DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXVI - April 4 & 5, 2020

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Wrestlecon has cancelled.  Sad to say but this may be the end of not just Wrestlecon but Highspots

This is going to bury a bunch of Indies.

• Sad 1

I think a lot of these businesses, like Highspots, really bank on the WM weekend. It likely helps buoy them for the rest of the year. Different example, but there's a ton of hotels and other stuff here because of Notre Dame. It's a whole industry. These hotels bank on there being a home game season for them to rake in money. Without it, these places would be in trouble.

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It was alright for one Smackdown but WrestleMania with no crowd at the PC?  That's brutal.   Maybe they could film the matches and then CGI the crowd in post.

I say make it like American Idol. Triple H and his old Kliq buddies can be judges and bury everyone. That's the only way I would watch this horseshit.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't understand how it's gonna bankrupt Highspots, it's not like they don't have money coming in from all the stuff they sell online.

They put down a hefty deposit, venue isn't refunding it yet because Tampa hasn't officially nuked gatherings yet.  So it doesn't meet the proper clause for a refund, so not only does Highspots have to refund the tickets, they're stiffed on the deposit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't understand how it's gonna bankrupt Highspots, it's not like they don't have money coming in from all the stuff they sell online.

Many of these companies rely on the Mania payday. It's just what it is I guess and it sucks...  but hey restaurants and bars and everything are closed here in CT this is going to be hell for a lot of people,  I can't begin to put into words. 

Well if I understood correctly they have to pay back the hotels for all the rooms that weren't sold under the agreement.  So assuming that everyone is going to want their money back they have to pay for basically every single room.   Plus all of the refunds for tickets and events.  Barring generosity they aren't making a dime from this wekend

Nobody knows how much they are saving in case of said emergency but I can't imagine it is that much.  If I read twitter correctly, they have to pay the hotels alone about $100,000.   

Edited by hammerva

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

They put down a hefty deposit, venue isn't refunding it yet because Tampa hasn't officially nuked gatherings yet.  So it doesn't meet the proper clause for a refund, so not only does Highspots have to refund the tickets, they're stiffed on the deposit.

Ouch. I did not know that.

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I say make it like American Idol. Triple H and his old Kliq buddies can be judges and bury everyone. That's the only way I would watch this horseshit.

He was already doing a pretty good job of it last Friday.

• Thanks 1

So say if the WWE ran Mania week. Wouldn’t they have still lost money on it? The Hall of Fame ticket sales were super slow, Mania wasn’t selling out, and the other Mania week shows weren’t going to draw either.

I can see this being a blessing for them. The federal government might actually compensate them for any financial damages caused by this pandemic.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Guest Edwin

WrestleCon tweeted they will be in Los Angeles next year.

I know the Collective tweeted they would go through with the events even if WWE cancaled and they were allowed to put their events on, but Joey Janela and Brett Lauderdale tweets pretty much indicate they will have to cancel, also.

Lauderdale's tweet pretty much gives off a vibe they maybe done. Not a big GCW fan, but I loved the Bloodsport cards and it makes me sad seeing people's dreams fade.

Edited by Edwin

6 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

I know it won't happen ..... but for the sake of some good PR - surely someone at WWE could suggest helping these guys out in the short term. 

Wasn’t the whole point of WWE signing more indie talent was to hurt the indies after they decided to piggy back off Mania? That’s what it always felt like to me, and NXT basically became the “alternative” for hardcore fans with that indie talent coming in.

Man, they are going to rehearse the shit out of Mania to eliminate  spot calling. They won’t even need to even to go by fan response to garner heat.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

38 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wasn’t the whole point of WWE signing more indie talent was to hurt the indies after they decided to piggy back off Mania? That’s what it always felt like to me, and NXT basically became the “alternative” for hardcore fans with that indie talent coming in.

No, that has just been the paranoid assumption of indy fans. HHH always wanted NXT to become another brand and that wasn't going to happen with just trainees. The hiring craze WWE has been on has basically been him being greedy and likely trying to set up for NXT/WWE brands in other countries because it been one of his big dreams for like a decade or so now.

Edited by Eivion

Maybe they could get some fancy LED screens like they used for the Mandalorian and simulate a crowd.

Or more realistically, they take another look at their Mania finishes and save some of their big moments for when they have a larger crowd again, hopefully Summerslam.