DVDVR Message Board

Jae's Quarantine Wrestling Extravaganza!

jaedmc

25 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

So why didn’t Vince ever have Ricky Stramboat as champ?

Take your pick from too small, wanted time off for paternity leave, not white enough.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 7:16 PM, AxB said:

The three-way match that WWE fans think of as a dream match that could never have possibly happened:

This is so weird to watch.  I guess this is pre-WWE Rey with the tights and contacts but no mask, post Eddie getting fired from WWE for being on drugs, and basketball shorts Punk who I never really enjoyed.  Punk is clearly trying to plan out some cool spots, but his execution is pretty terrible.  The 619 grazes Punk and barely even registers as a move (even the announcers gloss over it).  The ring looks fairly poorly put together, too, resulting in some botches on the very loose ropes and a crazy looking spot where Eddie was supposed to run into a turnbuckle but instead goes flying out of the ring.  

Am I wrong in thinking Punk had a better WWE career than indy career? 

Until I came across that match familiarizing myself with Punk when he got signed, I didn’t even know Eddie had ever been released from WWE and then returned. I had either tuned out at the time or wrote his absence off as an injury. 

On 3/21/2020 at 9:39 PM, JonnyLaw said:

I’m currently looking for a promo Regal cut shortly after first becoming Lord Steven Regal in WCW where he explains why he turned heel, and I came across his contract signing against Sting which is probably one of my favorite segments of all time. I know it’s been posted here quite a bit before, but here it is again:

THE DISRESPECT!  That backhand was beautiful.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Until I came across that match familiarizing myself with Punk when he got signed, I didn’t even know Eddie had ever been released from WWE and then returned. I had either tuned out at the time or wrote his absence off as an injury. 

There was a ROH match against Super Crazy from that time that I remember.  Good promo afterwards about how if he can't beat Super Crazy he doesn't deserve to go back to WWE.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Morganti said:

Eddie's indy run was awesome tbh.  So many neat matches putting over up and comers.  He has a match against Low Ki that was pretty good too.

Ray and I were live for that one- it was billed as Low Ki vs X and you had to hear that pop when "LATINO HEAT!" hit the PA. I'd have to rewatch it but it was fantastic at the time... you could see how much respect Ki had for Eddy as it was the lightest we'd ever seen him work against anyone.

• Like 1

Eddie vs. Super Crazy w/ post-match promo

Not the greatest, but Eddie is so goddamn good at execution that you can't stop watching him. The early exchanges are the highlight, and I think the finish was well done.

Watched the El Dandy vs. Finlay match @(BP) recommended which was fun as expected for 5 minutes.  My son watched with me and thought both guys were pretty cool, so my son doesn't have terrible taste.

Morbid Curiosity(the only curiosity, really) got me to watch KING MABEL vs. CARLOS COLON as per @Tim Evans post on the previous page.

You guys. Colon slams Mabel's head on a turnbucke. Mabel shakes his head and slams his own head into the turnbuckle multiple times to show he felt nothing. He then immedietely headbutts Colon and acts like he hurt himself. This how the match starts. I also love shit like Carlos sitting and selling, and Mabel dropping on an elbow on him. He didn't kick him back to make sure he was flat and ready to accept it.  

Also modern wrestling needs more bearhug spots.

Another three-way match that generic Wrestling fan A might not believe had ever happened; Bryan Danielson vs Tyler Black vs Kenny Omega:

Bit of a strange one to look at in 2020, as it's booked as Ace (Danielson) vs Proven Veteran (Rollins) vs Up and coming hungry guy who wants to prove he can hang at the top level (Omega). Now Omega and Rollins are booked as Aces and Bryan is in the proven vet spot.

• Like 1

I started to watch the Punk/Rey/Eddie triple threat and I couldn't get out of the introductions.

I think I discovered that I'm kinda not interested in watching CM Punk wrestle ever again. I can't remember the last time I was like "man I want to watch a Punk match." Probably not since he stopped wrestling. And I don't think I even really wanted to then. He was just on and didn't make me want to change the channel.

Which is weird - because I've never hated him, and enjoyed plenty of his matches - but as soon as I saw him I just went "ahhh what a phoney he shouldn't be there." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I've never hated him, and enjoyed plenty of his matches - but as soon as I saw him I just went "ahhh what a phoney he shouldn't be there." 

I hate to say this because I've only watched his WWE stuff, but I always kinda felt that way. Good on the mic, good heel, but kinda like Raven. Not to disparage Raven. 

Anyone who has great CM Punk matches because of CM Punk, show 'em.

