DVDVR Message Board

NXT - SPRING 2020

Dolfan in NYC

On 6/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, Eivion said:

Whats amazing to me is this change more or less came about with the build for War Games. Something about the build to that, the execution of the match itself, and how they followed up in the months after really gave the division a new life.

This is relevant to the April 15th episode so I'm going to weave this into my review.

As @Eivion stated above, the reason the women's division is the highlight of this show is that they not only built a division full of women, but they've kept the momentum going by putting them in relevant feuds and making them feel like real threats.  They have at least 5 women who you could put in a championship feud right now and they'd feel like they've earned it.  On the other hand, it doesn't feel like any of the men are even working towards the same goal.  Gargano and Ciampa have been feuding for so long that they almost feel like they're on a different show.  Adam Cole and and the rest of the Undisputed Era are feuding with Velveteen Dream.  Lee, Dijokovic, Priest only wrestle each other.  Balor seems to be focused on going after the UK title.  Matt Riddle is kind of the entire tag division by himself.  After these feuds are over, does anyone else on the entire roster feel like they are in line for a title shot?  Does it feel like any of these people are elevating themselves past their current role?  The women's division seems like the roster is fighting for their spot within the division.  The men's division seems like a bunch of dudes fighting over a bunch of different things (which is true, by the way), but it feels disjointed and unfocused by comparison.

Balor vs. Aichner was fun, but the virus pretty much killed this feud dead.  I'd like to see Aichner and Barthel get a bigger push while stranded stateside, because those dudes are really good. 

Aliya vs. Xia Li was aight, but I think Aliyah is the worst person on the NXT roster.  I think Xia Li has potential to be something, but she's going to have to step it up to get noticed.

Swerve vs. Tozawa was good, but there was a pretty bad botch where Swerve completely missed on a hurricarana.  This tournament should be fun, and if done right could help this dead division get going.  I have absolutely no faith that it will happen, but as we've talked about with the War Games match in the women's division, this could be an opportunity to build this division.  We'll see.

Tegan Nox vs. Raquel Gonzalez was exactly what it should have been.  Gonzalez is massive compared to most of the women on the roster, and she just beat the hell out of Nox.  Blackheart running in adds another woman to the roster of women who deserve the audiences attention.  It really feels like this is the only part of the roster that they care about building.

Keith Lee seems like the most likeable guy on the entire roster.  With that said, they need to actually give him some character moments to take him to the next level.  As of now, his character is big guy who is really good...which is fine, but right now his character is more limited than limitless.

Dexter Lumis is a new character that I'm intrigued by, but I have a feeling that he's going to be another Cameron Grimes type who is a guy who wrestles on the show, but never seems to be in a feud.

Adam Cole and Velveteen Dream talk back and forth from miles away...not really feeling this feud.  The Balor interruption is kind of a cool little wrinkle though.  If I am booking this show, Velveteen goes over, talks about vanquishing the greatest champion ever, Balor takes offense and we have a fresh Main Event program.  Cole, and the entire NXT title picture seems like it reached its peak 6 months ago, and needs to be freshened up.  Cole can eat a loss and go onto something new, and Dream and Balor are both good enough to carry the brand for the next few months.  

The tag title match was as good as I expected.  Thatcher is someone I know next to nothing about, but they put him in a team with a guy  I care about, in a match against guys I care about, so now I care about him.  Meanwhile Dexter Lumis is looking on asking, "why does he get a feud, while I'm beating up random bums every week?"

Ciampa wraps up his feud with Gargano (I hope) and gets attacked by a mystery man.  Let's see where this goes.

Oh, I almost forgot.  Malcolm Bivins starting his promo with, "In the words of the legendary Johnny Gill," absolutely killed me.

Edited by supremebve
  • Like 1

April 22

Balor is out of the main event tonight, but this is a match and a feud that they can save.  Velveteen gets jumped by UE and gets saved by Keith Lee.  Lee coming to the rescue is the exact type of thing the men's division needs to stop making it feel like every feud is taking place on an island.  

We get a follow up to the Nox/Blackheart vs. Kai/Gonzalez feud.  The match starts with Blackheart getting a load of offense in on Gonzalez, so we're forced to take her seriously.  Then she eats the pin, from a massive one armed powerbomb from Gonzalez.  Great work to get the underdog over as a threat and the monster over as a monster.  

