DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/25/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I liked this episode. They had a skeleton crew and worked with what they had.

I thought Cody and Schiavone were a great pairing. Kenny wasn’t the best on commentary but he’s no Mike Adamle either.

Cody vs Havoc was good so was Darby vs Sabina. Swagger vs That one guy and Brodie Lee vs QT Marshall were squashes. 

I’m looking forward to Moxley vs Hager that’s gonna be fun. Hager is 4-0 and Moxley is a crazy man so it’s gonna be a wild brawl when these two do finally meet.

So the Brodie eating a steak vignette was a shot at Vince. Is Brodie’s character a parody of McMahon? I do feel like the dynamic of The Dark Order is changing. Brodie felt more like a mob boss than a cult leader.

Kenny vs Sammy was match of the night, they wrestled in front of no one like 15,000 people were there. Good for them not phoning it in when I don’t think anyone would blame them.

Jericho and Hardy are fucking awesome. The Cameraman singing the chorus was pretty cool. Jericho trying to get Vangaurd 1 to join the Inner Circle was hilarious. The whole final segment was really good. It really fits Jerichos character to say he’s banned all fans from AEW events until further notice. The Empty Arena shows are Jerichos doing not the global pandemic.  

They are doing a good job during this, there empty arena shows are better than the WWE’s have been. I’m hoping they film some stuff at the Hardy Compound to fill out the show in the upcoming weeks if they are prohibited from continuing airing live. 

By the looks of the final segment they are building to some sort of deletion match. Idk if the match could take up the entire show but Matt and Jericho could do some crazy shit If they are left to their own devices.

• Like 1

I think it works so much better if Hardy and Lee switched places, yes Hardy would have to play heel and tone it down a bit but the ‘broken’ gimmick has run its course. 

They had their reasons for doing it this way but Lee would’ve fitted better as the surprise 5th man for the Elite.

14 minutes ago, (BP) said:

This shit is still right twice a day.

43172185-9-AC1-4135-8-B39-E08-FB0-DD4306

Whoa, how could I have forgotten Sable’s classic catchphrase, “What are you looking at?”

It should fairly obvious what people are looking at, Rena. 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, (BP) said:

This shit is still right twice a day.

43172185-9-AC1-4135-8-B39-E08-FB0-DD4306

Whoa, how could I have forgotten Sable’s classic catchphrase, “What are you looking at?”

Based on the picture on the clock, this looks like it's from her ill fated heel run. That's probably why no one remembers it.

Re: Austin wearing sunglasses

I vividly remember Austin in some magazine pictures from 97/98 with him wearing sunglasses. I think they just found an old picture and stuck it on the package.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Two count is still a two count but yeah, OWA was a very protected move even when it's a guy like Okada taking it.  It's one of the most protected gaijin finishers since Hanson's lariat or Vader's Power Bomb although Kenny is arguably more Japanese than most Japanese people.

Jay White's old finisher is now a false finish / hope spot and IIRC he's using Frankie Kazarian's Wave of the Future / Bray Wyatt's Sister Abigail as his actual finisher.

If you mean the Bladerunner, that was also Alex Shelley's Shellshock.

• Like 3

That's Sable when she was still with Mero and he was starting to go all Heel Savage on her. All of that plus Heel Nation Rock, Weird Makeup Taker, Sunglasses Austin, and Kane killing Vader would put the clock somewhere in early 98. That hybrid logo is weird as hell, and wasn't used for much.

I just realized I'm not in the merch thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

That's Sable when she was still with Mero and he was starting to go all Heel Savage on her. All of that plus Heel Nation Rock, Weird Makeup Taker, Sunglasses Austin, and Kane killing Vader would put the clock somewhere in early 98. That hybrid logo is weird as hell, and wasn't used for much.

I just realized I'm not in the merch thread.

Nope (per ebay)

P0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Took a pandemic, but Vince Russo is finally right about something.

Vince Russo is the voice of reason and common sense?

B5kfOdGCMAA57WU.jpg

• Haha 3

Late to the party, but finally got a chance to watch the show:

- Cody and Tony we fine on commentary in a "friends chatting" type of way. But the actual play by play definitely took a hit without Excalibur there, they made quite a few mistakes calling moves. 

- I hated the shots from the locker room, once or twice is fine but they definitely overdid it. Sasha and Gunn Jr were specially annoying with the ridiculous overselling of it.

- I Like Brodie's promo, gave the Dark Order a whole new feel. They now feel a bit more like a crazy comic book mob/cult with a Psycho Joker-like guy leading the way. They also improved his outfit although it could still be much better, get him some pants a size or two up for starters.

- Kenny and Guevara had a great match and I'm sure they can have an even better one in front of a hot crowd. Sammy is getting SO GOOD tho, he's always in character and he's a blast to watch. I loved his FU right before Kenny put him out of his misery.

- Jericho and Matt was a sight to behold. I loved that they didn't use handheld mics ("Is he using the Britney Mic?") and Jericho is just the perfect guy to play off Matt right now. He takes it the right amount of serious but also plays along with the silliness enough to make it incredibly entertaining. I like Matt's gimmick because you can either play into the whole ancient spirit thing with him or see him as just a crazy delusional guy that would be shouting in the streets and either way works.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, eikerir said:

- I like Matt's gimmick because you can either play into the whole ancient spirit thing with him or see him as just a crazy delusional guy that would be shouting in the streets and either way works.

I think the gimmick works best when it’s walking that line of plausible deniability, where everything can just as easily be written off as the raving of a guy who’s been hit in the head too many times and has the money to create wacky illusions to back up his bizarre claims.  For that reason, I didn’t like the teleportation bit, as it strayed too far into the realm of Matt actually being a magical character.  I think a good rule of thumb for the character moving forward should be that anything that is pre-taped at the Hardy Compound can be as nuts as they want it to be, but everything that happens live in the arena needs to be constrained to the laws of reality and/or be explainable in some way.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Finished the show last night.  I agree with all assessments that Omega/Sammy would have been better in front of  a crowd.  It was too long for an empty arena match.

The Hardy/Jericho segment sucked.  Wrestlers aren't great actors and without a crowd to pop for their lines, this was just really bad community theater.

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think the gimmick works best when it’s walking that line of plausible deniability, where everything can just as easily be written off as the raving of a guy who’s been hit in the head too many times and has the money to create wacky illusions to back up his bizarre claims.  For that reason, I didn’t like the teleportation bit, as it strayed too far into the realm of Matt actually being a magical character.  I think a good rule of thumb for the character moving forward should be that anything that is pre-taped at the Hardy Compound can be as nuts as they want it to be, but everything that happens live in the arena needs to be constrained to the laws of reality and/or be explainable in some way.

If you want an idea of where Matt's planning to take this him on Jericho's pod would be a great resource.  He did mention being a bit darker than previous versions of the Broken character (hence the Damascus name)  And I think he mentioned something about being able to alternate between this and something resembling regular Matt but using a different name.  So it seems possible but we'll see how things happen.

I’d be fine with Broken Matt being inhabited by Damascus, and then regular Matt shows up occasionally, but his brain is scrambled from being possessed and he can’t figure out where he is in his own timeline, so he comes out in the plaid gear, the V1 gear, etc. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, EVA said:

I couldn't agree with you more on this. Best of both worlds. Im hoping this ends up being sort of like how they eventually learned to do a much better job with the separation of TV/BTE, except you can do the Hardy stuff on TV just not in the building, as you said.