DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING/SUMMER 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Spartak crash out of the Russian Cup 1-2 at Zenit.

United down 1-0 in the FA Cup.

This is really shaping up to be a shitty soccer day for me...

• Sad 1

On 6/21/2020 at 7:24 AM, The Natural said:

Roy Keane, not a happy bunny.

On 6/21/2020 at 6:27 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

I totally agree with Keane. DDG should have left after last season. 

On 6/24/2020 at 9:49 AM, The Natural said:

I agree with both of you.

Relevant after David De Gea's howlers in the FA Cup Semi-Final vs. Chelsea yesterday.

After over 4 months I'm FINALLY getting to go to a live sporting event: Hartford Athletic vs Loudon United in USL action. They allow 25% capacity (apx 1,500 out of 6,000 capacity) and I got one of the last season tickets available on Saturday (basically STH are the only ones who have tickets as they have 1,500 season seats sold already). 9 matches for $122.

• Like 1

Just now, sabremike said:

After over 4 months I'm FINALLY getting to go to a live sporting event: Hartford Athletic vs Loudon United in USL action. They allow 25% capacity (apx 1,500 out of 6,000 capacity) and I got one of the last season tickets available on Saturday (basically STH are the only ones who have tickets as they have 1,500 season seats sold already). 9 matches for $122.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Why I love the Championship: tomorrow's final game day features 12 matches, ELEVEN of which have something riding on them.

image.png

Birmingham v Derby: The Blues survive with a win so destiny is firmly in their hands.
Brentford v Barnsley: The Bees will be promoted if they better West Brom's result, while the Tykes need to win and hope Luton and Charlton both lose in order to survive.
Bristol City v Preston North End: The one meaningless match. As you were, lads.
Cardiff v Hull: The Bluebirds just need a draw to make the playoffs; if they lose and Swansea win, the Swans qualify instead. Meanwhile, the Tigers can survive if they win while Luton, Charlton and Barnsley all lose... and make up a 16-goal diff. ?
Leeds v Charlton: Addicks beat the champions and they're safe. Anything less and they're sweating results elsewhere.
Luton v Blackburn: Hatters could theoretically be safe with a draw and a metric fuck-ton of help, but realistically need a win and Charlton/Barnsley to lose.
Millwall v Huddersfield: Terriers are all but safe, but a result would make it academic.
Nottingham Forest vs Stoke: Forest just need the point to lock in the playoffs while Stoke are already on the beach socially distancing.
Reading v Swansea: See Cardiff v Hull. Reading are safe.
Sheffield Wednesday v Middlesbrough: Boro are safe with a win.
West Brom v QPR: See Brentford v Barnsley. QPR are safe.
Wigan v Fulham: The Cottagers will go up automatically if they win and WBA/Brentford both lose.

To top it all off, three clubs (Wigan, Derby and Wednesday) are facing court cases that could result in significant, relegation-level point deductions. IT'S THE CHAMPIONSHIP, BABY!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Natural said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51628666

One for @ChesterCopperpot, @Jiji and football fans here. Who makes up your all-time Liverpool XI?

Whenever we did the all-time XIs tournament, my Liverpool team got knocked out in the first or second round. ?‍♂️ I went for a cohesive unit rather than the best players, which led to questionable choices like Jan Molby in midfield (the mid to late '80s teams are kind of a favourite among Liverpudlians so that probably really coloured my selection).

Now? I'd have to include VVD and Alisson. I haven't seen much of the '70s and '60s teams other than cup finals, so it's really hard to say. Like Tommy Smith sounds amazing from everything I've read and the few matches I've seen but Alan Hansen and VVD is such a mobile, skillful pairing at the centre. Replaced Molby with Alonso, making a dynamic central pairing with hardman Souness who could do a bit of everything but would primarily be the steel in midfield. Gerrard starting from the right was a bit of a cheat because you gotta have Dalglish and Rushy up front. Barnes' dribbling and playmaking were of the highest order. I think I went Clemence in net last time but Alisson with those two CBs ahead of him completes the holy trinity of incredible skill and awareness (despite the Arsenal game) with VvD and Hansen. Phil Neal won just about every fucking trophy available. Emlyn Hughes was super versatile playing midfield, centre back, and left back with qualities for all three positions. Lots of leadership throughout. I'd think one of the better teams you could put out that doesn't have C-Ron, Messi, Pele, or Maradona. 

lineup1.png

I guess Hansen would have to take 3 or 5.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

So, Man Yoo will want to put up a cricket score against West Ham. Leicester's defeat means that they only lead Man Yoo on Goals Scored (same points, same goal difference).

Basically, Leicester will have to beat ManU by the same amount that ManU beats West Ham to qualify

A lot of people want to see West Ham go down after the whole Null and Void thing at the start of lockdown, and the whole taxpayer Stadium deal. And Moyes. Basically, there's a lot to dislike about West Ham. If they didn't have Iron Maiden...

• Like 1

I'm not sure if Atlanta United miss Josef Martinez (of course they do) or if they really miss a player like Miguel Almiron who could get hot when Martinez was missing, but they have been quite the lifeless squad since his injury. Plus, the league has caught up to what Eales and Co have done by focusing on young South American talent.

So... West Brom are up and both Welsh clubs leapfrog Forest (who absolutely went down in flames following the restart) into the playoffs along with Brentford and Fulham.

Playoff matchups are Brentford/Swansea and Fulham/Cardiff, with the richest prize in football awaiting the victor.

At the business end of the table, Wigan are down pending their points appeal after going into administration, joining Hull and Charlton. A win over Fulham would've saved them but as things stand, they're down with a 1-1 draw. Barnsley survive after netting injury-time winners twice in a row. Luton are safe as well.

ef04a82c-16d9-4a7a-add1-b70e5bd01a57.png

dc8511f9-d681-442d-8302-53a46a0124e2.png

On 7/21/2020 at 5:32 PM, The Natural said:

Part of me will believe it when I see it, but the fact the university is on board gives it some credibility. Apparently the land falls on the Warwickshire side of the university campus, so we wouldn't have to deal so much with Coventry council, which is a bonus. 

Have to say,  as someone who used to live in Swansea and went to the Vetch in the L2 days, I'm delighted to see them beat the odds and get into the play offs. Even more so as I currently live in Nottingham and Forest's bottling gives me an easy to attend away game next season, Covid allowing 

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, AxB said:

A lot of people want to see West Ham go down after the whole Null and Void thing at the start of lockdown, and the whole taxpayer Stadium deal. And Moyes. Basically, there's a lot to dislike about West Ham. If they didn't have Iron Maiden...

I wanted West Ham United to go down for those reasons. The other reason not mentioned? The owners.

10 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Part of me will believe it when I see it, but the fact the university is on board gives it some credibility. Apparently the land falls on the Warwickshire side of the university campus, so we wouldn't have to deal so much with Coventry council, which is a bonus. 

Have to say,  as someone who used to live in Swansea and went to the Vetch in the L2 days, I'm delighted to see them beat the odds and get into the play offs. Even more so as I currently live in Nottingham and Forest's bottling gives me an easy to attend away game next season, Covid allowing 

Good luck, bud with the new stadium for Coventry City.

Edited by The Natural

17 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Welcome to the Championship boys: the final day has been insane. 

Swansea with a 5 goal swing to steal the 6 spot in the playoff!!!

Hell of a turnaround for Swansea City and Nottingham Forrest.

@AxB and @throughsilver: What did you think about the Leeds United celebration with the team celebrating on an open top bus?  I can understand why Leeds United fans who didn't go to Elland Road last night are pissed for missing out on that.