Jake Atlas vs. Drake Maverick.  I'm never going to be onboard with the company that fires someone profiting on the fact that the dude who got fired is crying about it.  Another thing I'm never going to appreciate, telling the story about a trainer intentionally injuring his student to see if he really wants it.  Isn't it ironic that Keith Lee's story last week didn't have that little tidbit, it's almost if the trainer picks on 145 lb. Drake Maverick and not 300 lb. Keith lee.  I wonder why?  This match was a decent showcase for both guys.  That cartwheel DDT looks fucking vicious.  

This Damien Priest promo feels like foreshadowing.

Kushida has been in NXT for over a year, hasn't been given anything worthwhile to do the entire time.  This is my favorite match of the tournament so far.  I generally like both of these guys, and they both brought it here.  

Timothy Thatcher is a terrible promo.  I've seen forests less wooden than his delivery.

Gargano and Ciampa are supposed to be done wrestling each other, I wish they were done talking about each other.  Candice's chicken looks seasoned, how bout that.  I've found a nitpick about the NXT women's division...is there a reason that every woman needs to have a different unnatural hair color?  It seems unique in fun when one woman has a crazy hair color, but it's just weird when everyone has a crazy hair color.  

More exploitation of a man they just fired.  

Mia Yim vs. Jessie Kamea.  I kind of like that they are giving the jobbers entrances.  All of these people in the performance center are supposed to be training to make it to the big time, and giving these trainees entrances make them feel like someone we might want to pay attention to in the future.  

Jack Gallagher has a big ass chest tattoo now?  I really haven't watched enough 205 Live.  

Chelsea Green's character would work a lot better if she was 5% worse looking.  If she was someone trying to convince you that she was incredibly attractive instead of being really attractive.  I also have questions about a pool lounge that leaves your butt submerged, but the rest of your body dry.  Who designed that shit?  What is their marketing slogan, "For that wet butt feeling that you've always wanted?"

El Hijo de Fantasmo has a pretty dope logo, it's one of those little presentation things that make someone look like they matter.  On the other hand, I have no idea what is going on with Gallagher.  He was one of the few cruiserweights that felt like they had a character in the early days of the division.  He went from proper English gentleman to...deckhand on a Victorian era whaling vessel?  What the fuck is he supposed to be?  WWE has so little imagination that they make people who can't speak English cut promos.  

Once again the too gentle kidnappers show up, and Fantasmo is able to evade them by taking off his shirt.  Seriously, he's the first person who's tried to get away, and they just decided to leave.  They don't feel like a threat at all.

Damien Priest runs in with in the first 5 minutes of the match to attack Keith Lee and the foreshadowing pays off.  Dexter Lumis just decides he's part of the match and has a pretty dope hot tag, despite the fact that he almost jumped completely over Adam Cole on a Thesz Press.  I honestly think they should do the revers Buddy Rose with Adam Cole, and start announcing him as even more obviously incorrect weights.  Next week he should be 285, by the time of the next takeover he should be 350.

April 29

Remember when I said that El Hijo de Fantasma(I had to look up why it is fantasma, instead of fantasmo and apparently fantasma is a masculine noun despite it ending in a.  Who knew?) up ad a dope logo?  Swerve Scott's logo looks like it should have a Brazzers watermark, and that's not a compliment.  Swerve Scott is missing something as a worker, there is no connective tissue to his work.  Does anyone remember the basketball player Josh Smith?  He was a really good athlete and played 13 years in the league, but he wasn't actually good at anything.  That is who Swerve Scott reminds me of, he needs to be given every opportunity to put it all together, but I don't know if he's good at anything.  

Dijakovic calling out Gargano for claiming to be held down while being in 561895156156468513265 takeovers is exactly what both of them need.  

These kidnappers need to look into getting a job, at this rate they're just going to end up doing a long time in prison.

I was watching an NXT Takeover with some friends a while back and my friend's wife looked at Candice LeRay and said, "I can't stand her and her stupid wholesome face."  I know she's a heel know, but when she came to the ring that is the first thought that crossed my mind.  She's just looks too friendly.  With that said, she worked a much more hard hitting style, and by the end of the match I was willing to give her heel character a chance.

