DVDVR Message Board

Kung Fu Movie Review

Execproducer

I will just say that interest in Ernie Ladd was way down - both in participation and bonus reviews.

Granted circumstances have changed over the last 2 months but I am not sure if that will make it better or worse

I will not participate since I still have to finish my Ernie Ladd review that I have been staring at 1/2 written for a month now because I can't get in the right mindset.

I doubt I'll do the swordplay theme that I had in mind until this subject is exhausted. So probably never. With that said, this year I'll allow chanbara films though my preference would be that they were bonus reviews instead of picks. I won't take more than two samurai picks.

Let's go ahead and make this official. We have five that expressed interest so we'll roll with that number. Samurai films for bonus reviews only. Deadline for picks will be a leisurely April 15 but if they are in before that, and it doesn't look like anyone else wants to jump in, we'll start sooner.

• Like 1

If I get my act together - I might do a bonus review or two (since I had a couple sitting around from last year) but there is no way I want to be responsible for selecting and getting a selection

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I'm going to start writing my bonus reviews for next year's  Ernie Ladd soon. Assuming I still have a roof over my head by the time February rolls around.

I hope you're joking about that, man.

I will clean up my bonus review for Last Hurrah in advance of this year's thread.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

My pick will kinda look like a cop-out, but it is a movie that we didn't talk about last time that needs inclusion.

Someone took my back up pick from last year and I can it being your choice. 

Plenty of time for anyone to jump into this. If I get all picks in before the April 15th deadline I'll make an announcement and we'll give it another couple of days to see if anyone else wants to join. I have two picks already so we might start well before the cut-off.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What were the prior picks?

Picks:                                                                                                                                                     Bonus:

The Magnificent Butcher                                                                                                                   The Grandmaster

Incredible Kung Fu Mission                                                                                                              Soul Brothers of Kung Fu                                                                                                         

The Last Dragon                                                                                                                                 A Hard Way to Die 

Merantau                                                                                                                                             Drive

The Octagon                                                                                                                                       The Street Fighter

Five Elements Ninja                                                                                                                          Enter The Ninja

Revenge of the Ninja                                                                                                                        Ninja 3: The Domination

The Miracle Fighters                                                                                                                        The Super Infra-Man

Against the Drunken Cats Paws                                                                                                    Gymkata                                                                         

The Kid With the Golden Arm                                                                                                        Kill Or Be Killed

The Prodigal Son                                                                                                                             Kill And Kill Again

Wheels on Meals                                                                                                                             Drunken Master II

Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan                                                                          Martial Club

Royal Warriors

A total of 27 films reviewed*. Likely going to remain the high mark for this type of project.  There were also many other films referenced in the thread so it is fertile ground for picks.

*The Street Fighter was reviewed twice for a total of 28.

Edited by Execproducer
  • Like 1