DVDVR Message Board

Jae's Quarantine Wrestling Extravaganza!

jaedmc

"Non-consentual" is a great way to put it. There are a bunch of WAR vs. NJPW matches from this feud that are nothing but blistering hatred. I've got most of them on an external hard drive but you can find them on Youtube if you want to sift through the long videos that are there and get to the main events. Here are a couple that I've found: 

Main event: Genichiro Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa vs. Tatsumi Fujinami & Hiroshi Hase

10/1/93: Shinya Hashimoto & Masahiro Chono vs. Ashura Hara & Genichiro Tenyru

10/11/93: Genichiro Tenyru & Ashura Hara vs. Tatsumi Fujinami & Osamu Kido

Main event: Genichiro Tenryu vs. Shinya Hashimoto. It looks like this WAR Chronicle guy has all the 1993 stuff if you look him up. I also found Tenryu vs. Chono which I don't recall ever seeing. 

• Thanks 2

I found the motherlode. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWr0-7-GexbTJPDzMPWJh_A/videos

This guy has so much WAR stuff and other stuff that it's ridiculous. And he's the guy who uploaded the tag that Jae reviewed in the first place, so it was sitting under my nose the whole time. I mean seriously, even though this is three minutes long, THIS has been sitting right there since last November?! 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

So much more great Puerto Rico went up on youtube the past couple days:

The Starr corporation vs Shane and Ricky Banderas feud is great. Shane is such a great babyface and the IWA crowd around this time is the craziest in the world

The Heartbreakers are Frankie the Thumper Lancaster and Wendell cooley in one of his last runs in wrestling. Great brawl here.

• Like 1

Looping back to Rick Martel - a week or two back I randomly decided to google some of the stars of Atlantic Grand Prix, which led me to this match which I didn't know existed:

Pretty sure Martel was officially a face for his entire AWA title run, but of course Burke was going to have the fans behind him in Halifax, and Martel wrestled accordingly.

Man, I was really excited to watch those Velveteen Dream EVOLVE matches that @(BP) posted, and I ended up not really liking either of them.

Dream/OC was really a mess.  Both guys are shtick-heavy workers who need a straight man to play off.  Dream needs someone he can fluster, but OC is, by definition, unflappable.  Conversely, OC needs someone who will be aggressive and force him to kick into high gear.  And Dream tried to be that guy, but his for-real offense is almost as light as OC’s joke offense, so it doesn’t really work.  Dream’s flying axe handles (of which he throws many in this match) connect with all the blunt force of a gently falling autumn leaf. And then it just kind of ends.

The Darby match is better, simply because the dynamic is more in Dream’s wheelhouse.  But even then, Dream really isn’t great at working on top at this point, and it really feels like Darby is working slower than his usual pace so Dream can keep up.

Really, these matches, the Darby match in particular, seem like marks against the WWE developmental system, as Dream was clearly way behind these guys in the ring, and he and Darby are pretty close in terms of experience.

Edited by EVA

33 minutes ago, EVA said:

Really, these matches, the Darby match in particular, seem like marks against the WWE developmental system, as Dream was clearly way behind these guys in the ring, and he and Darby are pretty close in terms of experience.

I liked the OC match better because I’m really high on him since I watched the PAC match, as opposed to Darby who as a character I’m not that into but think his work is fine. I’ll accept that Cassidy has a formula and that succeeds or fails based on his opponent, and Dream isn’t totally there yet.  Dream is sort of a throwback to guys who were considered workrate wrestlers by like 80s and 90s standards, but the world has moved on and expectations are higher. It hurts him that he’s lanky and looks awkward doing certain things, and also that he’s stuck working smaller guys most of the time. I’d  bet his best stuff is going to be when he’s working underneath bigger guys kicking the shit of him (which has always been my position on Roman too.) 

Oddly, the first time I saw Lio Rush was live at a House of Hardcore and he was doing a gimmick somewhere between Dream’s and Darby’s (it was like goth meets Prince by way of drug cartel boss), and he’s better in ring than both guys.

Edited by (BP)

Rick Martel vs The Natural (Don Callis) in a cage.

Held in  AWA country (well, the Canadian outpost), fired up babyface Martel shines through. An added bonus, evidence that Callis could work.

If anybody has seen Tiger King, the main lunatic Joe Exotic belief it or not was involved in wrestling he did color commentary for shows that were live streamed on his website, if you go to JoeExoticTV on YouTube and type in NWA Texoma a bunch of full shows come up.

Here’s a show from his park I’m not gonna call it a zoo but here’s a show that includes Tim Storm, Ray Rowe and Charlie Haas

The Show/Taker match linked in the Santo thread reminded me of No Mercy 2008, which has my favorite match between those two and the bad ass KO "is he out? Then raise my hand" ending. Then I kept watching and man, both HHH/Hardy and Shawn/Jericho are fantastic. Sleeper bad ass PPV there, with the rare WWE three heels (HHH in this particular match anyway) winning the three main events relatively clean (when does Vince ever do that?). And the Shawn/Jericho one was the feud ender.

2008 WWE is pretty hit or miss, but all of this ruled. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

Tom Pritchard and Dirty White Boy punch each other in the face for like 8 minutes. 

Also how come no one is stealing that loaded boot enziguri gimmick? Jericho could milk that for a year.

• Like 1