Damien Priest doesn't make sense to me as a character.

Riddle and Thatcher were a tag team on the newly-bros show.  Imperium's run-in was about 5 minutes too late.  The segment was amusing, but went too long.

Charlotte knows exactly how to carry herself as a character.  She's truly a fantastic wrestler.  Mia Yim is the biggest benefactor on the way this division has been built.  She's a pretty good worker, an ok character, but she's booked like someone who is a threat to any woman in the world.  So you put her in the ring with Charlotte and she doesn't seem out of place.  

Hey, Dexter Lumis is back.  I kind of feel bad for Shane Thorne, he was part of a tag team that was getting over, injuries hit, his partner left, and now he's an NXT jobber.  

Keith Lee give a promo about being hit in the layrenex, whatever that is.  I know what a larynx is, but layrenex was last heard in the Biggie verse on Dolly My Baby.  

They continue to exploit Drake Maverick's pain.  Tony Nese decides that his emotional pain isn't nearly enough and decides to beat the hell out of him.  This is painfully uncomfortable.  They fired this dude and then built a storyline about him crying about it, what the fuck is wrong with these people.  That's not a heartwarming story no matter how this plays out.  Are they trying to tell us that if you get fired you need to cry for a paycheck?  Are they saying the numerous other people maybe could have come back if they just come back crying?  Fuck these people.

Lee vs. Priest version 68416516841561856152.0.  Now that I'm thinking about it, these two haven't had nearly that many matches, but between Lee and Dijokovic, Dijokovic and Priest, and multi-man matches between the three of them, this shit is already stale.  The match wasn't bad, but I need these guys to be away from each other for at least 6 months.  Keith Lee needs some character progression as well, him saying "I am limitless," made me roll my eyes.  It honestly feels like the entire male side of this show is spinning its tires, and it's felt like that for a decent amount of time.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

On the other hand, I have no idea what is going on with Gallagher.  He was one of the few cruiserweights that felt like they had a character in the early days of the division.  He went from proper English gentleman to...deckhand on a Victorian era whaling vessel? 

He went from a gentleman to dastardly asshole initially when he turned heel a couple of years ago. Not sure what the hell happened this past year or so with the new tattoo and look. Those are sadly very likely more on him.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I honestly think they should do the revers Buddy Rose with Adam Cole, and start announcing him as even more obviously incorrect weights.  Next week he should be 285, by the time of the next takeover he should be 350.

So what they did with the Hollys when they were super heavyweights?

38 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Hey, Dexter Lumis is back.  I kind of feel bad for Shane Thorne, he was part of a tag team that was getting over, injuries hit, his partner left, and now he's an NXT jobber.  

What is weird with Thorne is that were building a new tag team on Raw with him and another former TMDK member, Brendan Vink, only to stop doing anything with them randomly. It even looked like MVP was going to manage them.

I wonder if they're still doing the thing where they don't announce injuries for NXT folks. I can't think of a reason why Vink and Thorne aren't on TV that isn't Main Event. But then again Ricochet is on Main Event.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 10:36 AM, supremebve said:

On the other hand, I have no idea what is going on with Gallagher.  He was one of the few cruiserweights that felt like they had a character in the early days of the division.  He went from proper English gentleman to...deckhand on a Victorian era whaling vessel?  What the fuck is he supposed to be?

I'm thinking he maybe a huge Taboo (Tom Hardy joint) fan.

May 6

Johnny Gargano's existence on the NXT roster completely and totally buries the cruiserweight divisions existence on the NXT roster.  If Gargano can compete with Dominick Dijokovic, why is there a division for wrestlers under 205 lbs?  That is before we even get to the fact that Adam Cole is the champion.  That title doesn't mean anything if Johnny Gargano, Tomasso Ciampa, and Adam Cole don't want it.  The people in the tournament don't mean anything if they aren't trying to compete with guys like Johnny Gargano, Tomasso Ciampa, and Adam Cole.  The Undisputed Era's goal is to have all the gold, all 4 can compete in this tournament, somehow it never came up.  Seriously, if they were trying to get this tournament over, couldn't they put Roderick Strong in it, and have the someone the audience cares about going after the title?  

