DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/18/2020

Dolfan in NYC

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe it's just cause I just watched a boxing event on Friday night with only "essential personnel" where there was clearly 2 or 3 long rows of what consisted of family members and commission members seated side by side, but how can someone (Ryan Satin) act like the people in charge are just a bunch of six year olds displaying extremely poor judgement? Therefore, no need to talk down to them as if you give a fuck about any of the parties involved. If they didn't know the potential consequences of doing this by now and/or weren't planning to make necessary changes if need be, they wouldn't be running tonight. Last I checked, this motherfucker don't run AEW or somehow in charge of any type of decision making. Pro wrestling is not some monolith.

AEW should've taken the precaution of inviting Satin to the taping because the coronavirus would've contracted him and died.

Edited by sabremike
  • Haha 3

Fun show.  Some excellent promos (Jake, Cody, Taylor etc.).  And quality action.

Are they legally obligated to do Blood n Guts by a certain date?  Postpone that shit.  As they should have postponed the Hardy and Lee debuts.  I have to assume there's a reason, and they really did a great job with what they had.  

2 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Brodie Lee was cool until he disrobed and his ring gear was some shit an early 2000's Kevin Nash wannabe would wear. Nobody is scared of Big Daddy NuGrape.

So funny, so true.  Loved the promo tho.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

That Jake promo and vignette complete with WCW '93 stylin' little person fucking ruled hard. Loved it. 

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Brodie here. I'm in agreement over the gear not being a great choice but he's got a lot of talent and he gets to speak so how hard do they run with this?

Main event was a good match and I liked the Hardy debut. Would've been a lot nicer to have an arena full of fans chanting along with the delete stuff but here we are.

Better than I expected but the matches were just kind of there outside of the main event. I am still not loving them running shows though.

• Like 1

Given the circumstances, this was as good a show as I could possibly ask for. I'm not sure it can hold up for weeks upon weeks without getting stale, but they delivered a hell of a show tonight, all things considered.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I kinda wanted the announce team to be quiet so I could hear what guys like Daniels, Colt, and MJF were shouting from ringside. That seems like it'd be way more entertaining.

JR seemed extra grumpy at points.

I loved the vignette wit Archer and Jake...   Jake looking on sinister like in the distance..    his fucking promo ruled too.  But then they go and have the Matt Hardy reveal and the Vanguard1 spot with Jericho's reaction played out like a movie filmed on live television..  the whole production of this episode was outstanding.  So much good shit. 

But you know what else? They let the performers be themselves!  MJF was hilarious all night.  I think at one point he yelled "Hey I got 200 on you Tarzan, show me something!" ?

And then Sammy and MJF doing karaoke to Judas playing out like "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"  from  Top Gun.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

It made Kip Sabian and Shawn Spears seem interesting. That's no mean feat.

It's amazing how much more interesting Kip and Penelope are with him as the valet. I'm not saying she's a better wrestler than he is, clearly she isn't, but the act just seems so much more fun this way.

• Like 5

All complaints and issues about running a show tonight aside, is it weird that I thought tonight's show was the best produced and best looking show (from a TV standpoint) that AEW has ever done?

Like everything just looked and came off great tonight other than the lack of a live audience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

All complaints and issues about running a show tonight aside, is it weird that I thought tonight's show was the best produced and best looking show (from a TV standpoint) that AEW has ever done?

Like everything just looked and came off great tonight other than the lack of a live audience.

Well, it definitely had less "missing moves because we are looking at the audience."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, it definitely had less "missing moves because we are looking at the audience."

But the way they did some transitions moving to the big screen for video and stuff for camera shots I thought looked really slick.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Shouldn't he want people to get sick so he can pester and harass hospital staff so he can get that big scoop if the guy died?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I think these aew and wwe shows the last few days shouldn’t have been done, and it’s only a matter of days for wrestlers to start testing positive. But this dudes tweets are so incredibly lame. Like, incredibly lame. I know he’s on the payroll, but hundreds of people are on the payroll and they aren’t doing these lame ass tweets. I’m not publicly criticizing my employer, no problem there, but attacking the competition is hilarious here. Have fun at both nights of wrestlemania. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Here's my basic thought process. Should wrestling or live wrestling events even be happening right now due to the health, safety, and risk to the performers? IMHO, fair point. 

However, coming from Ryan Satin, who I rarely if ever  see criticize WWE, it lacks a certain level of credibility. He works for FOX Sports and does their WWE coverage for them. Not to mention, how is what AEW is doing any different than what WWE has done at the Performance Center?

He never once pointed out the dangers of that Stone Cold beer bash segment. Not to mention you had Street Profits spitting beer all over each other and Austin and Austin just spitting in general. Not to mention, Lawler working the event and the announcers being in close proximity to each other. Not a peep on that.

Also, WrestleMania is also moving forward. The wrestlers being in the ring with each other and grappling and wrestling I would assume is far more risky than the wrestlers sitting at the guard rail and not touching each other. The argument seems completely lost when making these tweets.

Edited by TheVileOne

In retrospect, bringing Lawler to RAW probably is the least defensible move either company has done in this. A 70 year old man with past heart problems should not be going through airports right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

In retrospect, bringing Lawler to RAW probably is the least defensible move either company has done in this. A 70 year old man with past heart problems should not be going through airports right now.

Has Satin said a thing about this? I know Wade Keller did. I didn't see Satin tweeting about this or the beer bash.

Also, what about the freaking Undertaker? I know he's not in his 60s yet, but dude already looks like he should be nowhere near a ring let alone during a viral pandemic. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't want to be that guy...   but AEW is just such a better run company than WWE from a creative standpoint.

I don't think there's anyone on the board that would argue this point. Even the people who aren't enjoying Dynamite as much as most will concede that they're blowing WWE out of the water right now.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Maybe this was why I enjoyed the show so much this week? Crowd reaction shots need to be excised from all professional wrestling shows. One of the worst (if not THE worst) bad habits they've picked up from WWE.

Good show all around, worked very well around limitations, etc. Show should NOT have taken place and should NOT be taking place next week or any subsequent weeks until this shit is under control. Obviously that's true of WWE too and Satin is a vulture, but I don't see how it's debatable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I liked Lee's fake out of the Sister Abigail.

Jake & Archer at the Murder Mansion w/ Hornswaggle is exactly what The Wyatt Family should have been. 

Wasn't Swoggle. He has long hair now and looks a lot like AJ Styles.

latest?cb=20181116191353

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

I don't know if this will get me looked down upon but Satin needs to shut up.  If these guys weren't at ringside together, they'd be in the back together or at home together or wherever together.  I definitely believe we are in a major, major situation but this is just whining, in my book.  By his advice, wrestling shouldn't be happening period since that isn't social distancing.  

It shouldn't be happening. If one person ends up being positive for that virus, you put everyone who uses the ring that night and in the locker room at risk. The risk isn't worth it for them, or WWE, or whoever else is running these empty arena shows worldwide. 

The problem with Satin making that tweet is he actually appears on WWE television. If Bix had done it (although he never would, unless he found a way to shit on WWE while doing it), it would have flown under the radar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1