DVDVR Message Board

2020 - 2021 NCAA BASKETBALL THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

On 5/19/2020 at 1:09 PM, RIPPA said:

I know this is really old news from what's now an entirely different planet. But SFA has been my favorite mid-major team for a few years now. They have one hell of a program. They run up sick records because they have a hard time playing big boys and the Southland sucks. But no matter who coaches them, they've always play a really entertaining style. They use a lot of "spread" offense where the big and two wings line up parallel to the free throw line while the guards are just over half-court. Then the intricate sets and the like run off of that. It's a really interesting and wild system.

Their defense has always been a pressure team, too. They lit up West Virginia in the tournament that one year (Thomas Walkup was insanely entertaining) and beat "Press Virginia" at their own game. They also scalped VCU with a crazy late 4-point play another year and out-Havoc'd them another year.

They also famously beat Duke this past season. People called it "the biggest upset ever" since Duke never loses OOC games at home and because of the point spread. But anyone who has followed college hoops knows that the spread was way off. Duke certainly COULD whip SFA by 25 or whatever... but SFA was also really likely to at least play them tight. SFA was primed this year to go on a big tournament run since they were mid-major loaded. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Teams are starting to create little mini "weekends" so teams can get a couple of games against non-conference opponents

Example

Reminds me of those "holiday tournaments" teams would hold with 2-3 cupcake schools before the NCAA changed their rules.

Or you can be Louisville

Louisville announced its multiteam men's basketball event Tuesday, finalizing what will likely be the biggest university-run nonconference event during the 2020-21 college basketball season.

In addition to the Cardinals, the Wade Houston Tipoff Classic will feature Seton Hall, Western Kentucky, UNC Greensboro, Winthrop, Arkansas-Little Rock, Duquesne, Southern Illinois and Prairie View A&M. The nine teams will play 18 games over a 10-day stretch from Nov. 25 to Dec. 4.

Western Kentucky (Conference USA), UNC Greensboro (Southern Conference), Winthrop (Big South) and Little Rock (Sun Belt) are all favorites in their respective conferences, while Prairie View won the SWAC last season. Louisville and Seton Hall are potential NCAA tournament teams once again.

The schedule is highlighted by Louisville vs. Seton Hall on Friday, Nov. 27.

All nine teams will stay at the Galt House Hotel, which is connected to the KFC Yum! Center by an elevated walkway. There will also be a full court and weight room installed at the hotel during the event, meaning teams won't have to leave the venues unless they take a bus to Louisville's practice facility. All meals will be eaten at the hotel.

The school said the event will follow health protocols established by the ACC.

Wondering how smaller conferences are gonna handle the season? Here is one example from the Patriot League (obviously I discovered this because of American)

(The PA teams means the Central)

On 7/9/2020 at 2:18 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

As said in the CFB thread, the Ivy League has cancelled all fall sports.  In the statement, they say no sports before 1/1/21, which obviously cuts about a month or two out of CBB.  

So, that's something everyone should keep their eyes on.  

The other shoe drops 4 months later.  

The Ivy League has cancelled the 2020-21 basketball season.  (It's also cancelled all winter sports including hockey.)   

Feels pretty obscene that conferences are going to try to start playing indoor sports in the next couple of weeks.  Anybody ghoulish enough to have fans in the arena?

Also, Gregg Marshall is reportedly going to get fired at WSU before the season starts.  Hope the door hits him in the ass on the way out.

17 hours ago, supremebve said:

NCAA... we can't pay the players,  but if the coach abuses the players he gets paid millions of dollars to go away. 

NCAA to players: "Fuck you."
NCAA to coaches: "Fuck you money."

2 hours ago, Pete said:

NCAA to players: "Fuck you."
NCAA to coaches: "Fuck you money."

That motherfucker got fired for punching one player and body slamming another,  and they had to pay him to leave. And I have to say,  no athlete above the high school level should ever be physically intimidated by a coach... you can and should beat the fuck out of him. Where is Percy Harvin at? He should start some sort of freshman symposium. 

Just based on what is happening with West Virginia, you can tell this is going to a rocky start for a number of teams.  They are supposed to start next week in a tournament in South Dakota of all places.  Not sure that is the state I want to begin my year but not sure how much choice the team had.  They would supposed to play Texas A&M in the opener.  They pulled out of the tournament.  Now they are playing Northern Iowa I think.   Meanwhile the 2 home games they had planned in November and December are postponed.

Oh the fun is beginning already

Florida withdrew from the tournament it was supposed to play in this weekend due to multiple COVID positive tests.

Arizona State withdrew from the Empire Classic because Baylor HC Scott Drew tested positive but Baylor was still planning on participating (AZ State was supposed to play Baylor on Wednesday)

HOWEVER - Arizona State is still traveling to the Mohegan Sun because both tournaments are taking place there and the rumor mill is saying AZ State will replace Florida.