DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/11/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Really enjoyed the episode. I liked Christopher Daniels promo and Jericho mocking Page with the beer only to walk right into him. 

Janela is annoying. Death Triangle should have murked them. 

I love how AEW has so many interwoven storylines, feels like everything means more. 

I really liked the show. Pretty much standard fare for them. I think the only thing I didn't dig was the weak way Lance Archer debuted. I was hoping for something more, but AEW is more slow burn than hot shot.

The positivity surrounding this episode has me thinking I should check this out again.  Last couple weeks are my first live watches, and the commercials and  subsequent wait time has my patience low.  That said...

I dug the opener, but would have liked more of a struggle to the ropes and pull back before the tap.    Unlike some, I loved Archer debuting like this.  He looked cool with Jake.  And dangerous in his near takedown.  Loved it.

I wasn’t so into the women’s tag.  Might be worth another look.  I also thought the Baker promo was a bit repetitive.  Also, bad idea cutting to fat and odd looking ppl as she’s burying the crowd.  Makes the company look like the heel.  That said  it was kinda mean spirited funny

Death Triangle rules.  Loved hearing a chant to begin.  Awesome crowd in Salt Lake.  But yeah, they should’ve killed those ‘fruit booties’.

I didn’t dislike the Jurassix and Team MJeff, but it felt a bit sloppy.  It lacked something for me.  Also, Friedman needs a better set up for his finisher.  I don’t entirely buy him as an arm breaker finish kinda guy.

Mox’s promo was good.  Dustin’s too, but bad mystery partner reveal.  Match was solid.  

Overall just didn’t capture my interest like most weeks.  But I’ll try and take a commercials-less view and see if it goes any better.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

29 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The positivity surrounding this episode has me thinking I should check this out again.  Last couple weeks are my first live watches, and the commercials and  subsequent wait time has my patience low.  That said...

I dug the opener, but would have liked more of a struggle to the ropes and pull back before the tap.    Unlike some, I loved Archer debuting like this.  He looked cool with Jake.  And dangerous in his near takedown.  Loved it.

I wasn’t so into the women’s tag.  Might be worth another look.  I also thought the Baker promo was a bit repetitive.  Also, bad idea cutting to fat and odd looking ppl as she’s burying the crowd.  Makes the company look like the heel.  That said  it was kinda mean spirited funny

Death Triangle rules.  Loved hearing a chant to begin.  Awesome crowd in Salt Lake.  But yeah, they should’ve killed those ‘fruit booties’.

I didn’t dislike the Jurassix and Team MJeff, but it felt a bit sloppy.  It lacked something for me.  Also, Friedman needs a better set up for his finisher.  I don’t entirely buy him as an arm breaker finish kinda guy.

Mox’s promo was good.  Dustin’s too, but bad mystery partner reveal.  Match was solid.  

Overall just didn’t capture my interest like most weeks.  But I’ll try and take a commercials-less view and see if it goes any better.

You don’t need a set up to make it believable that MJF could tap out a 5 foot tall 85 lb kid. It should be easy.

Good show, not much at all bad to say about it. 

The stuff I'd classify as "bad" that was still not awful:

JR said "medical facility."  Working for Vince has ruined him.  ?

Anticlimactic, low key debut for Archer. 

Also anticlimactic was Dustin as the mystery partner.  I mean not "Higher Power" level disappointing, but still.

Not enough offense from Fenix.  I always look forward to his insane shit.

Still not feeling Luchasaurus' "built like Sid, works like Stan Lane" offense

Good stuff:

I thought it was a little refreshing that Death Triangle didn't murder their opponents in a minute.  It makes sense in that it's supposed to be booked more like a sport.  Even the lower card guys aren't totally untalented, useless goofs.

I liked the other six man as well but I agree with @HarryArchieGus about MJF not really being a Fujiwara armbar guy.  Who was it who said some time ago, "I'm a  heel, my finisher is a rollup."

Cool that THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST has become Santana and Ortiz's actual catchphrase now

Pentagon's half Venom mask rules

Fun angle coming out of the women's match.  Cool way to make titles feel valuable.

Baker was amazing.  Swoll was above average.