Sweet, Imperium is challenging for the tag belts.

I really like Tozawa's entrance theme.  Tozawa i s exactly the type of person who could get over if they didn't insist on everyone on television being able to cut a promo.  Tozawa's English has improved dramatically, but they're asking him to do something native English speakers have a lot of trouble with.  

Xia Li vs. Chelsea Green was not much of a match, but it just highlights everything right about the women's division, espeically when there is more character development in that match than anyone in the entire cruiserweight tournament has had over their entire WWE  career.  Seriously, Xia Li and Aaliyah are as far from a title shot as anyone on the entire roster, but there is a reason for us to be invested in them.

I don't know if Karrion Kross is going to get over, but I guarantee you that Scarlet will.  

Flair vs. Shirai was everything it needed to be.  Io looks like a huge threat, Charlotte is now a huge heel, and Ripley is clearly the next woman in line.

Kushida vs. Jake Atlas was fun while it lasted.  Kushida is doomed, there is no way anyone is taking the dude with a watch drawn on his wrist tape is going to be taken seriously.  Is Alex Shelley signed, or was he just there for the Dusty Classic run?

Finn Balor, also a cruiserweight with no interest in that belt, cuts a promo agains somebody...He needs some direction.

Speaking of needing direction, Cameron Grimes is  here...for all of 45 seconds.

OK, the segment between Balor and Grimes killed Grimes dead.  Grimes has to slap him, there is no other choice, and they chose for him not to slap him.  Seriously, if Grimes slaps him at least he's not a bitch.

Cole vs. Dream was a little sloppy considering who was in the match.  The Dexter Lumis appearance was fucking outstanding, but this was a decent preview for their takeover match.

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

I really like Tozawa's entrance theme.  Tozawa i s exactly the type of person who could get over if they didn't insist on everyone on television being able to cut a promo.  Tozawa's English has improved dramatically, but they're asking him to do something native English speakers have a lot of trouble with.  

Tozawa is actually fluent in English to a level none of the other Japanese talent are. He can do promos fine. He has also been quite over before. The only reason he isn't a bigger deal really is just shit booking that doesn't treat him better.

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Tozawa is actually fluent in English to a level none of the other Japanese talent are. He can do promos fine. He has also been quite over before. The only reason he isn't a bigger deal really is just shit booking that doesn't treat him better.

I'm not saying he should never talk, but that is never going to be his strength as a performer.  There is a way to make Tozawa someone you want to watch, but it won't be as a promo.  Speaking of, I do not watch Raw but why does he have a squad on ninjas?

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm not saying he should never talk, but that is never going to be his strength as a performer.  There is a way to make Tozawa someone you want to watch, but it won't be as a promo.  Speaking of, I do not watch Raw but why does he have a squad on ninjas?

I have no idea. It is completely random and kind of dumb. That said, Tozawa kind of carries it well enogh, especially with his ridiculous grin.

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I have no idea. It is completely random and kind of dumb. That said, Tozawa kind of carries it well enogh, especially with his ridiculous grin.

This is kind of my point.  Tozawa has as much physical charisma as anyone on the roster.  He got that stupid heavy breathing thing over when there was literally nothing else to his character.  There is no need for him to be forced to cut post match promos just because he can speak English.  His physical charisma is a 10, his promo ability is a 4 or 5.  I honestly prefer Asuka or Io Shirai as promos despite being worse English speakers, because they actually cut promos in character.  Tozawa works like a charismatic dynamo, he talks like some random Japanese ex-pat who works in an office.

May 13th

Riddle and Thatcher vs. Imperium is a hell of an opener to be able to put on your weekly TV show.  Say what you want about how stale NXT has become, but this is a fantastic roster.  As I'm typing that, a graphic pops up saying, "DX is here."  Why?  I need a Venn diagram that shows the overlap of people who watch NXT weekly and people who give a rat's ass about DX in 2020.  

Teegan Nox vs. Indi Hartwell.  Hartwell gets an entrance, and quite a bit of offense to start.  I have to say, nothing makes me want to root for Nox less than her "Lady Kane" nickname.  

Rhea Ripley cuts a short, but really effective promo.  

Thatcher casually grabbing a TV to hit Matt Riddle is the best thing he's done since he's been on the roster.

