DVDVR Message Board

HOLLYWOOD LOVES MONEY (Box Office $$$ and Stuff)

RIPPA

So apparently all this time I thought I had been commenting in the current year BO thread. Then looked at that was 2019 and the last time I posted was mid-Dec

Where the fuck has this year gone?

Anyway

Onward has the second lowest opening for a Pixar movie with $40 million (putting it just past The Good Dinosaur). Word of mouth is supposedly good so it should be okay. It also is being hurt but worldwide ticket sales being down in general.

Also - Sonic the Hedgehog will almost assuredly pass Detective Pikachu this week as highest grossing video game adaptation domestically.

Well to the surprise of no one - the weekend box office cratered

It was weakest cumulative weekend box office results since 1995

Because of basically no one going to the movies, it is virtually impossible now for Onward to not finish as the lowest grossing Pixar movie ever

Bloodshot only grossed a quarter of its budget on opening weekend, but IIRC it's gross made up nearly half of the weekend BO.

Bloodshot?  Bloodbath is more like it.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

The few remaining drive in movie theaters in states that don't have stay home orders are apparently doing business for now, though, of course, there are no new movies coming to them.

Otherwise, well, box office reporting has been halted.

• 5 weeks later...

According to The Wall Street Journal, in its first three weeks of VOD release, Trolls World Tour has shattered Digital records, earning nearly $100 million in digital rental fees with almost 5 million rentals after the movie debuted on April 10

Universal Pictures shared that the sequel, with a $90 million budget, has already garnered $77 million in revenue, according to Joblo, with additional revenue coming from music sales thanks to the soundtrack as well as merchandise. According to the outlet, the Trolls sequel has already made more money for the studio than Trolls did during its five months in theaters. NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell told WSJ that “the results for Trolls World Tour have exceeded our expectations and demonstrated the viability of PVOD. As soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats.”

So yeah - things are gonna change around here....

For crap films like Trolls World Toursure.

But I think most people nowadays go to the theater for the whole experience (popcorn, stadium seating, soda from a fountain instead of canned/bottled, seeing a movie with a crowd), so I think more bottom of the barrel stuff will go straight to VOD, but the event films will still get a big screen tour.

• Like 1

Pretty sure that if they switch to VOD optional, the only movies we're ever going to see in the theater again are canon-heavy effects movies that we'd want to see in a crowd before spoilers (Marvel, Star Wars), certain animated sequels for the kids (your Frozen 3s), or really FX heavy sci fi movies (think Valerian) that need to be seen on a big screen. And maybe a rerelease (not remake) of Casablanca/Maltese Falcon. 

Marvel, Star Wars, Fast and Furious, etc... Billion dollar movies probably won't go VOD early, but this might be the end of of theatrically released mid-level movies (something people had already been predicting for years)

• Like 1

To me, its similar to the argument about going to sports vs TV.

hassle of going to place, concession prices, dealing with jerks vs staying at home, big TV, less costs. 

Admittedly, the prices arent as drastic for movies, but its in the same ballpark. And i say that as someone with out the complications of children entering the equation. 

I generally only went to the movies in last few years to see something before being spoiled, be it a marvel movie or QT/Anderson picture.

I think sports has one advantage, that "I was there" feeling that only happens with a one time only live event.

But I bet attendance will be brutal when things start opening back up to crowds.

Man... AMC really didn't like Universal saying "we expect to release movies on both formats".

https://deadline.com/2020/04/amc-fires-off-note-to-universal-in-wake-of-jeff-shell-wsj-statements-on-windows-trolls-world-tour-exhib-wont-license-studios-movies-1202920415/

It is disappointing to us, but Jeff’s comments as to Universal’s unilateral actions and intentions have left us with no choice. Therefore, effectively immediately AMC will no longer play any Universal movies in any of our theatres in the United States, Europe or the Middle East. This policy affects any and all Universal movies per se, goes into effect today and as our theatres reopen, and is not some hollow or ill-considered threat. Incidentally, this policy is not aimed solely at Universal out of pique or to be punitive in any way, it also extends to any movie maker who unilaterally abandons current windowing practices absent good faith negotiations between us, so that they as distributor and we as exhibitor both benefit and neither are hurt from such changes. Currently, with the press comment today, Universal is the only studio contemplating a wholesale change to the status quo. Hence, this immediate communication in response.

