DVDVR Message Board

SDL is PC -3/13/2020

Dolfan in NYC

First time watching SmackDown since the debut on Fox. I was interested in what SmackDown would look like. It was really good.

I will say though it was strange seeing wrestling in front of an empty studio. I'm really hoping that in a few weeks they start wrestling in front of crowds at the PC looks like it would hold a few hundred people. I understand playing it safe with not having gatherings of thousands of people but once we get . ahang of this thing 300 people at a thing should happen. we need to get back to normal as soon as we can without the risk of mass infection. I'll step off my soap box.

The opening tag was really fun. Bryan and Casero was fun, Hardy-Corbin was short. It was cool to watch the EC Tag in full again. It was really good. Miz and Morrisons promo was a good way to follow up the match. Strange to see them back together, they haven't skipped a beat. I have a feeling Gronk and Mojo are gonna challenge for the tag straps at some point.

Cena's promo was great. One of the better Cena promos I've seen. Intense and focused. Bray's promo was also really good. Bray is great. I'm looking forward to Cena-Fiend, Roman Goldberg not so much.

This was an excellent show.  I loved Bayley and Sasha yelling at people who weren't there and cupping their ears.  I loved Nikki Cross trying to hype up the crowd.  

Triple H might be the best commentator they have right now, he was awesome..  far better than Graves anyway.  

Roman's sit down interview was solid.  

I'm going to enjoy the hell out of Bryan/Gulak fighting it out with "The Artist Collective"  that feels like some Smackdown Six era shit..  

Lastly,   John Cena's promo followed by Bray's was a great segment.   Bray got real dark real quick at the end there.  

I guess I'll be the one in the minority and say that I didn't think this was good at all. Losing the crowd had more of an effect that I thought it would on me and I have no idea what that's going to mean for Raw, Dynamite, and NXT since they'll all be in front of empty seats. It's just really weird and part of it has to do with how this was filmed. I mentioned it already, but wrestlers avoiding eye contact with the camera and acting like they're talking to a crowd that isn't there because that's what they've been programmed to do is incredibly fucking weird. It felt a lot like what I imagine promo classes are where you go out and act like you're talking to people that aren't there. A few times it was cute, but it was mostly strange. Losing the crowd took a lot out of what looked like perfectly fine matches. And I didn't care for re-watching the tag EC match.

HHH was a lot of fun though, and he looked like he was making the most of it. I kinda wish Michael Cole was less Michael Cole and was a bit more laid back instead of ALWAYS TALKING IN A LOUD VOICE. Like, dial it back a notch, ok?

Roman's promo was...fine. I'm not all that interested in watching him run through an old man, but it is what it is. The Cena promo was better though, but I wish it was Cena wrestling for the title.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

It is extremely fucking weird that even with this setting...the wrestlers don't talk into the camera when they're ringside. Seriously. What the fuck.

These are people that watch monitors and TV at such weird angles that it looks like they behind the TV sometimes.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

I guess I'll be the one in the minority and say that I didn't think this was good at all. Losing the crowd had more of an effect that I thought it would on me and I have no idea what that's going to mean for Raw, Dynamite, and NXT since they'll all be in front of empty seats. It's just really weird and part of it has to do with how this was filmed.

Agreed.  I thought it was interesting, but not overly watchable.  Personally, I';d prefer they fill time slots with old ppv's and Takeovers or something similar.

It is what it is, though.  I don't think it will last long.  Sooner or later, someone tests positive and the roster is quarantined or sponsors get jumpy because it looks bad to be virtually the only company in the world holding live events.

I tuned in for the weirdness and enjoyed it on that level. I hope this is all short term but it will be interesting to see what they do with these no audience shows if they have to run 7 hours of wrestling a week (8 if they keep 205) for a month. Personally, I hope they get the okay to run high school gyms and cultural centers soon.

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

It is what it is, though.  I don't think it will last long.  Sooner or later, someone tests positive and the roster is quarantined or sponsors get jumpy because it looks bad to be virtually the only company in the world holding live events.

Holy shit. I know what this reminds me of now.970368.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5