DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING/SUMMER 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Edwin
On 4/12/2020 at 7:22 AM, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

YOUR TEAM'S ALL TIME FAVOURITE XI

Jan Oblak; Filipe Luís, Diego Godín, Miranda, Juanfran; Paulo Futre, Gabi, Diego Pablo Simeone, Koke; Fernando Torres, Radamel Falcao

That was pretty hard to put together. Too many good players I can throw in there though -- Diego Forlán, Kiko, Tiago, Milinko Pantić, Sergio Agüero, Diego Costa, David de Gea, Thibaut Courtois, etc.

I was thinking about the players almost signed, but the transfers feel through -- R9, Riquelme, Klinsmann, Cantona, Stoichkov, Kluivert, Eto'o, Anelka and most recently Lacazette, Cavani and Lautaro.

So Alan Pardew got his £100,000 bonus for avoiding relegation as manager of ADO Den Haag. They would have gone down but the Eredivisie season was abandoned.

Certain Rangers-affiliated ex players are saying the SFA should follow the Dutch lead. End the season, declare Celtic earned the Champions League spot, but don't crown a league champion. So not only do Celtic not get nine in a row, next season it's reset to zero and they have to start over. So not biased at all there.

Edited by AxB
  • Thanks 1

I thought I heard Pardew donating the bonus money. 

the bad thing about these restart decisions is that either authorities cannot set aside their tribalism or at least their motives will be questioned by people through their biased POV. 

Guest Edwin

Eredivisie also announced they will not be continuing their season and that it would be voided and Ajax would not be recognized as the the league winners.

I know the Premier League, Bundesliga and LaLiga are doing the best they could to resume the league with the games taking place in closed door stadiums.

Edited by Edwin

Silly thought popped into my head: what if, instead of empty stadiums, the various leagues played indoor soccer? Not even making the results count against the standings, just something to do for awhile as I know it's been done there in some form. I want Manchester Red Evils vs Arsenal Gunners at the O2, dang it.

EDIT: I know the typo is there but I was too tickled to fix it. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Silly thought popped into my head: what if, instead of empty stadiums, the various leagues played indoor soccer? Not even making the results count against the standings, just something to do for awhile as I know it's been done there in some form. I want Manchester Red Evils vs Arsenal Gunners at the O2, dang it.

Glad you didn't. Made me chuckle. Cheers.

If some leagues actually resume* and others don't, what happens to next season? Surely they aren't proposing to have English football restart in June, play through July and then start pre-season again in August? What happens to this year's Europa League and Champions League**, let alone qualification for next year?

* nb: I'd say it's more than 50% likely that the Englsih league at least attempts to start playing games again.

** Obviously if French teams aren't playing domestic football and English teams are, that means you've got one set of players who are match fit and one set who aren't. So to actually play the games wouldn't be fair. But if they cancel the games, does that mean Liverpool are considered to have retained the Champion's League? Interesting way to win the double, that.

Edited by AxB

The Uefa dictum recently was that if a league cant finish, they have to come up with final standings that will figure out the next CL/EL competitors. Thats what France just did. 

Supposed.y, if a league “voids” the season, instead of doing a final table, they will not be in the CL/EL. 

With some  countries not having sports until September, i think the CL will not finish.  Unless they all go to a neutral site. Not surprisingly, psg has suggested playing their CL matches in Qatar. 

9 hours ago, AxB said:

But if they cancel the games, does that mean Liverpool are considered to have retained the Champion's League? Interesting way to win the double, that.

The double? They might win nothing, at this rate.

There will just be no winner of the champ league, unless they can play the games later. The domestic leagues have a decent amount of data in order to "complete" the season (even if average points for the season just means there will be no change in the tables. How about predictive analytics, if they're all so clever? Higher weighting to more recent matches etc). But UEFA only have group stages and aborted round of 16 games to go on. 

The USWNT's lawsuit for equal pay against US Soccer was dismissed on Friday.

The judge has allowed their claim of unequal work/travel conditions to go to trial though.

Guest Edwin

If LaLiga can't resume and they end the season, there's talks Barça would be announced as the league champs and Atleti would be in 6th, so they should be dropping to the EL, but given what they did in the last CL game and their performance in previous leagues and European competitions, they are getting an invite in the CL from UEFA, so all's well on my end.

Guest Edwin

Sure, that would make sense, but in their defense -- it would not have been fair to just reject them from the CL when they just pulled off an enormous upset in which they weren't given a shot by hardly anyone outside of their fan base eliminating one of the best clubs in the world and the past champions. Plus, we don't know how far they could have realistically run in the competition itself this season and there is a very high chance they would have finished in a top 3 league spot as they are 2 points away from a CL spot.

On 4/30/2020 at 8:16 AM, Pete said:

The Guinness Soccer 6's were a thing in the mid to late 80's when English teams were banned from playing in Europe

4216.jpg?width=860&quality=45&auto=forma

9 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

The Guinness Soccer 6's were a thing in the mid to late 80's when English teams were banned from playing in Europe

4216.jpg?width=860&quality=45&auto=forma

THE G-MEX! Looks like if MISL put a team in the Kibbie Dome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Bundesliga slated for May 15th return

None of them are any match for the new largest club on Earth: The mighty FSC Slutsk, future champions of Belarus, Europe and the entire world!!!!!! #SlutskArmy

Guest Edwin

Ousmane Dembélé won't be allowed to play the remainder of the league games with Barcelona if the league does continue. He spent an extensive amount of time injured and the club signed and registered Martin Braithwaite as his replacement. He will however be eligible to play the remainder of the Champions League games if the competition does somehow continue this season.