DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/25/2020

Dolfan in NYC

27 minutes ago, AxB said:

It was really annoying how many of the breaks were actual breaks, where the uncut stream just showed the logo and the background guitar riff. And when they were in break during matches, Cody would sort of test commentary lines out so he could say them on TV later (in the same match, I mean). He even apologised to us for doing it

I thought I was the only one that caught that, when they said they were going to commercial but didn't actually and Cody & Tony were talking about how Cody hand picked those bike racks.

Overall an entertaining show. Sammy is still amazing at his heelin'. Brandi's reaction was just amazing. Tons of segments made me laugh but none as much as Jericho cutting a promo on a drone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

We need a gif of Sammy making out with the Brandi picture and her disgusted reaction immediately. 

We also had a debate about who was the best captain on Star Trek, I'm sure JBL is rolling over in his grave.

I'm really starting to love Sammy's character work, he leaning into the Stevie Richards style clueless putz flunky and I love me some clueless comedy henchmen.

Also high comedy of Cody's reaction to Jake telling him to bring all his people.  Cody's comment of "Do I have that many people" ignoring the fact he's done ring entrances with like 5 people with him and a dog.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Dynamite was bumped from TSN 2 this week, airing on TSN 3 and 4.

What other major sporting event was going on that could necessitate bumping live wrestling? A special airing of Talladega Nights. 

Was it going to be the Highlander until they learned that it was shit?

Fun show.  Brodie Lee looked good in ring.  And the promo was fantastic.  Very much enjoying him thus far, and really looking forward to a really strong run here.  I dig the McMahon digs. Well deserved.  

The closing segment should have been terrible, but somehow worked.  Jericho is just that good, and Hardy is ridiculous and very funny. 

Sammy and Darby continue to impress.  I think I expected something more out of that main event with Omega, but it was pretty stellar none the less.  Darby's promo was fine if not a bit lame, but I assume his target audience is digging it just fine. 

Jake's promo was a bit silly, and below his high standard. 

I like Hager adding the slam into his finishing submission.  That said, he does not have the necessary intensity for the kind of big league monster act they want him to be.  My hope is they cut their losses and just feed him to Mox quickly.  And then stand him back behind Jericho in one of his polos asap.  He's good in that role, not as good in the current one.  

The locker room cheering section could have used a bit of direction.  And I wish they would have addressed on air that they're postponing both Blood n Guts and the Best Friends-Lucha Bros tag.  Or did I miss something?    

Cody and Kenny were both excellent on commentary.  Tony was better than usual too.  Again, fun show. 

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Definitely lost something not having the guys in the seats, a lot less energy. Otherwise a good show.

I definitely missed that aspect this week. I assume it was for social isolation issues.

This promo was just one of those rare things where they walk a fine line of just avoiding it becoming ridiculousness or awful. And I think a large part of that is due to Jericho's ability.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you told the folks who didn't like AEW at the beginning "In March 2020, there will not be a single fan in the stands and the main event will include Y2J cutting a promo on a drone", they would have thought they were right, and AEW was going out of business.

Instead it's the best thing going in the business.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Brody Lee is dope. Outfit is slightly better than last week.

Matt Hardy isn’t for me. I dug the delete shit couple of years back, but this is just hard to get into.

Jericho is the GOAT. It is not even up for debate anymore. True MVP of AEW.

• Like 1

I didnt love the ending. The teleportation thing followed by a long talking segment was a little too "another organization" for me. But I also logically understand that they're running during a pandemic with a skeleton crew, so by any metric, this was still a pretty solid show.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Has anyone ever kicked out of the One Winged Angel? 

Ishii has kicked out of it once, but it's fucking Ishii.  He should kick out of everything, especially something that drops him on his iron skull.

Okada has kicked out of it once, but not from the subsequent V-Trigger that killed him dead.

No lie.  I really was hoping that Sammy would win that title match.

Edited by J.T.

Loved Cody big leaguing Tony about him saying his favorite Captain was Sisko, and his very flat, “I’m being told that it’s Chris Pine. Kelvin timeline.” (Although that did not look like Chris Pine.) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

Did anyone else catch the second week-in-a-row dig at Vince that Brodie did?

Dude, Helen Keller saw what they did there.

Matt "teleporting" was so fucking hokey and yet it totally worked in that environment. The kind of thing they could never get away with in a full arena.

5 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Loved Cody big leaguing Tony about him saying his favorite Captain was Sisko, and his very flat, “I’m being told that it’s Chris Pine. Kelvin timeline.” (Although that did not look like Chris Pine.) 

I was wondering if anyone else heard that. Just these two Trekkies dropping some really nerdy references. Cody and Tony commentating felt a lot like baseball commentating at times and I think that's why I liked it so much. It just felt good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I was wondering if anyone else heard that. Just these two Trekkies dropping some really nerdy references. Cody and Tony commentating felt a lot like baseball commentating at times and I think that's why I liked it so much. It just felt good.

Damn right.  I might not be into Star Trek (seems great, just not for me) but hearing them debate which captain was such a great change of pace compared to WWE's commentary style.  Different companies and all but as long as they still get the story across then I'll take friends talking Star Trek every time.  Also, if you're up for more Trek talk Cody was on AEW's podcast a couple weeks ago and they spent a good chunk of time talking Trek and Potter.  This is assuming of course that you haven't checked it out yet.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Check out the episode of the AEW podcast with Cody.  All Trek talk all the time.

Decent episode.  As others have said, the lack of wrestlers in the crowd hurt it a little but what can you do?

Other random ass observations from the first half of the show (I still need to watch the second hour):

• I LOL'd at Cody casually mentioning QT's hair plugs/replacement surgery.
  • I wasn't down with Cody's saying "Daddy eats first!" about 15 times, which is a reference to an ill-advised t-shirt he had in ROH.  Some Eric Bischoff scissors joke level beating it into the ground.
  • Brodie needed to have been eating a VKM STEAK WRAP, not a filet.  It looked tasty as fuck though
  • It's been mentioned before that this promotion is awesome because it's not afraid to change shit that's not good.  Angry Grape Brodie Lee got new gear in a week!
  • Jake's promo was meandering and meaningless and that's with more edits and cuts than ODB's verse in ICP's "Bitches."  WTF?
Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Brodie was eating either a porterhouse or a ribeye (probably a ribeye). His steak had a bone and way too much fat for a filet. One of the Beaver Boys had a filet though, like an absurdly large filet, and a side so large it looked like it came from Ruth's Chris.

• Like 2