DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/18/2020

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

Honestly, I'm not worried about Matt in-ring.  Jericho is nearly 5 years older and he has done fine, and he isn't wrestling like he did twenty years ago either.  In a match like B&G, they can hide Hardy real well, and he won't come close to taking anything away from the match.  For christ sake, Hager's in the match too, and he ain't exactly Bret Hart.

I get what you’re saying, but I’m not talking about talent level. Anyone who read the last Saudi thread knows I think workrate is about the last thing anyone should give a shit about. Matt Hardy can’t bend his knees at this point. He’s been broken down for five years. It’s not his fault, it’s just where we are. Jake Hager can pick up his own car keys if they hit the floor. That’s what I’m saying.

Edited by just drew

I would agree with Satin's opinion if it wasn't for the fact that:

1.  the WWE ran a show that involved very little social distancing of the people there and featuring Austin spitting all over the place

2.  The WWE is going to run a show TWO DAYS IN A ROW in maybe multiple locations that will have over 50 people each time. There is no way they can't

I am sure that he will say that they have strict health checks when you walk in.  Maybe they do but I seriously doubt that Tony Khan was just letting anybody walk in sight unseen.

Let's be honest, he is just trying to get his name on the essential list

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I would agree with Satin's opinion if it wasn't for the fact that:

1.  the WWE ran a show that involved very little social distancing of the people there and featuring Austin spitting all over the place

2.  The WWE is going to run a show TWO DAYS IN A ROW in maybe multiple locations that will have over 50 people each time. There is no way they can't

I am sure that he will say that they have strict health checks when you walk in.  Maybe they do but I seriously doubt that Tony Khan was just letting anybody walk in sight unseen.

Satin is *right* and it's really not a matter of opinion. These shows are a public health risk, period. Just because he's a stooge that attacks AEW while letting WWE off the hook doesn't mean what he's saying is incorrect. "Sight unseen" is not how this shit works. You can't tell by looking at people whether they have the virus. It is irresponsible to continue these shows regardless of which company is doing it.

• Like 2

I think it's dumb af to continue trying to run under these conditions.  I watched a few bits and pieces and read the recap on Meltzer's site, but it's hard to enjoy anything right now and I don't have much interest in someone trying to run a live show.

That said, the show looked and sounded suprisingly good.  Definitely better than the WWE shows from the performance center.

As someone who thinks Brodie Lee is basically just average, Lee/Harper being revealed as the Exalted One was underwhelming when Matt Hardy was right there.

• Like 1

Broken Matt is a megababyface to AEW’s audience.  Would be dumb to try to force him into a heel role.  

Brodie will get sympathy pops for a while (assuming there are ever fans again) but you can work with him as a heel in the long run.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4

"Allow me to FORMERLY introduce myself."

I love Brodie Lee but I don't think that Promo was very good at all. I mean - it was taped. I think a second draft would have been better.

I did like how he was so tall, he barely fit down the entrance tunnel. Also it was a nice touch how not only were the heels and faces on opposite sides, but they were on the same side as their team entrances. Heels both watch and enter from our left.

• Like 1

Leaving aside the fact that I don't think running shows at the moment is a great idea, they did a really good job of making something interesting and unique with that show. 

Dunno if it was because of the lack of noise, but some of the flubs stood out more (penelope's rana, jungle boys dive/no dive at the end of his match etc). I'm not overly bothered by those things normally so interesting that I spotted them tonight. 

Loved the heckling from the sidelines, I woul happily re-watch with the mic solely on MJF the whole show! 

When they started to unmask his voice (and this can be blamed on my Irishness and lack of ear for American accents), but I started to think it was Kazarian's voice, and with only him being alongside CD, I thought there was a big old swerve coming. 

Hardy posing at the end lost a lot with the lack of a crowd. Maybe they could have wired him up for that? 

Were they teasing OC dissension with best friends? He seemed to be throwing some "what was that?" arms to them after the match. 

Jericho on commentary never gets old. He gets everyone over while staying in character ❤️

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Brodie here. I'm in agreement over the gear not being a great choice but he's got a lot of talent and he gets to speak so how hard do they run with this?

I've actually never seen 'Luke Harper', but I thought that promo was strong and look forward to him getting an opportunity to be a huge player.  Modifications of the uniform are necessary.

6 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Really good show. It made Kip Sabian and Shawn Spears seem interesting. That's no mean feat.

