DVDVR Message Board

HOLLYWOOD LOVES MONEY (Box Office $$$ and Stuff)

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This just gave me a laugh. The Tenet trailer that was on TV said "the number one movie in the world"... well sure when it's the ONLY fucking movie in the world ?

To be fair, how many times have we've seen "the number one new comedy" when there are exactly zero other comedy movies out in the theaters? That and "number one new release" meaning it was #2 or #3 overall for that week, but the best performing new release that week.

59 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is Bill and Ted Out of Theaters already? 

It is still in 800 theaters but remember it was also released On Demand at the same exact time as its theater release so it hasn't even made $3 million in the theaters yet

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

They are re-releasing Empire Strikes Back in theaters. 

When cinemas opened back in England, that was one of the movies along with The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Shawshank Redemption, The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Back to the Future.

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, but this is just so on the nose. ONLY MOVIE IN THE BOX OFFICE.

To be honest, that would be a more baller brag. It's the KRS One line of, "I'm not saying I'm number one. Sorry, I lied...I'm number one, two, three, four, and five."

• Like 1

Well there was this report that Mulan did huge numbers on Disney+ but then some other articles came out saying Disney was in other words exaggerating the numbers so I'm not sure straight-to-VOD is the answer right now either.  I mean at least not at $37 (factoring in you actually have to have Disney+).  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Well there was this report that Mulan did huge numbers on Disney+ but then some other articles came out saying Disney was in other words exaggerating the numbers so I'm not sure straight-to-VOD is the answer right now either.  I mean at least not at $37 (factoring in you actually have to have Disney+).  

I think we'll know how successful it was for Disney based on whether they do another movie this way or not. If it was a successful as the rosiest reports, they'll almost certainly do another one. 

I'm not sure a single movie coming over to Disney+ will necessarily prove what the success of Mulan is because now that so many movies have been rescheduled there really isn't going to be a place for them. 

I'd say if Black Widow moves to Disney+ then we know it's where they think they'll make the most money. 

Doesn't sound good, I wonder what the plan is now. Edit: If you don't want to read the story in the link basically Mulan didn't do great on Disney+ like originally thought and then also didn't do well in the theaters overseas. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/09/mulan-box-office-pandemic/616433/

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Doesn't sound good, I wonder what the plan is now. Edit: If you don't want to read the story in the link basically Mulan didn't do great on Disney+ like originally thought and then also didn't do well in the theaters overseas. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/09/mulan-box-office-pandemic/616433/

Not much difference between $261 million and $60-$90 million. None at all.

• Haha 1

The thing is, Tenet was the only movie that was released exclusively to theatres, and it's done poorly at the box office. So straight away that is extrapolated to "The pandemic has killed the cinema industry, DELAY EVERYTHING!". But the thing is, Tenet isn't very good. It had good trailers, yeah, but had it had a normal release it would have had a big opening weekend and then a huge drop when the word of mouth was not complimentary. Nolan is going to get a pass on having made a flop, when really it would have been a box office disappointment anyway.

If there was no covid regardless of the quality (I haven't seen it myself)  TENET would have easily surpassed probably $500M+ with ease..   maybe more.  

All we know for sure is that of the two big releases this Summer the one in theaters didn't do well and the one on streaming also didn't do well.  

So we don't actually have an answer of which is the best way moving forward.. 

Tenet was so confusing and confounding that I would think that overwhelming negative word of mouth would have hurt it. I've read even more articles about it and talked to a friend that saw it and I'm more confused than ever. He also had a completely different take and thought

Spoiler

the turnstiles would allow you to make infinite copies of yourself and there were at least 3 copies of Robert Pattinson running around at the end of the movie.

I'm still looking forward to watching it again at home when I can turn closed captioning on and can actually see what in the fuck everyone is saying in the movie. Easily the worst sound production I've ever endured in a movie. 100x worse than Dark Knight Rises.

Deadline is reporting that Bill & Ted Face the Music made $32 million via On Demand services

With the domestic box office still ailing, studios have been keen to make their finished films revenue events to the widest audience possible, maximizing profits by whatever means.

For MGM’s Orion, that meant releasing the long-awaited Keanu Reeves-Alex Winter threequel Bill & Ted Face the Music on Premium VOD and whatever theaters would play it (as the top big three circuits and some mid-sized theater chains don’t play day-and-date theatrical PVOD titles; Bill & Ted 3 was booked at 1,007 theaters, its widest point on opening weekend). The pic in its stateside theatrical release via United Artists Releasing has grossed $3.3 million since its August 28 opening, but in the pic’s PVOD run sources tell us Bill & Ted Face the Music has notched around $32M. The movie hit theaters on a weekend that 62% of theaters were open. Bill & Ted Face the Music was available on PVOD for $19.99.

The movie directed by Dean Parisot cost an estimated $25M, but MGM didn’t finance the title; rather, it took a domestic distribution for a fee in the low percentile vicinity of 15%. It’s important to note that MGM, as opposed to other studios that are sending their features to PVOD, had no skin in Bill & Ted Face the Music outside of $15M in estimated marketing costs. The studio, after its deal with cable and digital providers, will see an 80% take of Bill & Ted 3‘s PVOD monies for an estimated $25.6M. Out of that comes MGM’s distribution fee of $3.8M, plus it will recoup the $15M ad bill.

MGM was generous with those non-big-circuit theaters who booked Bill & Ted Face the Music, with some exhibitors telling us the split was quite favorable to them at 70%, which yields roughly $1M in theatrical rentals for the studio. That leaves Bill & Ted 3 with $7.8M in revenue before video and TV costs.

Still, film finance sources agree this puts MGM in a good position to profit down the line, even if the outlook on downstream windows such as digital (October 20) and Blu-Ray/DVD (November 10) are opaque. Even though MGM didn’t have foreign on Bill & Ted 3, and the movie won’t benefit from its rich TV foreign output deals, the big-swing moneymaker here on the threequel is possibly pay TV. Updated: MGM is putting the movie out through sister pay-TV network Epix, and sources estimate the studio could still mint a pre-negotiated rate based on the pic’s estimated domestic box office in the $5M-$12M range. MGM would take a fee on that and pass the rest off to the financiers. The question becomes whether the financiers of Bill & Ted Face the Music remain OK under this release model.

I wonder how much Jaws made this summer. Friends of mine went to a double of Frankenstein and Bride and are going to one of the original Halloween and the good remake this Sunday. They had like three Universal horror double features in a row including that one, I think the others were Dracula and Wolf Man, Invisible Man and The Mummy.