DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING/SUMMER 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Well, chances are we're not going to see anything resembling a professional or national level soccer game until May or June (possibly not until July), so I've consulted the executive board of the Death Valley Driver Video Review Sports Board which consists of me, @Pete's dog, and a sleeping DEAN.  We've decided to make this thread last until the Fall, since (HOPEFULLY) things will be relatively back to normal by then.  

tumblr_n8nkj1qT041slb0t5o8_250.gifv

Whatever normal is in September...  Anyway, here's the thread. 

• Haha 1

Love those doggos. 

The whole situation is surreal. I would say Liverpool supporters will be pissed, but right now, everyone has other stuff on their mind. 

If you believe in Germany's DFL (which is a sort of association only of the three top division Clubs), all the Pro leagues can't afford not to play matches for extended periods, whether it's with or without fans. 

The question is if political Intervention will help the clubs out. At least everyone seems reasonable enough to accept the necessity of laying low and not pushing for dumb actions. 

Honestly UEFA should give their blessing to if the seasons are not able to be completed that the team in first be awarded the title. Also no pro/rel with the proviso that teams in line for promotion be compensated in some form by the authorities.

Nah, too much money, if they end the season, they have to pay 750 Million in lost tv rights)

Oh, speaking of the Premier league, NBC is offering free Premier League Gold Pass during the next month (for all EPL games, and a bunch of classic ones as well)

THey also have a rugby pass for free if you want to follow more english sports.

edit: https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/free-access

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Thanks 1

Source: https://theathletic.com/1687633

Premier League executives have been told it will cost them £762 million in lost broadcast revenue if the 2019-20 season fails to finish due to the coronavirus, The Athletic can reveal.

The huge figure would come due to a breach of contract in terms agreed for domestic and international rights and was communicated to all 20 clubs during the crisis meeting at Premier League headquarters in London on Thursday morning.

The suspension is understood to be costing Sky, one of the two main domestic broadcasters, huge amounts per day as they are not charging many sports customers and cannot attract the same in advertising.

The clubs receive broadcast money twice a year, in August and February, so only recently received the cash for the end of the season.

• Thanks 1

I honestly don't know what's going to happen, I mean, football is just a bunch of dudes trying to get a football over a line and is only a game and as beautiful and amazing it is, it is just a game which, in the grand scheme of things, means nothing. But if we have to talk about it, Liverpool are pretty much the champions, they were never in a trillion years going to throw it away and, yet, they can't simply award Liverpool the league and, I'm not just saying that as a United fan, because it would always be the asterisk against it, Liverpool won the league but they didn't win the league and you don't win the league until you've won the league and on and on. 

But it's only football. 

And yet we need football. But we don't need it because it's only football and, yeah.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop

It's of course only football, it can ever only be secondary to those who are not in it for a living. 

Yet, some people place it very high on priority lists.

I think you could always go the route to award a championship based on circumstances and performance up until a certain point in the season, but as @Fuzzy Dunlop said it would always be with an asterisk. Which would be a shame with the remarkable season Liverpool played so far.

There also remains the moral issue of having medical officials at what are ultimately “non-essential events”, not to mention potential hospital visits.

“Where does a player who does his cruciate or breaks his leg go after he’s stretchered off?” one source privy to the plans asked. “Hospitals will have much bigger concerns. The Premier League would almost have to have a private hospital blocked off.”

From that article. Not wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, yeah, football is pretty irrelevant right now but we can still talk about it. 

This gets done every few years on here but, hey, why not, your choices can change down the years.

YOUR TEAM'S ALL TIME FAVOURITE XI

Man United:

Schmeichel

G. Neville

Vidic

Stam

Irwin

Ronaldo

Keane

Scholes

Giggs

Cantona

Van Nistelrooy

Actually, okay, mine hasn't changed much in years.

Most of those speak for themselves and are automatic picks but could easily have gone with Rio at centre half but for the, frankly, fearsome duo of Vidic and the big Dutchman there. I'd be faking a hamstring injury in the warm up if I was a centre forward having to line-up against those two. Unless I was Fernando Torres, he used to have Vidic on toast, he never could get the hang of that fucker.

I could flip a coin between Ole and van Nistelrooy at centre forward but I'm on a Ruud kick lately. Weirdly, I'm never inclined to include Rooney even though I haven't much idea why. It would be quite the team nevertheless.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 1