DVDVR Message Board

Kung Fu Movie Review

Execproducer

8 hours ago, lostinube said:

At least on Netflix in Japan, Deathmask (had on Beta back in the day with the very misleading clamshell case) is available under it's original title, Shaolin Prince.

Eh, either the other princes are dead or just got passed over and don't care. I'm assuming the emperor in the film is a brother of the 9th Prince. Some people just can't settle for a sedan chair with swords in it.

Trust me on this, if I were fortunate enough to have a sedan chair and guys to lug it around you can bet your bottom dollar that I would have swords in the motherfucker.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lostinube said:

At least on Netflix in Japan, Deathmask (had on Beta back in the day with the very misleading clamshell case) is available under it's original title, Shaolin Prince.

It's also on El Rey's regular Sunday Kung Fu Theater rotation as Shaolin Prince.  I think I watch it at least once a month.

Criterion added a bunch of Jackie Chan films, so I ask you gentlemen for your thoughts on these:

THE FEARLESS HYENA

THE YOUNG MASTER

SPIRITUAL KUNG FU

MY LUCKY STARS

HALF A LOAF OF KUNG FU

Edited by Control

My Lucky Stars is more of a Sammo Hung film than a Chan film. Jackie is in the beginning then disappears for the bulk of the film, until the final act. Still a fun watch if you have acquired the taste for Hong Kong humor. Of the other four, The Young Master is probably my favorite early period Jackie film, even over Drunken Master and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. The other three have their moments but are otherwise non-essential. Well, maybe definitely check out The Fearless Hyena which was also Jackie's directorial debut.

• Like 2

Fearless Hyena uses the Drunken Master template but it's worth seeing at least once for the "Emotional kung-fu" part.

My Lucky Stars was the first official movie in the Lucky Stars series. As Execproducer says above, Jackie isn't in it for much of the film since the focus is on the other characters. He and Yuen Biao were usually in the movies to add action as the other leads aside from Sammo Hung are there for the comedy aspect.

The precursor to the Lucky Stars movies, Winners and Sinners has more Jackie in it, I think. At the very least, it has this:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...