DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXVI - April 4 & 5, 2020

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

"And here is Teddy Atlas to ramble on incessantly about how wrestling is a put up job, how it has changed since the days of Bruno Sammartino and Pedro Morales, and how his Transcendental pro wrestling rankings will fix everything."

Max Crabtree, on whether Pro-Wrestling is real or not: "There's only one straight business in the World, and that's Wallpapering. That's a put-up job. Everything else, someone's got an angle on it."

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

So when Mania spoilers leak, do we start a new thread? 

There's all ready some floating around on Twitter. I assume it's just the first night so far. It would have been one LONG show if it wasn't over two nights if they're real.

Since I don't see a thread with SPOILERS on it I assume that the tapings haven't happened yet.  But to be safe I will be a SPOILER on it

Spoiler

So I guess no Goldberg match then?  or maybe a unification match against Brock?  

• Like 1

Well, the cat is out of the bag and it will probably be announced formally tomorrow.  But the reason for the change is because the individual in question did not feel comfortable performing at the PC.  

And judging on his past health history, I 100% do not blame him.  

• Like 7

On 3/22/2020 at 8:31 PM, (BP) said:

At least they didn’t edit it down to an hour like the old NBC “replays.” I’ve never completely recovered from them recutting Taker’s entrance at 27 as a music video featuring Katy Perry’s song Alien. 

Oh wow. I had pushed that out of my head haha. My family was watching this "replay" with me and my sister LOVED this part. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 10:20 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I said "I'd laugh if he actually pins him"

I was wrong. I wound up just staring in shock for close to a minute.

My buddy whose apartment we were watching it at lived above a cheesesteak place. I went to go grab our food because I "know how it's going to end." The bar on the corner was showing it as well and I heard people flipping out so I kinda rushed to the patio to see the ending. It was surreal to see. Walked into the cheesesteak place and the kitchen guys were watching it there too. Probably the last moment like that I can remember with casual fans being involved in the moment as it happened in addition to hardcores, as opposed to bringing it up a day or so later. 

15 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Sounds like Reigns replacement is going to be

Reveal hidden contents

Braun.

Good thing there isn't a crowd. Can imagine how a Mania crowd treats this.

Edited by Six String Orchestra

I don't understand why Mania is still going ahead.

It would actually hype people up more if they put it on hold until say Thanksgiving. Spend 6-8 months hyping the matches. Put out a Becky Lynch doco, give us a sit down interview with Shayna and show her working out. Talk to Ronda about her friend etc.

Works wonders for UFC.

If they are going to have 16 matches then you could give each match a 2 week build package of interviews, key matches, highlights, training videos etc. Run them all once in order and then again to fill out the time and give anyone who missed it the first time a chance to watch. Last week before Mania is the hard sell, getting everyone back together (still no touching/matches for the Mania crew, let the lower card guys get some time) and then the huge release is Mania Night 1.

At this point it's just Vince trying to tell the world that he can't be stopped. Lord help him when one of the roster tests positive. I dont even want to think about what happens if someone is put in the ICU or worse...

Given that they taped at least through Mania or the night after, I really hope Vince is ready to shut down after this. I wish AEW would as well. They are just dancing too close to the fire.

But it is awfully convenient that the city/county shutdown went into place late on the night they were scheduled to end taping, and right now ends literally just in time for what is believed to be the first new show they would need.

As for the spoiler

Braun isn't exciting, but I'll be damned if I can come up with a better choice in this environment. You don't want to rocket strap somebody new and have them not get the giant pop. The only other answer I could see was turning either Cena/Bray into a triple threat and have Cena try for the record, or Brock/Drew into a Two Belts unification triple threat like the women had last year. But I think both those things would be wasted in an empty building with two weeks of build.

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

Since I don't see a thread with SPOILERS on it I assume that the tapings haven't happened yet.  But to be safe I will be a SPOILER on it

Hide contents

So I guess no Goldberg match then?  or maybe a unification match against Brock?  

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Why wasn't this postponed again? 

The only kind of defense I would say is that we don't know when we'll fully be on the other side of this and back to normalcy, so they can do a full on WrestleMania event like this as planned.

So even if WWE were to postpone this through say June or July, could they really make it happen by that point? 

Edited by TheVileOne

20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The only kind of defense I would say is that we don't know when we'll fully be on the other side of this and back to normalcy, so they can do a full on WrestleMania event like this as planned.

So even if WWE were to postpone this through say June or July, could they really make it happen by that point? 

Probably not but I'm thinking just postpone it and not set a date until they know they can do it.  If they can't do it in Tampa then move to a different location.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Probably not but I'm thinking just postpone it and not set a date until they know they can do it.  If they can't do it in Tampa then move to a different location.  

I mean I basically agree. This whole endeavor feels like a waste IMO. Other than making it two nights, which I've been in favor of for a long time. 

Even if you don't know when shows can get up and running again, I think they should've held off. It's a global pandemic and everyone is shut down right now. 

I get the argument for running it, but they should've taped every fucking thing two weeks ago, and have everyone home by now. Like, the night they made the announcement about no crowd WrestleMania, that's the week they should've done marathon all day tapings and gotten five weeks or so in the can

I also get the argument for postponing the whole damn thing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I get the argument for running it, but they should've taped every fucking thing two weeks ago, and have everyone home by now. Like, the night they made the announcement about no crowd WrestleMania, that's the week they should've done marathon all day tapings and gotten five weeks or so in the can

I also get the argument for postponing the whole damn thing.

There is no argument for holding it now. They basically took $15 million from a live gate, put it in a pile and set it on fire. If some network/streaming service offered up a stupid amount of money to broadcast the show than it would make sense but they aren't making anything on their biggest show of the year. It's lunacy.

• Like 2

There's definitely no business reason, but "we don't know how long it'll be until we can" and the fact that this company is abjectly terrible at building programs that last four weeks makes the idea of them trying to stretch this out another 2-6 months horrifying. Running Mania now let's them, potentially, shut down starting today and then pick up with most if not all storylines blown off and they can start fresh in the summer or whenever.

Now, if they don't try to make SummerSlam or Survivor Series into the biggest event possible once they are running again, they're insane.