DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING/SUMMER 2020

Dolfan in NYC

On 9/12/2020 at 1:24 PM, The Natural said:

Liking the new Liverpool home kit. The 2019-2020 home shirt will be fondly thought of and loved as Liverpool wore that shirt when winning the Premier League. First top flight title in 31 years.

Someone just needs to explain the teal trim to me. Looks way odd on that traditional home shirt.

Leeds are going to give everyone fits if that's how they're playing this year. Yowza.

Thiago to Liverpool for £20m+£5m in add-ons! Finally happened after I guess Bayern blinked on 30. Incredible player and we've been missing a reliable playmaker in the middle for years. Hendo, Gini, Milner, and Keita run their asses off and all have playmaking ability but nothing, NOTHING like Thiago. World class technique in the middle will give us a new wrinkle from deep and through the middle when teams park the bus or look to shut down the fullbacks. If we can keep Gini for a compressed schedule, even better. Liverpool generally doesn't sign players in their prime or nearing the end of their prime but Thiago only had a year left, wanted to join, and was available for cheap relative to his value provided. Excellent. The squad needed something new and this is it. He doesn't need to play every game. Unless he's Aquilini pt 2 in terms of fitness, it's fine. I feel like the creative balance is just right between the fullbacks and two Brazilians playing through the middle. 

Am going to lol if Bale can play 20+ games and stay healthy for Spurs. Also, they got an absolute gem in Reguilón. One of the best full backs last season in Spain.

Inter Miami signed Pipita Higuaín and he will be the highest paid player in the league. Oof.

They wanted Pistolero Suárez, but he gained interest from European clubs and is likely either staying at Barça on the bench or agreeing to lower his salary and joining Atleti if they can sell some players (Hi Everton, please sign Lemar. Hi Fenerbahçe, please sign Diego Costa! Hi Arsenal, please sign Vitolo, no, you will not get Thomas unless you pay the release clause!). His transfer to Juve got dropped as Juve are in for City legend Džeko from Roma and Roma are in for Milik from Napoli.

Liverpool sign Diogo Jota outta nowhere. Wow. I was always more focused on Traore's pace and dribbling when watching Wolves but Jota is great. Way more end product and can play through the middle or on the left. I think between Thiago and Jota, that's enough addition to really give us something else moving forward and provide options and rest stars without there being a huge drop off. If you asked me what the three biggest needs are at the end of the season it would've been

1. Skilled attacking option to rotate in with the front 3, provide a different look, and push our attackers to make sure there's no complacency.
  2. Central midfield creativity
  3. Leftback cover

With Jota, Thiago, and Tsimikas, Liverpool have addressed those needs. Only thing I can see being somewhat problematic is CB coverage when Matip inevitably goes down with injury. It's Gomez and VVD. Fabinho will likely be the 4th option now. Not sure how I feel about that. He's a fantastic tackler but he can be inconsistent and really thrives on a playing rhythm. Any time he is out of the lineup for an extended period of time, he makes some really horrible decisions and his touch betrays him until he gets settled in again. Some players need to go now even with the condensed season and schedule, so maybe there's a chance of a late window CB bid but if not I think we'll make do until the next window if there's an emergency. Ki-Jana Hoever is a pretty good young CB/RB and is going to Wolves. 

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Two Premier League games for Leeds United, both going 4-3. 4-3 to Liverpool and 4-3 to Leeds today vs. Fulham.

Bielsismo! Their backline still struggles, but they are great in attack.

This happened in MLS:

Edited by Edwin

Spurs announced Reguilón and Bale and they also announced Bale won't be able to play for the next 4 weeks as he is still carrying the injured he suffered in the UEFA Nations League qualifiers with Wales.