• Like 2

I will say I wound up rewatching Dynamite because I watched it live on one monitor while playing D&D with friends on my other monitor. It's hard to focus on two things at once...Anyway, on first watch, not being able to pay full attention, I wasn't feeling the episode. On re-watch, I enjoyed everything more. We're still in a rebuilding phase coming off of the PPV, but that's fine. I expect this will be the flow of things from here on out where they build things to a fever pitch 2 months before the PPV and before that is all table setting.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bryan said:

You don’t need a set up to make it believable that MJF could tap out a 5 foot tall 85 lb kid. It should be easy.

Ha, timing of the comment deserves that reaction, but it wasn’t t so much a believability issue with Marko.  I just find the move as he’s been doing it feels like it leads to a flat finish.  It’s not so bad.  I’d just like to see a nice set-up to it.  Or rather a more suitable finish for Maxwell.  Something like a ddt or a diamond cutter.  Out of nowhere.  I like cross arm breaker as a finish, but for a shooter type.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Still not feeling Luchasaurus' "built like Sid, works like Stan Lane" offense

The perfect description. Holy shit. I don't think it's a lack of athleticism as much as it is him not being able to throw worked kicks well. I'd rather him err on the side of caution than giving everybody concussions, but maybe don't do stuff you can't do well 99% of the time. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

Pentagon being so invested in making sure he gets a bite of their vanquished foes ear is pretty fucking excellent silliness.

It's angry and fucked up and totally awful of him to do, and I enjoy every second of it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The perfect description. Holy shit. I don't think it's a lack of athleticism as much as it is him not being able to throw worked kicks well. I'd rather him err on the side of caution than giving everybody concussions, but maybe don't do stuff you can't do well 99% of the time. 

yeah man it's just...come on, the guy is among the biggest on the roster.  He should be working bigger man offense, not doing goofy looking slow motion karate.

• Like 1

Marty the Moth is legit one of the better entertainers in wrestling today. Hell yeah. Dario, Mil Muertes, and Catrina were the other acts in addition to the obvious people that are already with AEW that I adored in Lucha Underground. Mack too but he was always a supporting player there. 

Certainly makes sense. I wonder if they just try to reschedule or they push that war games match to another city (being around thousands of upset New Jerseyans can't be pleasant). 

14 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Certainly makes sense. I wonder if they just try to reschedule or they push that war games match to another city (being around thousands of upset New Jerseyans can't be pleasant). 

They should pull a JCP, and book a 2nd B&G with practically the same lineup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Ha, timing of the comment deserves that reaction, but it wasn’t t so much a believability issue with Marko.  I just find the move as he’s been doing it feels like it leads to a flat finish.  It’s not so bad.  I’d just like to see a nice set-up to it.  Or rather a more suitable finish for Maxwell.  Something like a ddt or a diamond cutter.  Out of nowhere.  I like cross arm breaker as a finish, but for a shooter type.  

His primary finish for the past couple of months has been the Double Cross (Cody’s cross Rhodes) not his submission which I think is fine—except the first time he tried it.

Anyway, looking forward to the Dynamite from the Hardy compound or whatever will happen.

I dunno, I like Luchasaurus' kicks. Pretty cool for a big man, though I agree with the "he should work like a big man" talking point. 

Speaking of which HOLY SHIT DID JAKE LOOK BIG. The guy is standing right next to Lance freakin' Archer and is only like six inches shorter, if that. JR brought up Jake's size on commentary and maybe I never noticed it, he always looked like a lanky guy with a pot belly, not an enormous wrestler who probably was perfect size for '80s WWF. 

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I dunno, I like Luchasaurus' kicks. Pretty cool for a big man, though I agree with the "he should work like a big man" talking point. 

Speaking of which HOLY SHIT DID JAKE LOOK BIG. The guy is standing right next to Lance freakin' Archer and is only like six inches shorter, if that. JR brought up Jake's size on commentary and maybe I never noticed it, he always looked like a lanky guy with a pot belly, not an enormous wrestler who probably was perfect size for '80s WWF. 

One time in Firestorm Pro (Cleveland), Jake grabbed me from behind by the shoulders so he could take my mic and cut a drunken promo on the crowd. He's really big. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

You've got that right.