DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXVI - April 4 & 5, 2020

Dolfan in NYC

XXX was the last time I had a WrestleMania party where the show was entertaining and short enough that people didn’t politely file out before the main. I finally stopped having them because by the end of the shows it was technically the following day and I’d be sitting by myself watching matches that got me thinking I should’ve also walked out of my own house. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Doing 30, which opened with a great match and closed with a great moment makes sense, even if the actual show isn't real good. Doing 32, which was the first "holy fuck this is way too long" Mania, and had basically one good match, is dumb.

Not showing 31, which is far and away the best Mania of the network era and ends with the best match of the night... That's just insane.

So, they might be taping WrestleMania this week, along with all the TV leading to it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

32 is pretty bad. League of Nations, Lesnar/Ambrose, and HHH/Reigns as the main event are all terrible. Jericho/Styles was okay but not near the level it could have been. It does have Charlotte/Sasha/Becky for the new title, that one was rad, and Zack Ryder's moment if that's your thing. Odd choice but hey, content is content.

I forgot like half of these things and I was at the show. It also had Shane jumping off the cell.

Regarding Studio-Mania, I wonder if they'll ever show highlights from it, or if it gets memory-holed. Sucks for McIntyre and Baszler who were lined up for the "Mania Moments" this year.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thank goodness. I need my New Japan fix.

You are gonna have to wait a little more as the are supposedly targeting March 31 as their return date

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

probably, as I'm sure they don't want to feature AEW's Chris Jericho going over WWE's AJ Styles

This reminds me of when WWF ran a Survivor Series special featuring matches from previous years on USA during the Monday Night Wars. There was a match featuring Hogan, but they had whoever introduced it say something shitty like, “This was when he was HULK Hogan and not a sad shadow of himself.” 

• Like 1

Cole tonight said that the shows would be in their entirety or something to that effect, which I just can't even begin to imagine. Especially since 35 is well over 5 hours and starts airing 4 hours before Mania night 2 starts.

20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

can they even get all the talent there with the travel restrictions?

I was semi-joking when I said that originally. I have no idea what the restrictions are. If they are just kept somewhere for two weeks and let free after showing no symptoms or getting no positive tests then it actually isn't the worst idea, especially since they probably couldn't book any decent sized buildings fast anyways.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I hope there are no managers or run_ins on that womens six way at Mania or they might go over the 10 person limit. 

Yeah, I'm a little surprised they didn't change plans on that one. With the ref, commentators, ring announcer, time keeper, that's over ten at ringside right there

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, I'm a little surprised they didn't change plans on that one. With the ref, commentators, ring announcer, time keeper, that's over ten at ringside right there

Just to over think this thought experiment - the commentators don't have to be at ringside/in the same building. Heck they could be in CT (like how the call the Saudi shows for example)

A single person can do ring announcing/time keeping and again doesn't need to be at ringside for that.

So you only have 7 at ringside. (There are always going to be more than 10 people in any given time)

Of course the easier way to run the match is have it be a gauntlet match.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

Japan is allowing shows again. They should move the show to Japan.

While they haven't been as hard hit as some other places, part of me can't help but think they're doing this because they desperately want the Olympics to go on. Hard to justify having them when all other events are cancelled.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

More interesting to me is that Carmella isn't in that match. I wonder if she is one of the folks who has chosen not to work while this is going on.

Supposedly (I.e., I saw on Twitter) that she has some sort of immune deficiency and is quarantining, which is also why Graves hasn’t been there.

I mean AEW had more than a dozen people in one section of the arena at the same time. Maybe two dozen.

I guess it depends on whether they are using the old 25 persons CDC guideline or the new 10 person guideline.

Dr. Fauci said he doesn't think there's much difference between 10 and 25.

So according to PWinsider, Wrestlemania and the weeks before it will actually be taped next week.  I think I saw that 3/25 was Night 1 and 3/26 was Night 2

If true, at least now we will be able to find out who is leaking spoilers much easier.