DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXVI - April 4 & 5, 2020

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Why even make an angle out of it. Just announce that for health and safety reasons, Reigns is unable to make it to WrestleMania, and Strowman is his replacement. Even that would've been better than this.

Do they even talk about Covid-19 on WWE TV? If so, maybe trying to explain it might break one of Vince’s new edicts that he likes to strongly stick by for as long as he can.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Do they even talk about Covid-19 on WWE TV? If so, maybe trying to explain it might break one of Vince’s new edicts that he likes to strongly stick by for as long as he can.

Michael Cole talked about social distancing. Other than that, not sure.

45 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So when Triple H was doing interviews telling people that the whole Roman Reigns not showing up thing will be explained in a "unique" way, he is:

1.  Was fucking with us because well like father like step son

2.  They actually had something interesting to explain the situation and decided to not do it

Either way it adds just another cherry on a shitty sundae

Well, to be fair, he didn't exactly lie. Changing a Wrestlemania world title match the day before the show with no explanation is certainly unique.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So uh... What’s the lineup for each night of the “uniquely” priced double show that’s currently on sale?

I doubt they even know and wouldn't trust them if they announced it at this point. 

I was saying on Twitter the other day that I don't know how they can even make an angle out of it if they shot SmackDown three or four days before Mania/Roman backed out. Presumably Roman wasn't going to shoot an angle either once he decided he wasn't going to do the match, so I get that put them in a tight place. But then there was the "going to tell the story in a unique way" stuff, that seemed to be how they were justifying false advertising Roman for over a week until the night before the show (that they are trying to sell for $0, $10, $35, and $60 depending on where and how you buy it.)

But now? They just say "It's Goldberg vs Strowman!" without even mentioning Reigns? Yeah, there is no goddamn reason they couldn't and shouldn't have announced this last Friday.

• Like 4

I keep thinking back to Royal Rumble when Alvarez had way more faith in WWE than anyone logically should have had when he said this would be the best build to WM in years. To be faaaaaaair (/letterkenny), he didn't know at that time that COVID-19 was going to shut down the country and lead us to the edge of a depression. Even with COVID and empty arenas though, they could have put together a good enough build to this WM.

Instead they pushed it to two days on a year where they shouldn't have, they didn't announce the full complete card until just now even though they taped WM in advance, and shit like Roman vs Goldberg gets changed to Strowman vs Goldberg with zero explanation. They literally could have said anything to explain why Roman was no longer in the match. The change in that match without any explanation is the most bush league bullshit I can ever think of. There's any number of things they could have said:

• Roman - "Hey y'all, I want to be real with ya, I wanted to fight for that title more than anything, but with my history with leukemia, I'm always in a fight for my own health. At this time, it would be irresponsible for me to put my health on the line and risk getting sick, but you can be damn sure that when this passes, the big dog is comin' for that belt. Believe that."
  • Cole - "Folks, we have some bad news. Due to an injury Roman Reigns suffered training for his match with Goldberg, he will be unable to compete. That's the bad news. The good news is that the title match is still on and  it's even bigger now. Goldberg will now face...THE MONSTER AMONG MEN, BRAUN STROWMAN!"
  • Roman is shown laying in the back, having been beaten down by mystery assailants. He's now out of the match. That gives him both a reason to challenge for the title later and a built in feud with whoever assaulted him when he wrestles again.

Instead they did NOTHING. How creatively bankrupt is that? I mean, come on. At least do something. You had over a week to say literally anything and you didn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Before the world ended, the plan for Edge's match was to have Alter Bridge play his music live.

Would've loved to have seen that for an epic Mania style entrance. Sad.

Ash Costello had mentioned she wanted to perform Brutality for Rhea Ripley's entrance too

7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

When did Arby's get mac & cheese?

Also: How bad is it? I ask as someone who sadly enjoys the occasional Arby's curly fry and "roast beef."

I can't imagine how good it is, but given that it's Arbys, I bet it's expensive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Roman - "Hey y'all, I want to be real with ya, I wanted to fight for that title more than anything, but with my history with leukemia, I'm always in a fight for my own health. At this time, it would be irresponsible for me to put my health on the line and risk getting sick, but you can be damn sure that when this passes, the big dog is comin' for that belt. Believe that."

Which was never going to happen, because it would require acknowledging life beyond the WWE Universe. If it's a major terrorist event on US soil, sure, Vince will pretend something is happening. But a virus? You millennials are fuckin' soft, pal.

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

When did Arby's get mac & cheese?

Also: How bad is it? I ask as someone who sadly enjoys the occasional Arby's curly fry and "roast beef."

They added it a few months ago and It's good but Chik-fil-A's Mac is much better. 

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ugh.. this reminds me of when Janet Hubert was replaced by Daphne Maxwell Reid.  It wasn't great then and it's not great now. 

Janet Hubert made herself persona non grata. This is a little different.

I was planning on seeing this at my friend's house.  All my closest friends live an hour away, so more often than not I only really get to see them for the supercards, and even then, because of my job, I usually take off the following Monday to recover from the late night drive.

It usually isn't even about Mania, it's usually about seeing good friends, cooking up.some hearty contribution to the ersatz potluck we organize, and cracking jokes while wrestling happens to be going on in the background.

Unfortunately, this go-around, my friend's wife has respectfully requested that we forego meeting for Mania; she has an elderly parent and she doesn't want to risk their health.  We don't either, so we're skipping this year's festivities.

Which is okay, because this show looks like it's going to suck.  But goddamn I miss seeing my friends.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

So when Triple H was doing interviews telling people that the whole Roman Reigns not showing up thing will be explained in a "unique" way, he is:

1.  Was fucking with us because well like father like step son

2.  They actually had something interesting to explain the situation and decided to not do it

Either way it adds just another cherry on a shitty sundae

I would bet on 2, and by "interesting", I would assume they had something incredibly tasteless and cooler heads prevailed in the end.

3 hours ago, nate said:

I was planning on seeing this at my friend's house.  All my closest friends live an hour away, so more often than not I only really get to see them for the supercards, and even then, because of my job, I usually take off the following Monday to recover from the late night drive.

It usually isn't even about Mania, it's usually about seeing good friends, cooking up.some hearty contribution to the ersatz potluck we organize, and cracking jokes while wrestling happens to be going on in the background.

Unfortunately, this go-around, my friend's wife has respectfully requested that we forego meeting for Mania; she has an elderly parent and she doesn't want to risk their health.  We don't either, so we're skipping this year's festivities.

Which is okay, because this show looks like it's going to suck.  But goddamn I miss seeing my friends.

I'd actually propose that just this once, since we are all social distanced, Rippa allows for open live reaction threads during Mania. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

To make the Braun decision worse, when was the last time he was on smackdown to begin with?   Since losing the IC title he has been kind of irrelevant to the product.  

Well based on the schedule the shows are 3 hours long.  4 if you count the pre show

Edited by hammerva