DVDVR Message Board

NXT - SPRING 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Edwin
21 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

He's much more than the air guitar gimmick.

That's just YouTube content and not what he does at the tapings or live events. Whenever he's at tapings or at live events, he's just doing the air guitar gimmick that gets tiresome fast.

SPOILERS for a match on next week's NXT TV plus the image has turned out big on my Dad's laptop:

riddlethatchercagefight.jpeg

Already looking forward to that after their match a fortnight ago on NXT TV. You can only win by KO or submission.

Edited by The Natural

Guest Edwin
9 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Look ok, he shouldn't be doing the air guitar gimmick - that's the point of posting the videos basically.

Look ok, I get that, but look ok, he got over big time with it and he seemed to have fun with it, so look ok, that is what will most likely happen.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

SPOILERS for a match on next week's NXT TV plus the image has turned out big on my Dad's laptop:

Hide contents

Already looking forward to that after their match a fortnight ago on NXT TV. You can only win by KO or submission.

This should be incredible. I was hoping they would hold this off until TakeOver, but I am still stoked for it.

We need 1-2 and Riddle vs. Imperium and Thatcher.

Edited by Edwin

7 hours ago, Edwin said:

This should be incredible. I was hoping they would hold this off until TakeOver, but I am still stoked for it.

We need 1-2 and Riddle vs. Imperium and Thatcher.

I was hoping it would be saved for NXT TakeOver: In Your House. I also like to see that match you brought up.

Rhea Ripley did an interview with Flash Morgan Webster where she revealed that she originally wasn't booked to win the NXT Women's strap at the December show. Booking was changed at the last minute to have her go over.  (No word on when, or if, Shayna would have dropped the belt, if they hadn't changed the plan.)

Charlotte challenging the NXT Champ at WrestleMania was apparently the plan all along though.

On 5/24/2020 at 10:20 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Rhea Ripley did an interview with Flash Morgan Webster where she revealed that she originally wasn't booked to win the NXT Women's strap at the December show. Booking was changed at the last minute to have her go over.  (No word on when, or if, Shayna would have dropped the belt, if they hadn't changed the plan.)

Charlotte challenging the NXT Champ at WrestleMania was apparently the plan all along though.

This is really interesting. I'm not sure if it's better for Rhea than it is ominous for Shayna, but I'm leaning to the former - having Shayna stay NXT Women's champion only to lose to Charlotte (on the spiritual heels of Asuka's streak) would probably have done the totality of the NXT Women's division fewer favors than where we're at now.

In terms of match quality, how do we think Shayna/Charlotte would have compared to Rhea/Charlotte?

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 6:35 PM, The Natural said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not long to go now!

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up on NXT since I haven't watched since Mania...March 23

I kind of forgot Aaliyah still works there, and I'm kind of surprised she survived the cuts.  She's been there for a long ass time and has made zero impact.  Good to see IO back though (I wonder what is going to happen with her).

Austin Theory looks like someone who could get hit by a bus and everyone would kind of agree that he had it coming.  Seriously, he has huge potential as a heel, based purely on that look on his face.

I like Cameron Grimes, I'm also scared he's going to blow out his knees every time he hits his finisher.  

I don't need to see Keith Lee wrestle Donovan Dijokovic or "The Archer of Infamy" (what the fuck does that even mean?) again for at least 2 years.

Matt Riddle vs. Roddy Strong should be a main event program.  

If the new team that shows up is completely anonymous, and one of them is struggling to complete an Irish whip, it kind of sounds ridiculous when you refer to them as superstars.

April 1st

Velveteen Dream vs. Bobby Fish is the kind of match that shows how great this roster they have in NXT. This is also the problem I have with the main event of this episode.  They have a roster full of talented guys, but instead of giving guys like Lee, Dijokovic, or Priest individual programs, they just decided the three of them should wrestle each other 4576465165165 times.

Malcolm Bivins' new team is giving me a serious case of beard envy.

Dexter Lumis' character is, "dude who doesn't blink."  As someone who my eye doctor scientifically called a "non-blinker," I have to say I'm going to need more.  Seriously, I go so long without blinking sometimes my eyes go blurry and that's not something you want to happen in a fight.

Sam Roberts is making me want to turn this shit off.  

This gauntlet match has made one thing very clear, they really need to flesh out a lot of these characters.  I didn't realize it until Dakota Kai came out and I thought to myself, she went from bubbly babyface, to scared babyface, to comeback kid, to vicious heel, to cowardly heel and she's the only one in this match who we've ever been given a reason to care about.  

Oh yeah, Kushida is in NXT...completely forgot about that.  Joaquin Wilde seems like a generic create-a-wrestler.  

After seeing that Gargano and Ciampa have literally been feuding for 3 years, I'm beginning to believe that NXT isn't all that creative.

Speaking of, let's watch Damien Priest, Dominic Dijokovic, and Keith Lee wrestle again.  I generally like all of these matches, but honestly don't they have anyone else for any of these guys to wrestle?

Umm...and did they purposely give Keith Lee a finisher with the initials BBC?  Please tell me this is a funny coincidence.  

April 8

I have to say, that NXT's women division is pretty stacked.  This ladder match is missing Bianca Belair, Rhea Ripley, and Shayna Baszler who have pretty much carried the division for over a year and it doesn't feel like I'm watching the job squad.  I could have seen Shirai, Nox, Kai, or LeRae winning this and Mia Yim would have been a surprise but not unrealistic.

These are the friendliest kidnappers ever.

I can't tell you how happy I am that Malcolm Bivins has debuted.  He's fucking phenomenal.

Umm...what is up with Ever Rise's corner pose?  That was umm...different.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they are going for with this Gargano and Ciampa match, but it bet not last for the rest of the 26 minutes left until the end of this episode.  

This is melodramatic bullshit...and it ends with a man's wife kicking both combatants in the dick.  Who on earth came up with this shit?

33 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This ladder match is missing Bianca Belair, Rhea Ripley, and Shayna Baszler who have pretty much carried the division for over a year and it doesn't feel like I'm watching the job squad.  I could have seen Shirai, Nox, Kai, or LeRae winning this and Mia Yim would have been a surprise but not unrealistic.

Rhipley actually came in more at the end of it like Nox, and a returning Kai. Before then it was Shayna, Bianca, Io, Mia, & Candice carrying the division.

Edited by Eivion

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Rhipley actually came in more at the end of it like Nox, and a returning Kai. Before then it was Shayna, Bianca, Io, Mia, & Candice carrying the division.

No doubt, but I was more talking about how Ripley, Baszler, and Belair feeling like the tip top of the division (with Shirai) and everyone else was just everyone else.  Now it feels like they have a whole division of women who could challenge for the title and not feel out of place.  The crazy thing is they had the tournament with a bunch of other women who get pretty consistent television time, but didn't make the match.  I can't think of the last time they actually built a roster of wrestlers this well, I'm not sure if they ever have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

No doubt, but I was more talking about how Ripley, Baszler, and Belair feeling like the tip top of the division (with Shirai) and everyone else was just everyone else.  Now it feels like they have a whole division of women who could challenge for the title and not feel out of place.  The crazy thing is they had the tournament with a bunch of other women who get pretty consistent television time, but didn't make the match.  I can't think of the last time they actually built a roster of wrestlers this well, I'm not sure if they ever have.

Whats amazing to me is this change more or less came about with the build for War Games. Something about the build to that, the execution of the match itself, and how they followed up in the months after really gave the division a new life.