DVDVR Message Board

HOLLYWOOD LOVES MONEY (Box Office $$$ and Stuff)

RIPPA

On 5/26/2021 at 10:10 AM, Matt D said:

putting on a movie is a big commitment relative to a TV show

i would rather watch a stand-alone movie than start a tv show that i will feel compelled to watch the entire season (or series, depending) of.

to be fair, i don't watch a lot of either.

• 3 weeks later...

Fast 9 did $70 million over its first 3 days domestically.

It has made almost $405 million worldwide making it the highest grossing movie released during the pandemic

It should easily pass Quiet Place II as highest grossing movie of 2021 (domestically) so far

That being said QP2 has quietly (yes I hate myself) made over $136 million so far

• 2 weeks later...

Black Widow made over $215 million its first weekend

The breakdown

$80 million domestically

$78 million internationally

$60 million via the Disney+ premium service

It is the new "largest opening in the pandemic" movie and the largest domestic opening weekend since Rise of the Skywalker

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Black Widow made over $215 million its first weekend

The breakdown

$80 million domestically

$78 million internationally

$60 million via the Disney+ premium service

It is the new "largest opening in the pandemic" movie and the largest domestic opening weekend since Rise of the Skywalker

Came here to post this tweet. I’d be interested to know what the previous premier access movies made, because releasing this info seems like a warning of sorts to theaters.  That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if a) this made due to being an MCU movie and b) there’s a pretty steep drop off in premier access revenue after the first weekend.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:00 PM, Raziel said:

$60M off a streaming service for 1 weekend isn't anything to sneeze at.

it's good but that's the worldwide streaming number i believe to put some context to it.  Some were adding it to the $80M to give the domestic number $140M but it's probably more right around $100M or so..   Good numbers.  Week 2 will be interesting.  

With WB releases still free on HBO Max,  not sure we will see anything challenge Black Widow at the box office. 

BW had one of the biggest 2nd week drops in Marvel history so that has allowed the media to touch itself while writing lots of DISNEY+ HAS RUINED MOVIES~! stories

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Free Guy did above expectations doing $51 million Worldwide (just over $28 million was domestic)

So unsurprisingly - Disney is already saying they want a sequel

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shang Chi is up to $176.9 million domestically after three weeks. It will almost assuredly pass Black Widow for biggest post pandemic release.

In fact the $21.7 million it made this weekend was the 2nd highest total for the third weekend of a Sept release ever (talk about a niche stat). It came in only behind IT (2017)

On 8/15/2021 at 3:13 PM, RIPPA said:

Free Guy did above expectations doing $51 million Worldwide (just over $28 million was domestic)

So unsurprisingly - Disney is already saying they want a sequel

Free Guy is up to $108 million domestically (it was under when I made that Jungle Cruise post above).

It has also made $189.7 million Worldwide mainly because it has done really well in China ($85.6 million there to be exact)

The Dear Evan Hansen is this year's Cats look to be dead on

DEH opened to just $7.5 million for the weekend with only $3.3 million on Friday

Cats did $6.6 million its opening weekend in Dec 2019

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Dear Evan Hansen is this year's Cats look to be dead on

DEH opened to just $7.5 million for the weekend with only $3.3 million on Friday

Cats did $6.6 million its opening weekend in Dec 2019

From the looks of the reviews vs revenue, your analogy is pretty accurate.

• 1 month later...