DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXVI - April 4 & 5, 2020

Dolfan in NYC

38 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wasn’t the whole point of WWE signing more indie talent was to hurt the indies after they decided to piggy back off Mania? That’s what it always felt like to me, and NXT basically became the “alternative” for hardcore fans with that indie talent coming in.

No, that has just been the paranoid assumption of indy fans. HHH always wanted NXT to become another brand and that wasn't going to happen with just trainees. The hiring craze WWE has been on has basically been him being greedy and likely trying to set up for NXT/WWE brands in other countries because it been one of his big dreams for like a decade or so now.

Edited by Eivion

Maybe they could get some fancy LED screens like they used for the Mandalorian and simulate a crowd.

Or more realistically, they take another look at their Mania finishes and save some of their big moments for when they have a larger crowd again, hopefully Summerslam.

This is going to be even stranger years from now. I don't understand why it has to be now, why it was so important it happen April 5th. Because no one else can? Lose a billion his way than lose a million like everyone else? That's all I can guess at.

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

I do find this interesting. For all the shit and jokes people made about WWE and Vince waiting to cancel it apparently would have been better for all of those indy feds if WWE had waited until forced to as well.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I hope I am still alive to enjoy the incredible revisionist bullshit that will happen in 20 years to explain why Wrestlemania was in an empty arena performance center.  

Vince has already banned the word "coronavirus" apparently going by the fact that they won't say it, it's "special circumstances" and dumb shit like that.  He's nuts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wasn’t the whole point of WWE signing more indie talent was to hurt the indies after they decided to piggy back off Mania? That’s what it always felt like to me, and NXT basically became the “alternative” for hardcore fans with that indie talent coming in.

This seems like something Austin Aries would tweet.

Couple ideas for Mania.  

- Have Asuka on commentary.  

-Have multiple "channels" to add to the viewing experience.   

Example 1:  A legends watch along.  Watch as they react to what's going on on-screen and their analysis.  Limit it to 2-3 people in a room. 

Example 2: Same thing with current wrestlers.  Maybe for a women's title match have a few of the women in a room speaking on it. 

20 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Vince has already banned the word "coronavirus" apparently going by the fact that they won't say it, it's "special circumstances" and dumb shit like that.  He's nuts. 

As long as you dont have to take an emergency vehicle to a medical facility.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Lose a billion his way than lose a million like everyone else?

You hit the nail on the head. Just look at the history of the man: XFL. WBF. WWF New York. WWF Niagara Falls. He's addicted to stretching that dollar until it snaps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since there will be no crowd, they can pretape and edit every match beforehand so nothing has to be LIVE. I say go all out with that and film/edit every match like an over produced action movie. Why not go all in with the thing at this point? 

54 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Since there will be no crowd, they can pretape and edit every match beforehand so nothing has to be LIVE. I say go all out with that and film/edit every match like an over produced action movie. Why not go all in with the thing at this point? 

We might end up with maggots on the mat again. ?

Since it will be an empty arena, unless someone inside the company leaks spoilers, they could tape this all in advance.

It's still a terrible idea. All of this empty arena wrestling sucks, even worse than just having douchebags in the audience.

1 hour ago, MonteCarl said:

They probably are thinking of going full “Russo” with this endeavor. Especially with them not being committed to booking more matches for TV.

1 hour ago, MonteCarl said:

There's this promotion out of Brighton (UK) called Riptide Wrestling that actually does exactly that. Watch this:

There's a rumor going around on rasslin' Twitter that the move to the Performance Center is to show their insurance provider that they tried to reschedule the show despite cancelling the show in Tampa themselves, but the move is being done with the anticipation that the city of Orlando will actually not allow WWE to put on WrestleMania from the PC - and then they'll recoup their insurance money since the company tried and failed due to a city cancelling the show, and move the show to MSG in June (and thus making up a previously cancelled March house show).

Not endorsing the rumor, but I thought it was an interesting conspiracy theory.

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

There's a rumor going around on rasslin' Twitter that the move to the Performance Center is to show their insurance provider that they tried to reschedule the show despite cancelling the show in Tampa themselves, but the move is being done with the anticipation that the city of Orlando will actually not allow WWE to put on WrestleMania from the PC - and then they'll recoup their insurance money since the company tried and failed due to a city cancelling the show, and move the show to MSG in June (and thus making up a previously cancelled March house show).

Not endorsing the rumor, but I thought it was an interesting conspiracy theory.

The first part is kinda (and I'm even being loose with that) logical because this morning on WOR, Dave is talking about people doing their warmups in the car to follow the President or CDC recommendations. That is some straight up ghetto shit right there. However, if you think about it, why couldn't they do that to get the insurance money with the move they just made? The city of Tampa laid down an ultimatum essentially which left WWE no other choice. With Orlando, it would be the exact same thing. If you couldn't get it from what happened in Tampa, how the fuck are you going to get it from Orlando? It's only been slated to be there come April 5 a matter of two or three weeks. Moreover, I doubt the city of Orlando was gushing over the idea of WWE bringing this burden to their doorstep.

The MSG part is ridiculous because it's fucking NYC and the NBA is already talking about starting back in late June with no fans in attendance still. Moreover, with the amount of sporting events, concerts, and other rec activities that have been cancelled/PPD, they would be fighting like hell to get a spot in June. Keep in mind, the city might be still shut down then so you would need a crystal ball to feel confident to do that. Why does it have to be MSG when you can book a stadium in June when the weather will be quality almost everywhere and you don't have to compete with NCAA football or the NFL for dates? Plus, the gate will be bigger than what you would have in an arena that seats 21,000.

Also, it don't sound like they are booking for June. It would be idiotic to proceed as if you going ahead with Mania on April 5 and then swiftly do a turnabout with another additional two month plus build. You can say, "Oh, they can do a Clash type show in between called ________ and kill time." Then you're reneging on what was planned for WrestleMania, and also trying to squeeze out that last little bit of toothpaste over several weeks. You're going from one disaster to a much bigger disaster.

My best guess/suggestion is, assuming this show goes ahead at the PC on the 5th, would be to take it on the chin, shut everything down for as long as necessary, and start thinking about the idea of something like "WrestleMania at SummerSlam" or Survivor Series. Do your best to build one of those into the biggest show of the year.

I do think this move to have it at the PC is shortsighted.   You don't see Universal saying "okay,  let's just put the Fast & Furious movie out for streaming"..   Yes,  they are doing that for movies that have already been released but they are not taking a billion dollar event and saying fuck it the show must go on...  

They figure they will make the money up at a later date.  Vince should have suspended it and figured out something to do in the meantime and then run it when they can.