DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING/SUMMER 2020

Dolfan in NYC

On 6/28/2020 at 6:31 PM, ReiseReise said:

Bundesliga Relegation Playoff will be Bremen versus Heidenheim. It could have been Hamburg vs Bremen, but Hamburg lost 1-5 at home to make sure this wouldn't happen. 

Weird season, for obvious reasons. It looked as if maybe, just maybe Bayern could have gotten multiple challengers under normal circumstances, but as it was, it turned into the usual boredom once play resumed. I hope the whole thing had at least a few positive aspects outside of the sports world. 

Bremen avoided Relegation after a goalless tie at home and a 2-2 away. Away goal rule be praised, especially in empty grounds. 

Time to check if your provider carries CBS Sports network, they stepped in for the Champions League/Europa League Rights a year and a half early (their contract was to start in '21-22, now it starts immediately)

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/07/08/cbs-acquires-champions-league-rights-to-broadcast-2019-20-and-2020-21-seasons/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also Nashville just had 9 players test positive.  So they'll probably be booted from the tournament.  

However, there was only 1 other player leaguewide who tested positive 

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also Nashville just had 9 players test positive.  So they'll probably be booted from the tournament. 

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Congratulations to Orlando for injuring one of Miami's best defenders and then taking the W in the 7th minute of stoppage time.

Assholes. 

I'm excited to watch Atlanta play again on Saturday, but I'm still bummed that Josef Martinez is out this year. I barely had a chance to get used to the idea before the season halted.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Nashville has officially withdrawn.  They've adjusted it now to move Chicago to Group B and have redone the schedule.  All groups now have 4 teams.

If you'll allow me to ramble a bit, aw man, Big Jack is pretty much the only man in football history to have been both an England football legend AND an Ireland football legend. I'd heard the stories before which people have repeated today about him walking into pubs here and ordering everyone a round which he 'paid' for by cheque safe in the knowledge that the cheque would never be cashed so you have all these pubs in Ireland with framed cheques behind the bar, kept as souvenirs from the day Big Jack visited. 

Yeah, there were probably jibes about the whole granny rule and half the team then having English accents and the style of play not being great but ask anyone who was there in Stuttgart when they beat England or Genoa when they beat Romania or the Giant Stadium when they beat Italy in front of a sea of green if that mattered?

True story, my dad was there when they won on penalties against Romania (my mum's never let him forget allowing him to go) and he's told me all the stories before including when O'Leary walked up to take the decisive penalty half the crowd went 'DAVID O'FUCKING LEARY?!?' but then it went in and it was the greatest moment of his life and I'm pretty sure that includes getting married and his children being born. 

Jack Charlton not only changed Irish football but he pretty much changed Ireland in general for a time. When he took that job the country was in the shitter and that team, particularly during Italia '90, at least brought optimism and made the people happy. He's unquestionably respected and revered through winning the World Cup with England and from his time at Leeds but he's as revered as you can get in Ireland and he's an honorary Irishman. I remember as well his stinging condemnation on the pitch of the absolute shitbag hooligans at Lansdowne in '95 who didn't five a flying fuck about football and were only there to cause trouble and who gave the rest of the English fans a bad name. 

I'll have a pint of stout and go fishing in his memory.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 3

Jack was an absolute media superstar in the US during the 1994 WC... just so laid back and immensely quotable. After Ireland lost to the Netherlands, the press all gave him an ovation when he finally excused himself.

• Like 2