DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/18/2020

Dolfan in NYC

So AEW is running behind closed doors  The card:

• The Butcher & The Blade W/The Bunny vs Jurassic Express w/Marko Stunt
  • Best Friends vs Lucha Brothers
  • The Elite vs Inner Circle For The Advantage in next week's Blood & Guts Match
  • Matt Hardy Debuts, er...  The Exalted One Will Be Revealed

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It looks like a solid card. I'm curious as to where the show will be taking place (QT Marshall's wrestling school maybe?). 

I thought it's at Daily's Place.

I'm hoping we get something like BTE where it's not necessarily the same inside joke humor, but it's more storylines being woven backstage where they then lead to matches in the ring. That and darken the seats, spotlight the ring, maybe even have wrestlers from the back come out to watch matches, and stuff like that.

Yeah I don't think any of the talent is going to come and watch matches from the seats or ringside. It sounds like a lot of them are staying at home.

EDIT: Well, I guess I’m eating my words on that one.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

In terms of presentation, they're smoking the WWE shows. Having the hard cam opposite the stage and the big pyro gives the illusion that this is a big deal, as does the big room. The ambiance and bits everyone's doing at ringside is helping too.

Still utterly joyless. But if they insist on doing it, they're putting the other guys to shame. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

In terms of presentation, they're smoking the WWE shows. Having the hard cam opposite the stage and the big pyro gives the illusion that this is a big deal, as does the big room. The ambiance and bits everyone's doing at ringside is helping too.

Still utterly joyless. But if they insist on doing it, they're putting the other guys to shame. 

At least it's something to try and distract from life for two hours.

This show was the epitome of being handed lemons and making lemonade.  I thought AEW was going to die a death without fans to cater to, and this was far and away the least depressing live show of any kind I've seen.

Referring to the next show as "on the next Dynamite" is an ominous sign though.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

This show was the epitome of being handed lemons and making lemonade.  I thought AEW was going to die a death without fans to cater to, and this was far and away the least depressing live show of any kind I've seen.

Referring to the next show as "on the next Dynamite" is an ominous sign though.

My guess is they're hedging bets if the feds cancel everything for a few weeks.

• Like 1

Pretty decent show, given the circumstances.  The big factor I got out of it was that it felt much more lively than the shit WWE has been putting on.  RAW and SD felt soulless and lifeless, and this didn't.  They kept the lights down and had the other wrestlers cheering which made it louder, and it was pretty suffice.  If this is how they do it for a couple months, it won't feel too awkward.

None of the matches were too amazing but they were all pretty solid.  The debuts of Hardy and Lee were great but it would have been a LOT more memorable with a real audience, but those are the breaks.  Brodie Lee's outfit was terrible, I thought but everything with the Dark Order looked good.

MJF and Spears gambling was great.  Most of the little things they added as filler like that were fun, along with the Schiavone interviews.  The WWE needs to learn something from this show on how to present their product going forward.

• Like 5