Like 2

I'm of two minds on this:

• The digs on all sides are petty and the one making the shot almost always looks butthurt. If you enjoy petty, butthurt losers, more power to ya.
  • If Vince McMahon is butthurt over petty digs, all the better.

On the whole, I thank the petty, butthurt losers for giving us pointless drama to snicker about.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bryan said:

Then they think he’s a crazy cult leader that doesn’t like people to eat while he eats and hates people sneezing.

Yeah, this point needs to be emphasized more. That promo worked just fine even if you didn't get that it included shots at Vince, so I have no idea what Morelock is complaining about. My brother was e-mailing Wednesday night to gush about how good Brodie's steak dinner promo was. It's possible he picked up on the Vince angle, but he certainly didn't mention it.

• Like 2