Yeah, all these guys around ring made for a lot of fun.  Felt golden era seeing the camraderie.  Especially the heels.  And I continue to be very excited seeing Colt Cabana getting a fair shot and killing it.  

We seem to agree, all things considered, this was a really terrific broadcast.  I think we also (mostly) agree - this thing really oughtta shut down until things are under control.  Further, I don't feel comfortable with 10 guys going into a cage and bleeding.  I don't need that kind of entertainment right now. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I'm still laughing to myself thinking of Chuck standing there, wheels turning in his head where he can say literally anything, and he goes, "YOU THINK YOU CAN KICK MY FRIEND IN THE DICK?!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

jungle boys dive/no dive at the end of his match

I am a huge Jungle Boy fan and recognize this sort of miscommunication can happen, but I couldn't help but laugh my ass off watching Jake Roberts in the background holding his head down and covering his face to avoid being shown corpsing at that botch.

• Haha 3

That reminds me of Trent's attempted "dive" to someone out on the heel side of the ring where MJF and others started talking shit to Trent about his "dive."

Also, Trent shouldn't even do a tope suicida anymore. He should just do the whole run to the ropes, step through the ropes, and then jump onto someone on the outside every time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just echoing everyone's thoughts on how well done the show was.  How does WWE have so many allegedly creative people on the payroll and not come up with anything comparable?   They did one empty arena show and then threw in the towel.  Real creative narcissism on Vince's part, like "this show sucks so it must mean empty arena shows are terrible by nature."  As opposed to, you know, maybe he just doesn't have good ideas on how to do it.

What's cool was Brodie Lee doing the setup for the Sister Abigail before transitioning it to a different move.  Rolling elbow?  spinning clothesline?  I was coronavirus stress drinking so my memory is hazy.

Sucks that, while plugging the next show, it seems they took great pains to NOT say "next week"  They just kept saying "on the next Dynamite."  Damn.  

Love the Murderhawk mansion skit.  I think the ring announcer may have been Wee Man from Jackass.  As someone else mentioned, with the mansion and the Hardy Compound, they now have two alternate sites for shows.  Hell, go ahead and film in the Bucks' backyard.  This is turning into the In your House Sega game.  too bad the Reseda Legion Hall is gone.

Chuck Taylor is hilarious.  "kicked my friend in the dick!"  "A streetfight......in a real street!"

Colt was equally funny.  "I am also a wrestler, you know!"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I think it's dumb af to continue trying to run under these conditions.  I watched a few bits and pieces and read the recap on Meltzer's site, but it's hard to enjoy anything right now and I don't have much interest in someone trying to run a live show.

That said, the show looked and sounded suprisingly good.  Definitely better than the WWE shows from the performance center.

As someone who thinks Brodie Lee is basically just average, Lee/Harper being revealed as the Exalted One was underwhelming when Matt Hardy was right there.

Dude wash those big black rings around your emo eyes off, put your hardy boy ripped sleeves on and go watch the show. 

• Haha 2

I am pro Kevin Nash style top on Brodie Lee, in terms of form and shape. The design however was where the issue lies. Maybe white lining around the logo or a different shade of purple would do it justice. I like the idea of a lot of visible chest. Give it a week or two and they’ll pretty it up. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm still laughing to myself thinking of Chuck standing there, wheels turning in his head where he can say literally anything, and he goes, "YOU THINK YOU CAN KICK MY FRIEND IN THE DICK?!"

Tha l god I'm not the only one that caught that. I'm surprised that didnt get edited. It made me think I was listening to a Conrad podcast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

By the way credit to Janela for singing Baltimora Tarzan Boy to rally Jurassic Express.  

I love Sammy's work as a flunky second, he is very hateable.  The pose on Hager while doing the push up and the teasing them swapping positions was great.

I do love the vignettes they are doing with Darby and now archer, it is different and breaks up the sameness of everyone's promos.

And yes, having guys out there helps.

Also the chryon about hangman social distancing since November deserves a chef's kiss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

How does WWE have so many allegedly creative people on the payroll and not come up with anything comparable?   They did one empty arena show and then threw in the towel.  Real creative narcissism on Vince's part, like "this show sucks so it must mean empty arena shows are terrible by nature."  As opposed to, you know, maybe he just doesn't have good ideas on how to do it.

Leave it to Vince to not consider putting the other wrestlers in the audience. Because in WWE kayfabe all the wrestlers hate each other and fans are the dummies that give him money. 

• Like 3