DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING/SUMMER 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Edwin

LaLiga returns on June 20 and will end on July 26. Games will be played on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Edited by Edwin

Guest Edwin

Rule changes have been approved. Clubs can make up to 5 subs per game and they will now have 23 call ups per game. There will be 2 water breaks per game. There has to be a 72 hour rest period in between games and VAR will now be optional, not mandatory as it will be up to the organizer of the competition to choose and make it's decision of usage.

On this dreadful of dates 35 years ago, the Bradford City AFC Valley Parade Fire Disaster occurred. R.I.P. The 56 and my thoughts with those affected by the tragedy to this day. We never forget xxxxxx.

• Sad 3

Last Saturday's Google Doodle: Frank Soo

Spoiler

Celebrating Frank Soo

The first ever non-White England player, in 1942. 36 years before Viv Anderson became the first Black England player. Still the only East Asian footballer to play for England.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/project-restart-premier-league-championship-games-tv-schedule-coronavirus

If they can agree to a way to conclude the season (not a gimme, 14 out of 20 teams need to agree, and the lower ranked teams are holding out for a "no-relegation" promise.)

One plan would have 3-4 games played per day (between the English Premier League and the Championship). All on TV.

EXuquJaXsAA5NKN?format=jpg&name=small

I was only two months old and my Dad lost a friend in the fire disaster at Bradford City's Valley Parade. R.I.P. The 56, the injured and those affected by those events 35 years ago.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pete said:

UK government has authorized the PL to resume the season behind closed doors beginning June 1, pending a vote from the clubs.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-liverpool-set-to-be-champions-as-premier-league-rules-out-voiding-season-11986674

Much to the disappointment of Manchester and London, Liverpool will be champions and the pundits can stick their asterisks in their posteriors.

MLS has the plan to have all games be played at the Disney Sports Complex outside of Orlando, FL.  

It also looks like they're going to ask all players to take a 20% pay cut.

96941719_10157389033783862_3116470901822

14th May 2000: Twenty years ago today, Bradford City beat Liverpool 1-0 to stay in the Premier League on the final day of the season. That's me and my Dad after the game. Out of all the Bradford City games I was there for, this remains my #1. As season tickets holders, we watched the first home game in the Premier League drawing against Middlesbrough 1-1 in August 1999 and the last Premier League game ever away at Coventry City 0-0, May 2001. Think it was Coventry's last well so the pain was shared, @Sky Blue Sam.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin
On 5/8/2020 at 5:06 PM, odessasteps said:

Saw this and was bummed. Love Lodi. One of the best signings Atleti made in the transfer window (Llorente, Hermoso and Trippier were also fantastic signings, but the best one has been Felipe who's been a rock in defense and who's turned into one of the best CBs in the world).

On 5/12/2020 at 11:34 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

MLS has the plan to have all games be played at the Disney Sports Complex outside of Orlando, FL.  

It also looks like they're going to ask all players to take a 20% pay cut.

Oof. I'm guessing that Disney Sports Complex is the ESPN World Wide Sports venue and I'm guessing the games will be played behind closed doors with no fans. That venue kind of sucks and it won't look good on video, but then again big empty stadiums will look no better, so I guess it's understandable if they want to complete this season.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:47 AM, The Natural said:

96941719_10157389033783862_3116470901822

14th May 2000: Twenty years ago today, Bradford City beat Liverpool 1-0 to stay in the Premier League on the final day of the season. That's me and my Dad after the game. Out of all the Bradford City games I was there for, this remains my #1. As season tickets holders, we watched the first home game in the Premier League drawing against Middlesbrough 1-1 in August 1999 and the last Premier League game ever away at Coventry City 0-0, May 2001. Think it was Coventry's last well so the pain was shared, @Sky Blue Sam.

I remember the day we got relegated well, end of my first year at uni, sat in the Wetherspoons in Swansea and trying to get regular updates on the score. I vividly remember one of my friends being furious that a player "as shit as Juan Pablo Angel" would score the goal that relegated us.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:19 PM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

There's another live game on at 12:30 EST.

Soccer loses a little bit without fans in the arena, but on the whole it was very tolerable.

You have to feel for Union... they would've had one berserk crowd for Bayern. Might've been worth a goal or two.

Scotland has voted to end the season, which means Celtic win their ninth title in a row and Hearts fall through the trap door to the Championship (of course they're appealing).

Here are the details for MLS's proposed restart:

These are the new details, as first reported by The Athletic:

• Teams being split into four groups, with three of them containing six teams and one of them containing eight teams.
  • Two groups would be made up of Western Conference teams with the MLS Cup champion Seattle Sounders in one and Supporters’ Shield winners LAFC in the other.
  • The other two groups would be made up of Eastern Conference teams with the addition of Nashville SC, who would apparently temporarily switch conferences for the rest of 2020. One of those groups would contain Eastern Conference champion Toronto FC and it sounds as if the other would have host Orlando City SC.
  • The teams would all play five “group stage” games against one another. Those games would count toward the regular-season standings. The top two teams from each group would advance to an eight-team knockout round.
  • At the conclusion of the tournament, the hope is that teams could return to their home markets to finish out an abbreviated regular season in which they would only play intra-conference opponents.
  • The season would then conclude with an expanded 18-team playoff, presumably with the 8 and 9 seeds effectively playing into the field.