EDIT: You know I thought about it, and I think I get it. He is a Raven style character, where he doesn't have to get anything done in the ring and when he does it's just fine, it's just that his character is so fucking unlikable. He's such a dick that it bleeds through his character and makes you feel X-Pac Heat. Sorry Phil if you're reading this, but... yeah. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Punk's one of those guys that is HUGELY influential on the modern style - but not in a good way. What I mean by that is he's constantly hitting offense that someone his size, frame, and character shouldn't be hitting. He wants to wrestle like one of the all-time greats, but I don't believe him. His work is just not convincing. The Lesnar feud is probably the best example I can think of. He's also one of the godfathers of "let's make every match a five star match," and as a result, none of his matches have ever felt all that special to me - outside of Cena at MITB, which I felt was special due to the storylines, not the ringwork itself.

I personally thought Punk was on fire in 2012-2013 (well... the first half of 2013 maybe). When they finally let him run wild with his title reign and not be hampered by Kevin Nash, Alberto Del Rio, Triple H, etc. it was game on. But that's just me, obviously. The two Rock matches, the Cena match from that episode of RAW, his little series with Daniel Bryan during the AJ Lee storyline, Chris Jericho feud (the matches, not the feud itself)... I honestly think he was the last one to get a good match out of The Undertaker, too.

I think my favorite CM Punk match in WWE might be the Cena match on RAW, or the first Rock match.

But, I'll be the first to admit... most of those matches aren't one-sided affairs where Punk is carrying someone through the match. It's either a group effort, or the other guy is just so undeniably good that you'd have to REALLY suck as a wrestler to have a bad match with them.

Edited by Casey

Straight Edge Society Chicken Shit CM Punk was the most entertaining for me. That shit clicked. I'm probably more excited to watch him in Girl on the Third Floor than anything he could do wrestling related tho.

Because I've developed a weird fascination with Boris Zhukov, I decided to find his pre-wwf shit to see what he was like in the AWA. This is the first chunk of his title feud with babyface champion Rick Martel(who I'm a huge fan of)

There's at least 3 matches on youtube. One from August(this one), a rematch in September, and then the CAGE MATCH in November. So with that in mind, it's clear that this is going to be a set-up match to get the feud hot.

The tracking kicks in when the match starts, so don't get discouraged by the warping.

This is actually great character storytelling. Martel starts the match punching Zhukov in the head. It hurts his hand. He then elbows him in the head and hurts his elbow. He then decides to CHEAT and rake Zhukov's eyes, which gets a pop from the crowd. He then proceeds to work like a heel(the eye rake, closed fists, choking Zhukov on the middle rope) and fans eat it up ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

Zhukov comes back with a little help from a steel post, and then proceeds to SKULL FUCK Rick Martel's shoulder. It's great. Martel established that Zhukov's cranium is dangerous at the start, so you buy the idea that Zhukov could possibly headbutt Martel's arm out of its socket. 

The finish is kinda perfect for the setup. Zhukov's manager tosses in some Brass Knucks and Martel manages to get them. We already established that Martel doesn't give a fuck about the rules, and he decks Zhukov for a DQ Loss. 

The aftermath is hilariously dumb though. Martel and the commentary team think that Zhukov should have been DQ'd because he didn't bring the gimmick in, he was just using them. Whatever. I still want to watch them fight again.

Keep an eye out for Martel's slingshot Body Press and how he eats those knees chest first. That's my kinda highspot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I was a kid I had a bunch of old (even then) wrestling magazines, and the thematic undercurrent was teasing heel turns that usually never happened. One of those had a cover story about Martel possibly dumping “scientific” wrestling for heel tactics. I wonder if it was from this period. I’m a sentimental pack rat, so I know I have it somewhere; I’ll have to look for it. Definitely wish the term scientific wrestling was brought back. 

This doubles back to the Sheepherders discussion in another thread, but there were a lot of guys who hit their best possible ceiling from a notoriety and financial standpoint under Vince, but Martel may be one of the only guys where it’s hard to argue he wasn’t misused. He could still go long after he’d been lumped in with the territory vets happy to be making boom period money. 

I know the accent hurt him in Vince’s eyes, but on his worst day he was still more intelligible than Warrior. 

• Like 1

I don't know what Vince saw in him as a heel. He was still good in the role, but as a face he could have probably made more money. He would have been probably stuck in that Steamboat position though, the guy that looked great and could work his ass off but was beholden to a certain spot on the card. 

