DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Shades of Bonnie Steamboat - 3/9/2020

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, (BP) said:

If they’re going down this road with Taker, they should have him lean into his age.  Have him cut a promo from his basement full of the model train kits he’s just picked up as a hobby. Have him and McCool show up on Raw in matching If Lost Return to Michelle/I’m Michelle t-shirts. Sell merch that says Dead Man with the E scratched out. Let’s kill that mystique, baby. 

I think they should have done more or less that a few years ago. Ultimately he could have lost a casket match and he could have reverted back to normal service....they still have Kane come back ffs.

But yeah, I'm not sure that promo quite worked if it was supposed to put massive heat on Styles.

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Looks like Asuka/Kairi will have Alexa and Nikki Cross at WrestleMania.  That match has been done gotta be a half dozen times in the last 6 months.  It sucks that they truly have no plan for Asuka outside of 'gatekeeper'.  

The planned match is Kabuki Warriors vs Nattie/Beth Phoenix

Though folks are using Alexa Bliss' tweet as PLANS CHANGE~!

I'm fine with that as I'm guessing the tag titles are Beth's reward for eating an RKO on live TV. Though making it a three way with Bliss & Cross added in would be fine too.. 

11 hours ago, username said:

My dad sends me a message after raw generally and this week he more or less completely turned on McIntyre (a guy he generally loves) as he was horrified at just killing someone's pet for no real reason. I can't really argue the point.

No real reason? It was a giant fucking spider. That thing had to die.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It also wasn't real and Rowan is a heel. Who gives a shit. There's zero sympathy or empathy to give here. If this was something like George the Animal Steel and someone killed his pet then I can understand. In this case, it's fucking Rowan. Rowan sucks, the gimmick sucked, the whole thing made him look like a goof, people actually had to sell being afraid of whatever was in the cage, and Drew thankfully closed the door on this whole moronic ordeal.

Now just repackage Rowan for the umpteenth time. Dude has been a cult follower, a fucking vintner, a wrecking machine with Harper, an eco extremist who wore metal shirts, a dude who wore metal shirts, and a dude who wore metal shirts who carried around a toy spider. Christ, is it this hard to come up with a working gimmick that sticks with this guy so he looks like something that isn't sub-Oddities level?

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The planned match is Kabuki Warriors vs Nattie/Beth Phoenix

Though folks are using Alexa Bliss' tweet as PLANS CHANGE~!

Well, we haven't had our quarterly "ALEXA IS GETTING PUSHED OVER EVERYONE!" hysteria yet, so we're due.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Now just repackage Rowan for the umpteenth time. Dude has been a cult follower, a fucking vintner, a wrecking machine with Harper, an eco extremist who wore metal shirts, a dude who wore metal shirts, and a dude who wore metal shirts who carried around a toy spider. Christ, is it this hard to come up with a working gimmick that sticks with this guy so he looks like something that isn't sub-Oddities level?

I have to admit I was rather curious why they added the whole pet thing. Rowan was doing fine on Smackdown when he feuded with Roman. The dude is actually a decent enough talker.

Edited by Eivion

Just now, Eivion said:

I have to admit I was rather curious why they added the whole pet thing. Rowan was doing fine on Smackdown when he feuded with Roman. The dud is actually a decent enough talker.

He's a total reclamation project at this point. I think getting him back into his Bludgeon Brothers gear would go a long way towards re-establishing him as someone who isn't a goof. This sloppy look worked with Daniel Bryan, but away from him it just looks kinda dumpy.

I also have a problem with the guy's face and beard. Something about it all makes me not be able to take him seriously. There's something that they have to be able to tweak so he doesn't look like a goofball. It doesn't even have to be something big. 

The more I think about it the more I believe they squandered a pretty good angle by killing the spider last night instead of later.

Killing Rowan's Spider should have been like chasing a title. Everyone should be trying to do it, but when they get distracted - he wins and the spider lives another day. 

Could have gotten a sponsor deal and had RAID MAX on a Pole Matches.

Rowan’s best known for being the fourth best/most over guy in a stable of four guys, and there’s a bunch of dudes his size on every brand that could do what he does as good or better. That not even a knock,  he’s just one of those guys that would’ve been better regarded during the territory days as opposed to being on tv in shit gimmicks surrounded by the deepest roster of talent in wrestling history. 

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I have to admit I was rather curious why they added the whole pet thing. Rowan was doing fine on Smackdown when he feuded with Roman. The dude is actually a decent enough talker.

Because Paul Heyman likes stupid shit?

• Like 3

I can sort of understand killing the "pet" if Rowan was say doing the Perry Saturn "Moppy" act and we all knew it was a fake spider, but he loved it so we in turn loved it. Seeing it get squashed by some heel looking for some heat wouldn't be so bad. But this wasn't that. Drew didn't need it. I guess we should be thankful they didn't put like a balloon of blood in there and added a loud squish sound (though they would be the type to do that in post). 

With how much they love to do stupid shit by playing sound effects over the house speakers, I'm surprised there wasn't a squish sound and green goop that squirted out.

IT'S SUCH GOOD SHIT!

Edited by Craig H

Also, speaking of Paul Heyman, looks like he has HHH's position in the company and HHH has a new position in the company. I think. Who the fuck knows. All of their job roles feel like it was spit out by a web bot.

I liked it. And I like Rowan. This "fourth best guy in a stable" bit is malarkey. His and Harper's tag matches were the best thing to come out of the Wyatt Family aside from the Shield matches. Harper gets all the credit for those, and Rowan gets hardly any. It's sad.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1