DVDVR Message Board

Kung Fu Movie Review

Execproducer

It is I, JT!  Your resident Tubi ambassador!

Experience my reconnection with my childhood during last year's Kung Fu Movie Review project and watch Kill Or Be Killed & Kill and Kill Again featuring the amazing JAMES MOTHER FUCKING RYAN~! on Tubi while you are suffering through this COVID-19 lockdown.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, OSJ said:

No one reviewed 5 Masters of Death or Deathmask of the Ninja? Seems odd.

We tried to keep the selections limited to films that were fairly accessible.  I think we lucked out that someone out there had posted nearly every Carl Scott joint out there for someone to be able to pick Soul Brother of Kung Fu.

I am sure that I am only one of five North Americans that has copies of Deathmask of the Ninja or Secret Service of the Imperial Court  on DVD.

Also, I think we're attempting to stick to kung fu movies only this time around.  No jidaigeki / ninja movies.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Also, I think we're attempting to stick to kung fu movies only this time around.  No jidaigeki / ninja movies.

That's some bullshit!
You mean I just rewatched all of The Master for nothing?

James

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

14 minutes ago, J.H. said:

That's some bullshit!
You mean I just rewatched all of The Master for nothing?

James

Maybe you guys should actually read the first page. I'm allowing samurai films as bonus reviews only. I was considering allowing them as picks but there are 6 or 7 of us at best that have expressed interest in participating this year. And ninja films imo fit this thing anyway. At last count, I had about 131 samurai films so I'm probably going to try to knock out a couple of bonus myself.

Edited by Execproducer

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 2:54 PM, Execproducer said:

Maybe you guys should actually read the first page. I'm allowing samurai films as bonus reviews only.

I blame my inattentiveness on the COVID-19 lockdown.  Also, Wong Fei Hung was not Japanese.  I think you could probably have a project on nothing but jidaigeki and wouldn't terribly mind if this years Kung Fu project was entirely composed of Kung Fu movie reviews.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I blame my inattentiveness on the COVID-19 lockdown.  Also, Wong Fei Hung was not Japanese.  I think you could probably have a project on nothing but jidaigeki and wouldn't terribly mind if this years Kung Fu project was entirely composed of Kung Fu movie reviews.

I think the problem is HH, CC, and Ernie Ladd follow each other pretty closely and Ernie Ladd probably suffered for it this year. I did want to do that edged weapons theme but I'm not sure where it would fit on the calendar.

I am already thinking next year of not doing Ernie Ladd and replacing it with a Summer Blockbuster themed one in like July (this year will have the Best of the 2010s so we already have a distraction)

• Like 1

Summer Blockbuster would be great. Ernie Ladd would be missed though.

EDIT: One problem with Summer Blockbuster is access to the films though, because if you are missing a certain streaming service(s) you better have the physical media.

Edited by Curt McGirt

4 hours ago, Execproducer said:

I think the problem is HH, CC, and Ernie Ladd follow each other pretty closely and Ernie Ladd probably suffered for it this year. I did want to do that edged weapons theme but I'm not sure where it would fit on the calendar.

Given we just had Mifune’s 100th birthday, maybe we should have switched Kung Fu for Samurai movies. ?

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Given we just had Mifune’s 100th birthday, maybe we should have switched Kung Fu for Samurai movies. ?

I'm not sure there are enough readily available to make that a worthwhile endeavor. That is why, if I run that theme, it'll include swashbucklers, peplums, sword & sorcery, etc.

22 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I'm not sure there are enough readily available to make that a worthwhile endeavor. That is why, if I run that theme, it'll include swashbucklers, peplums, sword & sorcery, etc.

Heck, TCM and Criterion probably showed enough of them yesterday to cover one of these projects. 

With all due respect to Akira Kurosawa there is a helluva lot more to it than just his films.

Hmmmm...I was going to be snarky and say "what if I picked Female Demon Ohyaku? Who'd be able to find it?"  Then I found it on Archive.org. I suppose a straight samurai theme would be possible after all.

Edited by Execproducer

1 minute ago, Execproducer said:

The TCM deal was all Kurosawa.

That’s why I said TCM and Criterion. 

I guess the question of availability is always an issue with these, since most of us participating in these things are aware of the obvious choices and may try and go too obscure and then you can’t find the choice. I mean, that happened with that French Xmas I wanted to do last year (which I had seen in a French film class in grad school) but I recall it being really obscure (why I didn’t pick it, even though you did a bonus review IIRC). 

im sure a samurai effort would go deeper than Kurosawa, The Samauri Trilogy and the Lone Wolf and Cub box set. ?