DVDVR Message Board

HOLLYWOOD LOVES MONEY (Box Office $$$ and Stuff)

RIPPA

Cineworld - which I have never heard of so I am guessing its a different part of the country then where I have been - has also announced that they will no longer carry Universal movies

Because clearly this is what is going to save the theaters after this is over... not showing movies people want to see

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Presumably, at best, theaters will be 1/2 empty by not selling every other seat. 

Popcorn is going to cost $75 a bucket.  Seriously, they do not make a profit on movie tickets, they have to sell overpriced concessions to make money.  If they only have half full theaters, they will go out of business.  

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Certain states are starting to reopen theaters now, with no movies scheduled for two and a half more months. I can't imagine how that's gonna work for those places.

Plus, even with them reopen, there's still going to be a decent amount people not wanting to go to the movie theater.  Add that with what you said above with no big mainstream movie coming out soon and that's probably not going to lead to great results. I guess it's better than being closed, but I feel you gotta have a movie draw or at least plan to draw.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Basically all 3 are encouraging people to wear masks but it isn't required. (Employees at all 3 will be required) However, if you are in county/state that requires it (whether it be phrased as "public space" or "indoor public space" then you do need to wear a mask.

They are all relying on some form of government to make the decision so they can "not be political"

Edited by RIPPA

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Apparently same for Regal and Cinemark

Nothing good will come from this. 

AMC at least backtracked due to the backlash. We'll see about the others.

Edited by _MJ_

We have Malco theaters down here, but in my area, all of them are still closed AFAIK. However, it looks like the ones that are open have made face masks optional.

Oh, BTW, Northwest Arkansas is becoming the epicenter for the state.

I'm in danger.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Sad 1

LOL @ America in 2020 where a political party thinks taking the minimum health precautions is part of the liberal agenda, and stupid-ass businesses are afraid of falling in line with common sense because they don't want to offend absolute morons.  We just need to convince right wingers that not putting your dick in a blender is totally a liberal thing.

Not only should those theaters require masks if they're going to reopen, it wouldn't be a crazy idea if they actually provided masks too at these theater locations (like 3D glasses)for attendees for their employees'/ attendees' safety....but it's America. I'm sure that sounds like a wild, impossible mission.

Edited by _MJ_

This one isn't surprising and I am a little pleased about it since they are the only place I go but Alamo Drafthouse has stated they will require masks

And considering they haul you out for talking and won't let you in if you are late - you know they will actual enforce the mask wearing

EDIT - and they will give a mask to anyone who needs one

• Like 2

I'm gonna guess the first couple of months theaters are open will be filled with either stuff that was in theaters when they closed (Onward, The Hunt, etc) or you'll see a lot of stuff like Avengers, Jurassic Park, etc for the first few weeks to try and have something with mainstream appeal (even though all are widely available on home video now). What's the first big release, Tenet? That's end of July right?

7 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

What's the first big release, Tenet? That's end of July right?

Correct

Though about two weeks before Tenet comes out they are re-releasing Inception to celebrate the 10th anniversary

Christopher Nolan is really really pushing that Tenet "has to be seen with the theater experience" and part of the reason why they still think it will come out in July

Oh wait - I forgot that Mulan is still claiming to be coming out on July 24

Disney already delayed that once, obviously. I wonder how long they are gonna wait