DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/18/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, notoriusvig said:

The big factor I got out of it was that it felt much more lively than the shit WWE has been putting on.  RAW and SD felt soulless and lifeless, and this didn't. 

The WWE needs to learn something from this show on how to present their product going forward.

a) That's every show.

b) They'll never learn. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So much less awkward than the WWE shows and much more enjoyable. Broken Matt's appearance was the one part I wish could've had a crowd reaction. I wanted Dustin to be the replacement partner but figured it would definitely be Moxley after his earlier promo. Blood & Guts is the one thing I wish they could postpone, just to see a proper War Games again finally, in the right kind of setting/atmosphere with this build.

All the matches were pretty good. Despite a couple missteps, the womens 4 way was a fun 5 minute sprint. Penelope missed the diving rana but her later reverse rana was aces. Shida looks great again and good to see Riho back on Dynamite. Tags were solid and set up some neat stuff for next week too. the Archer vignette felt very Lucha Underground esque to me, that kind of stuff is the great kind of character building to fill some time. I love Jake the Snake finally having a regular role in wrestling again. 

• Like 2

So they decided to 

PULL THE CAMERAS IN TIGHT ON THE ACTION

DARKEN THE FUCKING SEATS

PUT SOMEBODY AT RINGSIDE

and it worked. 

Who would have thought? Certainly not the competition. 

Anyway, the spraypaint Inner Circle shirt reminds me of the cover of Zoetrope's Amnesty album. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I liked Brodie Lee's shot at Vince by saying Christopher Daniels was another old man that didn't believe him and Excalibur making reference to Lee's "Big Rig" gimmick. There's already two Brodie Lee shirts up for sale, I'm torn on which one to get. There's also two Matt Hardy shirts up for sale already.

aew1257-t.png 

aew1256-t.png

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I loved how they not only put guys at ringside to create noise, but then took it to the next level and used it shoot angles and do bits throughout the show.

This was a really strong first effort at this type of show, and if (CDC willing) they get to keep making more of these, I bet they’re going to get really freaking good at it.

• Like 3

Blood & Guts at the Hardy Compound, make it happen goddamnit. I don't care what kayfabe reason they come up with, but it needs to happen somehow.

If you aren't going to do it infront of fans, then just go full on wacky with it.

Lucha Bros vs Best Friends can happen in Matt Hardy's driveway. Wardlow vs Luchasaurus can happen with literal lumberjacks surrounding the ring, on break from their job of taking down a tree or two that Matt paid them to remove. I'm assuming Cabana/Kip will happen too, and if you're going to do a comedy match, why not have it in the backyard of a famous wrestler's house?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm hoping we get something like BTE where it's not necessarily the same inside joke humor, but it's more storylines being woven backstage where they then lead to matches in the ring. That and darken the seats, spotlight the ring, maybe even have wrestlers from the back come out to watch matches, and stuff like that.

Ahem

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So do you think Spears and MJF were drinking shoot wine, and MJF switched to water at the end because of his low tolerance, or did they put blackcurrant juice in an empty wine bottle so as not to mess with Jake's sobriety? Because they were acting pretty tipsy by the end of the show... maybe they're just good actors?

20 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Let's go masked guys!

Gambling and drinking at ringside.

Paying Butcher and Blade to beat up Jurassic Express.

MJF is a national treasure and needs to be protected at all costs. Also: Fuck them kids.

What I did expect was Brodie Lee and Matt Hardy eventually showing up.

What I didn't expect was ANOTHER SHADOW in an AEW thread. 

two-doinks.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

This episode turned out better than I thought it would. Having even a little noise at ringside makes a huge difference and MJF cracked me up a couple of times Statler and Waldorfing the action single handedly. Odd beginning but the presentation turned out alright all things considered, and the matches were pretty good too. If this is the norm for the foreseeable future I can handle it.

• Like 1

I guess AEW can afford to do a main event like that with more than 10 people around ringside in close distance. None of the health experts are watching. Jericho was outstanding on commentary during that match.

Fun show overall. Lookng forward to seeing Archer and Brodie Lee shine. Matt Hardy not so much.

29 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

This show was the epitome of being handed lemons and making lemonade.  I thought AEW was going to die a death without fans to cater to, and this was far and away the least depressing live show of any kind I've seen.

Referring to the next show as "on the next Dynamite" is an ominous sign though.

Given that GCW is doing a live show from an undisclosed location (cue EY joke) tomorrow streaming on IWTV that honor is likely to be short lived.

Idk why they wouldn't put Mox in that fifth Elite spot, unless he really is hurt, which wouldn't shock me. Matt is running on empty in-ring, and has been for some time. Fantastic presentation, all things considered. Once again, the guys who have fun at work flat out smoke the guys on the other channel trying to build Triple H's internet cred...

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

Idk why they wouldn't put Mox in that fifth Elite spot, unless he really is hurt, which wouldn't shock me. Matt is running on empty in-ring, and has been for some time. Fantastic presentation, all things considered. Once again, the guys who have fun at work flat out smoke the guys on the other channel trying to build Triple H's internet cred...

Honestly, I'm not worried about Matt in-ring.  Jericho is nearly 5 years older and he has done fine, and he isn't wrestling like he did twenty years ago either.  In a match like B&G, they can hide Hardy real well, and he won't come close to taking anything away from the match.  For christ sake, Hager's in the match too, and he ain't exactly Bret Hart.

• Like 3

I don't know if this will get me looked down upon but Satin needs to shut up.  If these guys weren't at ringside together, they'd be in the back together or at home together or wherever together.  I definitely believe we are in a major, major situation but this is just whining, in my book.  By his advice, wrestling shouldn't be happening period since that isn't social distancing.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

I don't know if this will get me looked down upon but Satin needs to shut up.  If these guys weren't at ringside together, they'd be in the back together or at home together or wherever together.  I definitely believe we are in a major, major situation but this is just whining, in my book.  By his advice, wrestling shouldn't be happening period since that isn't social distancing.  

If CM Punk is a WWE employee in some people's minds, then Ryan Satin definitely is too, so...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Brodie Lee was cool until he disrobed and his ring gear was some shit an early 2000's Kevin Nash wannabe would wear. Nobody is scared of Big Daddy NuGrape.

It seemed similar to the Bludgeon Brothers gear to me.