Oscars 2021 announced they're going to accept streamed films. (Without a theatrical release.) The 'new normal' is going to look a bit different after all the dust has settled. Doubt they'll be able to walk this decision back if the virus goes away (like a miracle.)

Yeah the Hollywood Reporter story is fun since it is everyone just using the press to take shots at each other

I also like that there is another group using NATO

Well, AMC isn't doing well during this anyway, but they did this to themselves.  The distrubuters can release whatever the fuck they want wherever the fuck they wany.  But it costs damn near $100 to take a family of 4 to a movie in some metro areas (like NYC/Philly), for the one showing (don't get me started for how much I dropped for the Dine-In, fucking hell never doing that again).  They did Trolls for $20 for 48 hours, unlimited showings during that 48 hours.  Yeah, we'd see a ton more non-Blockbuster movies at that price point, since all we do now is the Major stuff (Marvel, Star Wars, Disney/Pixar).

Are you saying you paid for food at a dine-in movie theater for a family of 4?  Good Lord.

It would almost be cheaper to pay for a babysitter, dinner for two at a Michelin starred restaurant, and a month of Netflix.

The distributors get anywhere from 60-90% of a box office ticket sale. In the best of times theater chains’ profit margins are low. The business model has been doomed for a long time, but it’s not like they were price gouging for the hell of it. 

Just now, S.K.o.S. said:

Are you saying you paid for food at a dine-in movie theater for a family of 4?  Good Lord.

It would almost be cheaper to pay for a babysitter, dinner for two at a Michelin starred restaurant, and a month of Netflix.

Yeah, didn't fully research and thought taking the kids to see Secret Life of Pets at a Dine-In would be neat.  $200 later, fucking hell, would've been cheaper to take them to the Cheesecake Factory next door then to the movie at a regular theater.

But that's the point.  We rented Trolls 2 for $20, and had popcorn and drinks already at home so we spent 80% less than going to the theater.  So there's a market for the VOD release system.

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

The distributors get anywhere from 60-90% of a box office ticket sale. In the best of times theater chains’ profit margins are low. The business model has been doomed for a long time, but it’s not like they were price gouging for the hell of it. 

I get the gouging, but it's not a sustainable model (much like concession gouging at pro-sports arenas and Broadway Theater), it's eventually going to eat itself because it's too expensive for most people to do.

This NATO place is suddenly getting the big push

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1133144-tenet-projecting-low-box-office-opening

Warner Bros. may be sticking to their guns with the July release date of Christopher Nolan’s highly-anticipated mystery blockbuster Tenet, but new reports are showing that should theaters be open in time that the studio is projecting a low box office opening.

In an interview with Variety, National Association of Theatre Owners’ CEO John Fithian revealed that plans are in place to open major chains AMC and Cinemark back up by mid-July just in time for the openings of Tenet and Disney’s Mulan, with the former slated for July 17 while the latter is planning a July 24 date, including planning new guidelines to space out showtimes and feature multiple theaters with the same movies as they will be the only two new films in circulation.

------------

Despite much anticipation for both films, Fithian noted that they are not expecting either tentpole project to have a massive opening, but hopes that with strong word-of-mouth for both could help yield strong box office returns for each.

“Our members are motivated to make sure that these films do as well as possible,” Fithian said. “We feel like Disney and Warner are demonstrating their belief in the theatrical model by doing this, so we’re going to go the extra mile. I think that traditional windowing will make sense for these movies. They will play a lot longer in theaters than they would have a year ago. They won’t open to the kind of numbers they would have a year ago, but there’s going to be tremendous word-of-mouth. People are going to love ‘Tenet’ and share that on social media.”

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The thing that is baffling me about all of the let's reopen the economy talk is that it takes for granted that people are actually going to show up to these businesses which I don't see happening.  Do you know how disgusting a movie theater is?  The movie theater is the last place I want to go when things start to open up.  

• Like 1

After these other live-action Disney remakes, is it wise to be banking on positive word of mouth for Mulan? 

Like supremebve said, movie theaters are filthy and no assurances about their cleaning practices will make me think otherwise. If Paramount could go ahead tell me when Top Gun: Maverick will be available on demand, that'd be great.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy