DVDVR Message Board

HOLLYWOOD LOVES MONEY (Box Office $$$ and Stuff)

RIPPA

I wonder if this release slate is going to backfire. What if this summer window is the best you could hope for and the second wave hits super hard in late September on? Realistically, you're looking at six or seven major films in 2 1/2 months and then back dormant again.

43 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

you'll see a lot of stuff like Avengers, Jurassic Park, etc for the first few weeks to try and have something with mainstream appeal

Drive-ins have been doing that already; our local has done Twister, The Goonies, and Jaws among others. I can see a few retrospectives among the regular houses for sure. 

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - the sneaky weasly thing that AMC was going to do (and still might) was "Oh you want to wear a mask. We will sell you one for a dollar"

If they actually do this I'll be happy to never patronize them again. 

• 3 weeks later...

AMC, Regal and Cinemark are suing New Jersey because they have yet to allow for the reopening of movie theaters

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/movie-theatre-giants-sue-new-jersey-unconstitutional-covid-19-closures-1302152

Jersey is only in their Phase II and movie theaters are in Phase III

And yes they are saying it is a violation of First Amendment rights

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Basically instead of Universal (and Focus Features) having to be exclusive to theaters for 70 days they only have to be exclusive for 17 days (three weekends)

The new multi-year dea applies only to AMC's US theaters, and it's unclear whether other studios will enter this new model in the future.

The announcement between Universal and AMC (AMC) is a watershed moment for Hollywood.

Theaters and studios have been grappling for years over the "theatrical window" — or how long a film should be available in theaters before being offered on other platforms. The window usually ran for about 70 days, but now — at least for Universal — has been cut down to just 17.

For Universal, the studio is given the choice to release films for at home rental and purchases much faster than it has in the past. It can also keep films in theaters past the 17-day mark if wants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alamo Drafthouse will begin re-opening theaters starting on Friday with more added next week.

As a promotion - they are offering a free screening of Bill & Ted Face the Music on Wednesday, Aug 26

In the announcement - they made sure to state that Tenet, New Mutants and Bill & Ted were "made for the big screen experience"

They have also launched a service were a family can rent an entire theater for $150

Besides the usual "must wear mask, don't come if sick" - they will automatically add a 2 seat buffer around your seats based on your party (I hope that includes in front and behind).

They are also gonna try to and have people exit by row as to not bunch up the doors and hallways. Good luck with that.

I just discovered the county is setting up a pop-up Drive In Theater - ironically in the parking lot next to the Alamo Drafthouse less than a mile from my place.

Now that I would go to (depending on what they are showing)

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 2:19 PM, RIPPA said:

I just discovered the county is setting up a pop-up Drive In Theater - ironically in the parking lot next to the Alamo Drafthouse less than a mile from my place.

Now that I would go to (depending on what they are showing)

Follow-up on this - discovered it is being run by Alamo Drafthouse

Basically it will be a combo of new movies and classics. Like it starts tonight with New Mutants but I know at some point they are showing like Jaws.

It's $30 per car and that only covers 2 people. You have to pay extra for each person beyond 2 (though I haven't seen what that price is).

$15 is basically what the Alamo charges normally so I get it but unless they are offering some sort of food service too then it really is a non-starter for me.

Okay - I looked in a few other places were this could have gone and didn't see anything so I am putting it here since I think it falls more in a business aspect

https://film.avclub.com/the-new-mutants-finally-opens-this-week-here-s-why-we-1844833667

Basically the AV Club is not reviewing New Mutants

The A.V. Club won’t be reviewing it, however. At least not this week, and probably not for many afterwards. A few days ago, we reached out to Disney and were informed by representatives of the studio that they would not be providing press with either an advance screening of the film or a digital review link. In other words, the only way critics will be able to see The New Mutants is if they buy a ticket and go to a theater, just like everyone else. In normal times, that’s exactly what we’d do: Studios will sometimes decline to screen a movie in advance of its public premiere—often, it must be said, when they’re afraid that reviews will be negative enough to hurt attendance. (Maybe The New Mutants is a train wreck. Or maybe Disney just thinks it is.)

So basically - it is going to be interesting going forward the next few months to see how each movie handles this

Yeah, I am under the impression that someone wants New Mutants to tank in the worst possible way. 

Fucking Bloodshot is on Epix already just two weeks after being removed from VOD queues.  Meanwhile NM is in theaters only.  No VOD streaming.  No Disney+

Let's see if it can take the top spot from Unhinged, which grossed a mere $4 Million last weekend.

Edited by J.T.

New Mutants did $7 million its opening weekend for a bit of context as theaters sorta re-open.

Bill & Ted don't really count since it is also available On Demand too

Tenet did “only” $20.2 million over the first three days

I use my air quotes because there really is nothing to compare it too. It has made $150 million worldwide

I am guessing it’s enough for WB to keep releasing their movies but I don’t really see anyone else jumping back in the game

Warner seems to be reversing course on their (frankly baffling) policy of only allowing Tenet to be shown at Drive-In theaters in areas where indoor theaters are actually open. At the very least, it's playing at an L.A. drive-in now.

I legitimately have no idea what that policy was meant to accomplish.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I legitimately have no idea what that policy was meant to accomplish.

I honestly think they thought they were gonna get some sort of special permission to be able to run LA and NYC

But yeah - apparently that was part of the reason for the Wonder Wonder 84 delay (again) is because Warner Brothers is hoping to still show Tenet in those two cities