Have they brought up the fact that Jake Atlas is gay, or do they just have him wear Liberace's jacket and hope we get the subtext?  I actually like the fact that they didn't force his sexuality into his character, but I couldn't pass up the Liberace joke.  Nevermind, they call his finisher a Rainbow DDT...subtlety is not their strong suit.  Tony Nese has something, but they need to figure out how to pull it out of him.  I think he needs to stop all high flying stuff and just be the powerhouse of the division.  

The Undisputed Era's zoom call was perfectly douchey.  We get Roddy vs. Lumis, so that's something.

They have put a lot of time, effort, and imagination into these Karrion Kross and Scarlet vignettes.  So far they've been excellent, and this is the best one by far.

The Dakota Kai/Raquel Gonzalez feature was great.  I kind of want an NXT show that cuts out everything but the women's division.  It is the best thing this company has done in over a decade.

I hate the fact that Grimes didn't slap Balor last week.  It really makes me uninterested in this match. His character, which is poorly defined as it is, can't be a bitch.  He can take the ass whooping afterwards, but if he says he's going to slap someone he has to do it.  Honestly, if he slaps Balor, and they come out and have this exact same match, Grimes is elevated...but he didn't so he's not.  P.S.  I'm still wondering what an archer of infamy is.

I like Jack Gallegher, but he's visually the least intimidating man on the planet.  

Mauro said, "This match may not last 15 seconds," after Kayden Karter takes Aliyah down with an ankle pick...which is perhaps an overreaction.  

These Gargano family vignettes are exactly what happens when people have too much time on their hands.

The story of the Riddle vs. Thatcher match is, "one of these dudes should wear shoes."  This is a really good match, but I would like to know how it would get over in front of a crowd.  I love it, but I'm not the average WWE/NXT fan.  

29 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Have they brought up the fact that Jake Atlas is gay, or do they just have him wear Liberace's jacket and hope we get the subtext?  I actually like the fact that they didn't force his sexuality into his character, but I couldn't pass up the Liberace joke.  Nevermind, they call his finisher a Rainbow DDT...subtlety is not their strong suit.  

This one might be on Atlas. Apparently even in indies he was calling his finisher the LGB-DDT.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 8:11 PM, supremebve said:

Is Alex Shelley signed, or was he just there for the Dusty Classic run?

Not signed, but he believes the door remains open if he wants to go in that direction. He has been a guest trainer at the PC  as well as wrestling for NXT, so presumably they consider him to have value.

May 20

Before Karrion Kross and Scarlet debuted NXT, I hadn't ever watched any of their work.  I say that to ask this, is there a reason they're getting the push they're getting?  I think they've done an exceptional job with these two, but it also makes me wonder why them?  They've brought in some huge names from the indies, but none of them have got this kind of push from the start.  

A great thing about NXT is that a guy the size of Tomasso Ciampa can be seen as a legitimate threat to a guy the size of Karrion Kross, but that is why having a separate cruiserweight division is useless.  Everyone who only wrestles in that division looks like a jobber, because they don't interact with the rest of the roster.  Scarlet is going to be a star (does she wrestle?).  She has really good physical charisma (I'm not even being a perv this time), her facial expression when she held the ropes for Ciampa was fantastic.  She looked like a kid in a candy store, just hoping for the possiblity of violence.  This is a gimmick that is going to need the workers to deliver, and so far I don't think I could ask any more from either Kross or Scarlet.  

Tozawa vs. Fantasma was really fun.  Tozawa gets insane height on that senton, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting old because I thought, "damn, he's going to have a bad back."  I'd like to see more of both of them against the rest of the NXT roster.

I really have no idea how to feel about the Shotzi Blackheart vignette.  I don't understand why, but she strikes me as a total sweetheart and her tough voice seems inauthentic.

Santana Garrett looks like a castmember from G.L.O.W. there's just something 1980s about her presentation.  

I have to say, Johnny and Candice's new characters are loathesome.  

Cameron Grimes doesn't make sense as a character.  He's a dude who wrestles like some sort of rugged badass, and he's really good at it. Then he cuts a goofy promo like a cowardly heel, which I don't think fits him.