I could go on and on about Martel. I'm always recommending his shit. Ridiculous motor. Could bump his ass off. Effective as a heel or face. To me he's the perfect wrestler in terms of always having value. Whatever you need he can do it. And what a career arc. It's all quality. Young Babyface Champion. Strike Force. The Model. Veteran Babyface in WCW. 

Before I get to the rest of the Zhukov feud:

Watch him start this fucking match off with a killer leap frog, drop kick drop kick. And if you love that Martel FIRE, stick around for that HOT tag. Him slugging it out with Anvil looked so cool. Not a great match, particularly as far as title matches go, but worth a look if you're vibing Martel right now.

• Like 2

I watched these today. Admittedly not really familiar with Evolve, but I found these interesting since it’s Dream facing off against a couple of guys shortly before they went all in. 

I guess I should’ve figured WWE was sending people there to work these shows, but it never occurred to me. It’s always fun watching stuff like this or when Cena would wrestle at a developmental show at like a Six Flags. It’s about as close as you’ll get now to watching national or international stars travel to a territory. 

I watched Dream/Cassidy because I’ve watched PAC/Cassidy all the way through twice and I’m really high on Freshly Squeezed. He’s a comedy character, but he’s also kind of the perfect personality  for our times. He refuses to be an anxious millennial, cowboy or otherwise, and he’ll be damned if you’ll catch him trying, because if he’s subversively ridiculing the act of trying, he can’t fail. However, like a lot of us, behind a facade of detachment in the face of a world out of our control, he really cares. So, when he sees an opportunity to win he comes alive and has these incredibly hot finishing stretches where the joke’s over, and maybe he’s not too cool for school after all.

Anyway, I haven’t been watching NXT in a while, and even though this is from last year before Dream’s injury, he looks much more polished than he did when I last saw him. I’ve always liked him, but for a while  his charisma and presence were still covering for him being relatively green. The crowd is fairly split, but Dream does his best to heel once he sees that Cassidy is really over. 

A good bit of this is comedy stuff, but not slow motion moves or thumbs up the butt spots; the humor is based on character work and the inherent logic of the personalities in the ring. The story is simple: Dream gets annoyed that the crowd is responding well to OC and he’s not the only charismatic weirdo in the ring. Then we get him taking most of the match before underestimating Cassidy and nearly losing when OC gets his fiery comeback. It’s just like the PAC match in that Dream gives him the perfect amount of the match. Sorry for a huge write up, but it’s whats in my heart. 

Darby/Dream is similarly structured, with Dream trying to get heat by doing WWE company man schtick, but ultimately failing to get the crowd to turn on him. This is the first time I’ve seen Darby work; he’s been selling the throat injury on all of the Dynamites I’ve watched. Even in a world full of light heavyweights go-going all over the place, Darby is, as they say, quicker n’ a hiccup. Per the Punk criticism, he’s also a smaller dude with a natty aesthetic, but he’s working as such. He’s not trying a bunch of power moves on Dream. As a hard gainer, I always root for dudes built like him and Guevara.

They protect both guys, and Theory ultimately costs Darby the match, but he gets two visible wins over Dream first before falling to the Purple Rainmaker.

Overall, it’s just fun to see Dream in a different setting, working guys who are now on television and really over in another promotion.

@(BP) I keep getting recommended that Velveteen Dream/Darby match on youtube. I'm curious, but I'm just not that into Darby.

Had to watch the Chosu/Hashimoto vs. Tenryu/Ishikawa tag that @Curt McGirt recommended. Love love love Tenryu. Hashimoto is one of those guys that any time I see him I get excited by his aura, but I really don't have a real contextual grasp of his body of work.

Everyone should hit that shit up. This match has an element that you just don't see often in American wrestling - it looks non-consensual.  Like some of the most hardcore of the hardcore American shit is "okay I'll take the thumbtacks and you take the table spot." But this match looks like four guys who don't want to back down and are constantly trying to get extra shots in. Those moments that look uncooperative create this atmosphere that is the fucking best. Like any minute Tenryu is going to throw one toe kick to the face too many and someone is going to GO OFF.

You know who drops a good suplex? CHOSHU FUCKING RIKI. He dumps Ishikawa about 10 minutes in and it feels bone shaking. And he doesn't even do anything special. He just kinda holds it for a brief moment and TIMBER. But the camera was right there and there's like no bounce, and it just looks like it felt like shit to take.

Tenryu is a god. There is no one better about being a grumpy shit. No one ever.

I love Hashimoto in the beginning deciding "Fuck this ground grappling shit let's stand up and kick." And lord is the crowd electric for him.

Good times good times. 

• Like 3