Drake Maverick called KUSHIDA is the best wrestler in the world, and I'm pretty sure he's the only one who thinks that.

On the other hand Roddy calling Dester Lumis a big creepy dork is exactly what I would expect from a guy like Roderick Strong.  Of everyone on the roster, Roderick Strong is the most underutilized, he's absolutely fantastic at everything.  Lumis still feels a little green, but he more than held his own here.  

So, Fantasma is clearly behind the kidnappings.  They try to take him and he can just shrug them off, but poor Tozawa gets his ass kicked.  

Burch and Lorcan vs. Imperium is goinig to be awesome.

I've always like KUSHIDA, but he feels like a complete non-factor.  I know Drake Maverick is supposed to be a sympathetic underdog, but screaming like a bitch makes him feel like a weakling who doesn't belong more than someone fighting against the odds.  Seriously, if being put in a submission makes you cry like a kindergartner with a boo boo, you probably should pick another job.  

Ripley vs. Shirai was really good while it lasted, but Charlotte (and dem pants) came in for the DQ.  Once again, this is the exact right decision for the division.  Charlotte is the champion, Shirai is the challenger, and Ripley needs to be kept strong and they did it in a way where all three women have legitimate motivation to keep fighting.  It is utterly amazing how they can get this division so right and so much other stuff so wrong.

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

Scarlet is going to be a star (does she wrestle?).  She has really good physical charisma (I'm not even being a perv this time), her facial expression when she held the ropes for Ciampa was fantastic. 

She wrestles though last I saw of her was in Stardom where she was kind of average. Heard she looked better later in TNA. She has actually been in developmental for a bit now so I'm not sure she really plans to wrestle as it seems like they were more or less waiting for Kross to finally be free from TNA before they used her. They are a real couple.

I really have no idea how to feel about the Shotzi Blackheart vignette.  I don't understand why, but she strikes me as a total sweetheart and her tough voice seems inauthentic.

She comes across to me as authentically inauthentic to me. Like she totally believes what she is saying, but doesn't realize she is too much of a sweetheart in actuality.

Santana Garrett looks like a castmember from G.L.O.W. there's just something 1980s about her presentation.  

Could never figure out why she always felt off to me, but this explains it perfectly. She was even in the recent WOW for a bit and I think had absolutely zero changes in her look and presentation.

• Like 1

May 27

The cruiserweight 3-way was tons of fun, but the ending was totally nonsensical.  Why was Maverick's arm over Atlas counted as more than Kushida's legs?  The ref didn't even look at Kushida's shoulders, which weren't down by the way, so that shouldn't be the call.  It just felt forced.  I'd like to reiterate that the entire Drake Maverick storyline is distasteful.  The company that fired Maverick, as well as many others, is profiting off the fact that he was devastated by losing his job.  

This "crowd" is distracting as hell.  I honestly didn't miss the crowd at all since I've starting trying to catch up, but having random NXT/PC members chant at who is essentially their coworker is just dumb.

Adrian Alanis is my favorite wrestler since Hulk Huggan, or Randall Savage.

I guess the Mia Yim/Kieth Lee segment was mildly amusing.  Why was Teegan Nox delivering pizza?

I figured out why they have a "crowd" so they can get reaction shots...can't have wrestling without reaction shots.  Honestly, I don't think there is anything about the WWE's product that makes me want to watch less than the insistence on showing reactions to what is happening over what is actually happening.  

Shotzi Blackheart and Raquel Gonzalez is a really fun pairing.  Shotzi damn near killed herself with that dive.  I honestly cannot believe she wasn't injured there, she landed right on her head and neck.  Yikes.

The women's tag was pretty good, and adding Chelsea Green immediately makes her feel like a bigger deal.  I'd watch any combination of Ripley, Shirai, and Charlotte in any kind of match, any day of the week.  

This Adam Cole/William Regal segment about Velveteen Dream never getting another title shot feels different after this weekend of allegations.  I don't think Adam Cole will have to worry about the Dream for a while.

This Burch/Lorcan promo was great.  Those deserve a bigger role, and if I was booking they'd get a title run.

I've been trying to get through this show for the better part of 3 days, but the shitty WWE network keeps booting me off.  I know it's their stupid app, because I'm able to watch everything else with no problems.  To be continued...